The Great Escape

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Runaway deer from area game farm meet their fate in rural Vergas; as shocked hunters unknowingly bag escapees–for trophies of a lifetime[/h]
deer 1.jpg

deer 2.jpg

Three Vergas area deer hunters shot specimens of a lifetime the first weekend of deer season.
Three animals, all weighing more than 200 pounds each–and antler points by the dozens–were shot by three flabbergasted hunters.
They don’t grow deer like that around these parts–except in an enclosed fence, with a feeding bin and a water trough–at a game farm.
And that’s what these deer were–“escapees” from the nearby Mike Summers Game Ranch, a 50 acre operation in rural Vergas.
The prison escape “couldn’t have happened at a worse time,” said Summers: The Friday night before the Saturday, Nov. 4 deer hunting opener.
These big deer, on the run from their incarceration, were big, big targets for wide-eyed hunters.
The six escaped after coyotes managed to dig their way into the enclosed area–causing such a violent commotion that the deer managed to push the gate open, according to Summers, who usually averages about 75 deer on his 50 acre game farm.
“It was a real opening day surprise for the hunters,” said Summers. “These were nice, mature bucks.”
Stunned was Casey Lyden’s reaction when the immense buck chased a doe toward his deer stand shortly after sun-up.
“Oh…My…God…,” a shocked Lyden said to himself as he took aim Lyden hunts on about 160 acres owned by his father, Ken, in Hobart Township, northeast of Vergas.
He took one shot, and then a second after the deer ran about 100 feet. The deer fell.
When he went to inspect the animal, he saw a tag on its ear. Its antler rack tallied 29 points; and it was pushing 250 pounds in weight.
Wanting to do the right thing, Lyden decided he had better call the Department of Natural Resources when he saw the tag. At the time, he wasn’t sure what the implications were with an unusually tagged deer.
“I really wasn’t sure what to do with it,” said Lyden. “I didn’t even know there was a game farm around there, it was a surprise to me.”
The episode also came as something of a surprise to DNR conservation officer Chris Vinton.
“I don’t think the DNR had ever experienced something like this either,” said Lyden, with three trophy bucks–all on the lam from a game farm–were bagged within basically a few miles.
The other two lucky hunters were Jeff and Greg Ratz, hunting in the same general area. One of the Ratz boys would have had a 32 point buck–but part of the antler was broken off, so it came in at 23 point, noted Lyden.
“I had heard through the grapevine that some other hunters got the game farm deer,” said Lyden, who searched them out.
Basically, the DNR concluded that the deer were “fair game” if they were out on deer hunting opener.
“It’s a weird story…what are the odds that the deer would escape the night before deer hunting opener…and the odds of one running past my deer stand are pretty wild,” said Lyden, 31, who has been hunting “as long as I can remember.”
He plans to mount the deer, and the Ratz boys are reportedly also planning to take their specimens to the taxidermist.
As far as Lyden is concerned, it is a legitimate mount– “It was in the wild; it was chasing a doe,” he said.
In fact, the DNR even allowed Lyden to use his deer tag again–since the buck was an escaped game farm animal and, officially, not on the DNR’s native deer “roster.”
Lyden is, however, restricted from entering the buck into a deer contest or the record books–since it was not, technically, a “wild” deer.
Summers managed to get three of the six escaped deer back. But as for the three that wandered to their doom, Summers acknowledged that the animals were “fair game” to the unknowing hunters. Summers has raised deer for about 25 years, for re-sale, and also for hides and for urine to hunters for scent marking.
Hunts for the disabled is a special mission of the Summers ranch, and he usually hosts about six special hunts a year to give the disabled and handicapped an opportunity to hunt.
A final note on the story:
In the hours leading up to the 2017 Minnesota deer hunting opener, there was a song and a melody running through Casey Lyden’s head–constantly. It was one of those goofy, novelty, seasonal tunes like “Second Week of Deer Camp,” or “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.”
The recording: “30 Point Buck.”
“I was singing that song all afternoon on Friday,” said Lyden. “The next day, I shoot a 29-pointer!”

