The Great Escape

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I searched the web and wow - is it hard to find decent information on this "enhanced deer antler growth" topic :;:huh

of course there's plenty of articles about how to spend money on your own property with "miracle big buck" supplements and such - ha ha

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya great article he guess and assumes stuff but if it fits your narrative....... This right here pretty much discredits any thing he says from a scientific stand point.

Maybe it's too many steroids or food supplements? Maybe it's medication and living in a rarefied environment? Maybe it's donating more sperm than their bodies can handle.
My guess is it's the genetics. I'm no genetics expert,
He is simply admitting the things he doesn't know. I find that refreshing. Since you think that's lack of credibility why don't you clue us in then.
Since they pay thousands for a straw of sperm I would guess it is genetics. What's your guess?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m sure it’s “all of the above”. It’s genetics. It’s supplements. It’s catching lightning in a bottle sometimes. Not all that different from raising a prize winning angus bull. These are highly managed and expensive animals. That rancher probably lost about $60000 that weekend. You’d think he would have a better fence to protect his assets. I’m sure he’s the nicest guy in the world but a big mistake was made.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is they die because their heart quits beating........ If we are guessing i would think maybe genetics but not steroids as they would be muscled up as roids are for muscle growth and not bone. I would also guess they have tested these animals for any and every disease as they are so valuable. So knowing if they have cwd or any other disease should be easier to find than just guessing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would imagine they carry insurance

At some point the non-typicals become absolutely grotesque to me. The huge typicals are pretty amazing though.

I will never shoot a farm deer I know that. It's gross to me - but I feel others should be able to if they want.

- - - Updated - - -

this is hormones I am pretty sure - ha ha ha

420buck.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BUT....
"On a cold November day in 1926, Carl Lenander Jr. dropped a monstrous Minnesota buck with a single shot. Field-dressed, the deer weighed 402 pounds. The state Conservation Department calculated its live weight to be 511 pounds. No heavier whitetail deer has ever been recorded"

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never shoot one either. Hell if i had to walk sloughs and shelter belts or sit in tree stands dont know if i would even hunt wild deer but i agree that if that is others cup of tea and they are legal and not breaking laws drink away.

This is the thing the antis love splitting people up who like the out doors. Like trad archery vs compound, archery vs rifle hunters, cap and ball muzzle loader vs inlines. We all need to get with it or eventually they will take each sub group out one by one till we are all left with nothing.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be clear, I am perfectly ok with the operation but I don’t consider high fence shooting as hunting. Once it’s behind that fence it’s livestock. Raised for legitimate business and profit. If someone wants to pay me a shit ton of money to shoot my cow, my only question will be if they want it loaded on the trailer before or after. But the difference is there is no wild aurochs for domestic cattle to infect. There are lots of wild deer. CWD doesn’t just pop up six states away from infected areas for no reason. I hope the guy was testing. I’d like to know.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is they die because their heart quits beating........ If we are guessing i would think maybe genetics but not steroids as they would be muscled up as roids are for muscle growth and not bone. I would also guess they have tested these animals for any and every disease as they are so valuable. So knowing if they have cwd or any other disease should be easier to find than just guessing.
Steroids is a pretty generic term. There are hundreds, probably thousands of different things that can be used to get desired results when it comes to the human body and i assume the same is true for deer. No they would not gain a bunch of muscle using the type of steroids body builders use. You actually have to be working out extremely hard as well, if you took those roids and did nothing you would just get fat, along with most workout supplements, weight gainers etc.

I have to think those deer are getting something to help boost those good genetics. Its like being Mr. Olympia, you need unbelievable genetics and an unbelievable amount of shit pumped into your body, to feed your muscles and help them recover as you work out 8 hours per day.
images.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steroids is a pretty generic term. There are hundreds, probably thousands of different things that can be used to get desired results when it comes to the human body and i assume the same is true for deer. No they would not gain a bunch of muscle using the type of steroids body builders use. You actually have to be working out extremely hard as well, if you took those roids and did nothing you would just get fat, along with most workout supplements, weight gainers etc.

