Underwater Camera decision

tommygun23

Established Member
Alright, I've decided I need an underwater camera but I don't know which one. I want to keep it small so it's between the aqua vu micro series and the Marcum Recon. I'm looking for any input on either. I know the 5in screen would be preferable but how would the 3.5in screen of the micro be? Also, is the DVR option a necessary bonus?

Thanks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm honestly in the same boat as you. I think I'll stay smaller with the recon, but I don't know if I really need the dvr capabilities. It'd be fun to have something to watch at home, but that's about it.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a marcum that hooks to my cellphone through wi-fi and like it. I can take videos with it and it even pans left or right with a swipe of the screen.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Vexilar fishphone for the when we are in the wheel house and when we set up a portable and love that I can use my old devices with it or hook it to the TV. My friend has the micro which sucks when you are fully setup and jigging but great for exploring and finding transition points on bottom or weed lines.

tommygun23

Established Member
DVR would be nice but direction indication would be even nicer. Anyone have any reviews on the recons or aqua vu's?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cFish camera which is no longer made but the #1 feature is the ability to rotate the camera mechanically rather than twisting on the chord. I don't know much about the cameras being discussed here but if 1 of them has a way to turn it without twisting the chord, I would go that route.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just used my aqua view micro last week... water clarity is a big thing and the lights on it don't do anything for night vision... it was very handy for scouting to find fish and it worked well to figure out what the bluegills were wanting (very light bite)

the main thing I am looking at now that I have used it is a tripod to hold the camera in the house and a pan head to hold it in one position and maybe turn it with more precision

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Aqua vu 360. It has 4 cameras and when you hook up to a big tv thats when its handy and works real good. You have 4 separate screens.

Would buy another one if I could find one.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've liked my Recon 5 so far. Comparing the Aqua View and Recon side by side in the store made me pick up the Recon. I don't have DVR or direction as I usually just use it to scope structure and water clarity.

mills423

I have the Aqua View Micro and a Vexilar Fish Scout. I attached the Micro to my FL18 Genz box basically for portability. The only thing I will say is the Vexilar's camera is more stable and easier to get the lense set in the right direction. I found the Micro wants to spin sometimes even if you add a weight to the bottom of the camera lense. If I had to choose I would go with the Vexilar.

defiant1

Honored Member
Alright, I've decided I need an underwater camera but I don't know which one. I want to keep it small so it's between the aqua vu micro series and the Marcum Recon. I'm looking for any input on either. I know the 5in screen would be preferable but how would the 3.5in screen of the micro be? Also, is the DVR option a necessary bonus?

Thanks

I have the RECON 5. It is not perfect, but it does what I need it to, specifically identifying bottom structure, lure action and of course the presence of fish (and which type). Of course, water clarity and water current will impact how well the camera performs. I originally hated trying to transport and handle the RECON. It was cumbersome to use while hole hopping, especially when trying to leave it in its carrying case and strap around your neck. I was constantly fighting with the camera cord. So, I finally mounted it to the lithium shuttle my LX6 mounts to and now it is very user friendly. Good luck on whatever you decide to get.

d1

Attachments

RECON 5.jpg
Last edited:

tommygun23

Established Member
I ended up getting the Recon 5 for a pretty good deal, now I just need to find a lithium shuttle on sale so I can run that mount option...

defiant1

Honored Member
I ended up getting the Recon 5 for a pretty good deal, now I just need to find a lithium shuttle on sale so I can run that mount option...

You may be able to use the regular shuttle that your current flasher is mounted to. I don't use the power supply from the shuttle, but could if I wanted to. I make sure the Recon is charged before I head out and don't leave it running all the time. I also have a power box to charge the camera instead of pulling juice from the lithium shuttle.

For mounting purposes I just used RAM mounts I had laying around. Good luck with the Recon 5.

d1

Attachments

Recon Mount.jpg
Last edited:

tommygun23

Established Member
I have the LX7 with the regular case and man does that thing suck. Is the shuttle worth the money?

defiant1

Honored Member
I have the LX7 with the regular case and man does that thing suck. Is the shuttle worth the money?

I like it a lot so far. Definitely better than original shuttle. It is a new product this year, so time will tell. My biggest concern is how long the lithium battery (inherent to the shuttle) will last. The replacement battery costs $140 and you have to send it into Marcum to have it installed. Worst case I grab the old shuttle and a 9AH battery and still can use the flasher.

The lithium shuttle is pricey, but it does have nice features to accommodate accessories that a regular shuttle can't match. Hopefully, the price will go down in the near future. I would buy another one if the price went down to the $180 range.

d1

defiant1

Honored Member
Defiant, can you show me how you attached the recon to the ram mount

On the back of the Recon is a female threaded insert. I used a RAM mount ball I had laying around that had the correct 1/4"-20 thread pitch and used that to attach the RAM arm. The 1" RAM ball I used is similar (but not exact) as the one in the link below. There are a variety of versions to choose from. I believe mine is recessed on the top where you can insert an allen wrench to tighten the thru-bolt within the ball. I can take a picture of it when I get home this evening.

d1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059X0YIQ/?tag=nodakangler10-20

**Edit: I stole the RAM ball off of the RAM claw mount listed in the link below. But as I indicated, you could probably use any 1" RAM ball with the correct male thread pitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQNRTDI/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a ram mount with a base laying around the garage. So I would need to get the male-end base to attach.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm torn between the Marcum Recon and the Aqua-Vu AV715C. I see they're both the same price, but I do like that the Aqua-Vu has a beefier camera and cord. Seems like it would be a bit more stable in the water. I've used a few cameras in the past that I borrowed, and the lighter cameras seemed to be more difficult when it came to moving them to get in line with the bait.

Then again, I'm not sure which has better customer service, either. last thing I need is the headache of dealing with a company that won't back their products if something goes wrong on a brand new piece of electronic equipment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56