https://pelicanrapidspress.com/2017...apees-trophies-lifetime/#sthash.32yo4CyW.dpbs

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome. That third buck is a hoss with all that plantation and he gets to keep hunting to boot!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s fine for the three lucky guys but that is unacceptable as a whole for hunters and the wild deer population.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
worried about disease or some such?

as far as super racks - like domesticated dogs, I imagine “superdeer” would get diluted back to average in just a couple generations of breeding with average deer

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
75 deer on 50 acres? Kinda crowded isn't it?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
There must be a mistake I have been told over and over they don't escape.

You just can't help yourself. :cool:

An animals first instinct is flight so the key is to get them acclimated to noises and sights. My dog runs around among them so a coyote isn't going to alarm them much. Motorcycles, tractors, shotguns, they get used to it.

I've never had a farmed elk go over under a through my fence. However, I have error-ed many times leaving a gate open. They are easy to locate usually standing by the fence of another elk pasture. They are a herd animal.

A couple years ago my friends Buffalo got out. They went several miles until they found something they liked. Another fellow was building a house and had the ground bare all over. No cement poured. They even went in the house and rolled in the fresh dirt. Had the place pretty tore and shit up.

Chasing them home was a hoot. They knew the way and thundered across wheat fields etc. We had to drive like hell to get ahead of them in order to open the gate.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not understanding why they get to keep them. They're obviously private property with known owners. Maybe the owner didn't want them back but I would assume those racks have some value. Would be pretty exciting until you found out they are pets; then major let down. Would I get to shoot a cow in MN that's out of a fence and get to keep it?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not understanding why they get to keep them. They're obviously private property with known owners. Maybe the owner didn't want them back but I would assume those racks have some value. Would be pretty exciting until you found out they are pets; then major let down. Would I get to shoot a cow in MN that's out of a fence and get to keep it?
Is there a cow hunting season over there? If so then you probably could. Just like they are making it so if a guy shoots a trumpeter swan in ND even though they're a protected species its legal because it's near impossible to ID one from a tundra if not flying with each other. Hell if I remember correctly if a Buffalo gets out of the park their fair game because they're not protected under North Dakota law.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the guys farm. Real nice guy invited my dad brother an I out to feed the bucks. Lot of time and money into these deer!20170819_202447.jpg

20170819_202447.jpg

20170819_194954.jpg20170819_194954.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

IF there were wild cows running around, AND there was a season on them, and that season was open.....THEN YES would could shoot it and keep it.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

as far as super racks - like domesticated dogs, I imagine “superdeer” would get diluted back to average in just a couple generations of breeding with average deer

They are feed special food. STEROIDS!!! Which in my opinion has more to do with it than Genetics!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Disease transmission would be my main concern, yes.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are feed special food. STEROIDS!!! Which in my opinion has more to do with it than Genetics!
I toured a deer farm this spring and asked, "how do your deer get so big?". The farmer informed me that they get semen from a few different deer farms and artificially inseminate. Iay be wrong, but steroids are for muscle (soft tissue), not something boney.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya great article he guess and assumes stuff but if it fits your narrative....... This right here pretty much discredits any thing he says from a scientific stand point.

[FONT=&quot]Maybe it's too many steroids or food supplements? Maybe it's medication and living in a rarefied environment? Maybe it's donating more sperm than their bodies can handle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My guess is it's the genetics. I'm no genetics expert,[/FONT]

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only posted it to start the discussion - I have no clue what goes on at the farms

- - - Updated - - -

clue us in please

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's precisely why I advocate practicing "safe" breeding. It's 2017, use protection!

This is a great idea but lets be realistic, deer just dont have the dexterity in their hooves to put the condom on their erect penis.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88