I have to think those deer are getting something to help boost those good genetics. Its like being Mr. Olympia, you need unbelievable genetics and an unbelievable amount of shit pumped into your body, to feed your muscles and help them recover as you work out 8 hours per day.
169516-women-model-brunette-red_lipstick-green_eyes-face.jpg

I would assume something like a testosterone booster would be of more help than a steroid. Maybe they need to start having the deer doing some resistance training

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Testosterone is technically a steroid. Antler grown is a combination of hormones and mineral intake. If a deer has the genetic code to pump out more hormones + exogenous hormones that are injected + a feed mix high in the right minerals/ratios = you get a big, antlered deer. I don't think it's one factor by any means. As to the story, if one of these walked in front of me, you best believe I'm shooting. Hell would freeze over before I paid $20K to shoot one though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

At some point the non-typicals become absolutely grotesque to me. The huge typicals are pretty amazing though.

I will never shoot a farm deer I know that. It's gross to me - but I feel others should be able to if they want.

- - - Updated - - -

420buck.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BUT....
"On a cold November day in 1926, Carl Lenander Jr. dropped a monstrous Minnesota buck with a single shot. Field-dressed, the deer weighed 402 pounds. The state Conservation Department calculated its live weight to be 511 pounds. No heavier whitetail deer has ever been recorded"

I wonder if a 243 would bounce offa that summbitch?

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

420buck.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BUT....

It doesn't look that cold to me. Grass is green. No gloves. No hat on bald head. Also, color film was not patented until 1932. However, the picture is on the internet, so it must be real.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry for the confusion - I posted that 1926 factoid as a reminder that farms aren't the only one capable of such weights

nature can accomplish amazing things too

- - - Updated - - -

the huge deer is a 400lb plus farm deer

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Free deer and not have to tag it. Win win. I'd shoot one just for the meat. I imagine the guy claimed insurance on those bucks so he didn't want them back.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

420buck.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BUT....

Guy,

I do remember reading that little factoid of yours in a book of record deer from Minnesota. It also had a picture of said deer. I should see if I can find it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if a 243 would bounce offa that summbitch?
I'm pretty sure my fucking truck would bounce of that big old Bastard!

As to the steroids go there just normally an artificial testosterone or some other growth hormone and it's testosterone that dictates when and how fast and even some of factors that lead to how big the antlers will get. In the end it's like a plane crash everybody wants to blame it on one thing but the reality is it's normally a chain of events and in this case it's going to be everything combined into one big buck form genetics, testosterone, supplement feeds and anything else they use to make a giant deer.

Nean Delson

I'm pretty sure my fucking truck would bounce of that big old Bastard!

As to the steroids go there just normally an artificial testosterone or some other growth hormone and it's testosterone that dictates when and how fast and even some of factors that lead to how big the antlers will get. In the end it's like a plane crash everybody wants to blame it on one thing but the reality is it's normally a chain of events and in this case it's going to be everything combined into one big buck form genetics, testosterone, supplement feeds and anything else they use to make a giant deer.

Yes, what he said.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the thing the antis love splitting people up who like the out doors.
It's no more sporting than shooting deer out the window of a moving truck. These people are not sportsmen so it isn't separating sportsmen it's separating sportsmen from slob shooters.

We all need to get with it or eventually they will take each sub group out one by one till we are all left with nothing.
That sounds good on the surface, but we have taken out market hunters, we have taken out spot lighters, we don't allow shooting deer from an aircraft. A civilized society has laws. Time after time I have seen people on here complain about road hunters. That's no different.

i agree that if that is others cup of tea and they are legal and not breaking laws drink away.
I don't know how many times I have heard people say "well as long as it's legal". They need to go back to grade school. We would never have thought we would get to shooting deer inside a pen and calling it sport. So lets say lasers get cheap enough to be lethal on deer to 5000 yards. No aiming over, and at 186,000 miles per second there is no lead. There are no laws against it so I guess we just let then fry deer to their hearts content. Or would we as sportsmen be responsible enough to outlaw such weapons? Some states outlaw 50 cal, some states outlaw crossbows, some states allow handicapped to use crossbows. Saying as long as it's legal is simply irresponsible and not giving a crap.

I would also guess they have tested these animals for any and every disease as they are so valuable.
That would be my guess too, but it's a guess. Even when they find them we hear about people arrested for moving known infected deer at night across state lines. Minnesota to Tennessee if memory serves me. Then there was the game farm in (was in Minnesota or Wisconsin) that had a tree mysteriously fall on his fence and release his deer after they tested positive for CWD. When have we ever contained something like this when profit is involved?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the neg rep asstard for me posting pictures of the deer and writing "dumb" in the comment section.

Finally broke the neg. Rep cherry though!!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 40