Plumbing question

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why doesn't water pour out that opening when you crack the valve?

That's what I'm trying to figure out with all of this. I'm going to shut the one valve off tonight, drain that line, and see what it does. On a positive note, I think I'm losing some weight running up and down the stairs to check that friggen outside pipe.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

I thought the pics had been labeled via testing and it was all solved.

as of last night, there's some pooled water in the pipe outside; not necessarily running anymore. The yellow handled valve is just shy of fully open. After some of the conversation today, I'm wondering if there isn't some latent water in that line still. So, drain and check is the plan.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gosh it's gotta be the pressure relief valve on the water heater unless they vented that into the drain.

especially now that I see everything else switches to PVC right out of the main.

water-heater-prv-300x225.jpg

and maybe your pressure relief valve is corroded and unseated - tapping on it might get it to settle back in

maybe this is why messing with valves (thus lowering pressure if any other source in the house is leaky) got it to flow just a bit - but full pressure re-seats it.

tie a baggy around the mystery pipe - go back in the house and give the water heater relief valve a flick and see if there's been flow into the bag

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is a pressure relief valve on the water heater. Water heater, furnace and AC were all new when we moved in. In fact, the whole how was gutted so I'm not sure how the mystery pipe was allowed to live. Espringers, it is NG forced air. I'm positive it doesn't have anything to do with the mystery pipe. This issue only arose after I had to shut the water off to replace an outside spigot.

The baggie thing is a good idea, guy. Really, I'm going to need most of you to assemble in my backyard while I move around some valves. Busch lights are in the fridge. Stellas for guy.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut a hole in the sheetrock and figure it out. You'll be fucking around till Christmas.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I imagine you have already explored asking the previous home owner about said pipe, no? Or perhaps the inspector who told you to cap it initially?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I imagine you have already explored asking the previous home owner about said pipe, no? Or perhaps the inspector who told you to cap it initially?

Previous owner disappears like a damn magician. I've tried to call on a couple of other things. I have a patient that's a plumber and he was sure it was just something with the valves.

- - - Updated - - -

Cut a hole in the sheetrock and figure it out. You'll be fucking around till Christmas.

Not happening.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you shut the outside valve off does it kill water to the outside spickets? If so try shutting it and opening all the outside spickets with the baggy trick and see if significant water comes out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
these things are like $10 now

7a280f51-53b9-42b2-a7a1-252052aa9817_1.da942d040fd4271620f4b8e10f9ec66f.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

screw it - I gotta full tank

be there in about 3 hours - I can't take it anymore

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carla said no. She’s not buying my “BS story about a mystery pipe”.

Also - she said it sounds like code for either devil’s lettuce or a gay encounter and they’ll be “none of that malarkey” on her watch.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carla said no. She’s not buying my “BS story about a mystery pipe”.

Also - she said it sounds like code for either devil’s lettuce or a gay encounter and they’ll be “none of that malarkey” on her watch.

Devils Lettuce, ha ha.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

Also, the line going oustide is the larger main line and the house supply is the necked down secondary? Strange

thats what I was thinking, why is outside line looking like the main and the secondary being the main supply line for the house???????

- - - Updated - - -

Previous owner disappears like a damn magician. I've tried to call on a couple of other things.

- - - Updated - - -
He probably knows your number by now,so he won't answer because he figures you found his fuck ups and doesn't want to explain.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my guess is there was a little water trapped inside that ball valve on the outside of the house and it froze over winter, expanded and split the valve at the seam, may have taken a couple of years to actually expand and contract enough times to weaken the steel. it is actually an easy fix and fairly cheap, buy another valve that can screw into that valve, thread tape it and screw it in, close it and open the bad valve so the water can drain out of it when you drain it and then never open the new valve so it never gets the water trapped inside the ball. I would be willing to trade you to fix this for some crank baits that you don't want to make haha

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
devils lettuce. haha.

- - - Updated - - -

my guess is there was a little water trapped inside that ball valve on the outside of the house and it froze over winter, expanded and split the valve at the seam, may have taken a couple of years to actually expand and contract enough times to weaken the steel. it is actually an easy fix and fairly cheap, buy another valve that can screw into that valve, thread tape it and screw it in, close it and open the bad valve so the water can drain out of it when you drain it and then never open the new valve so it never gets the water trapped inside the ball. I would be willing to trade you to fix this for some crank baits that you don't want to make haha

I went cross eyed reading that. And what crankbaits are we talking about

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19