Votes: 36 38.7%
  • push the nonresident season back two weeks

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • limit nonresident to only private land first two weeks

Votes: 13 14.0%

• Total voters

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think it is interesting most of the opposition is from people who don't hunt west regularly or just like to stir the pot with useless info or smart ass comments looking to derail a thread, meanwhile the silent majority is showing over 50% for moving the NR season back.

we take our lessons from daily tv broadcasts and apply it here.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe 50% of guys think we should move the season back 2 weeks for NRs. ND is already about the most unfriendly state to NRs as it is. If we're going down that road, I think we should push the season back 2 weeks as well for residents that live east of the Missouri River. Doesn't everyone know it's all those Red River Valley a-holes ruining the hunting for the Badlands? I mean it's nothing but a bunch of Cass and Grand Forks county boys just ruining everything out there. Oh and they're stealing all the rifle mule deer tags too so we better do something about that as well.

These are the same guys who call rifle hunters greedy.

Archery Statistics
  • 28,481 - Archery licenses issued (26,114 resident, 2,367 nonresident)
  • 23,003 - Number of bow hunter license holders that hunted
  • 8,900 - Number of deer taken by bow hunters (7,854 whitetails, 1,046 mule deer)
  • 39% - Bow license holder success rate

83% - Hunter success for mule deer buck ( 2017 - 2450 tags = 2034 mule bucks taken by rifle )
86% - Hunter success for antlerless mule deer ( 2017 - 900 tags += 774 mule doe taken by rifle )

When nearly 30% of mule deer taken were by bow I would say that bow hunters are having an adverse effect on population numbers and thus limiting the number of available tags. One would assume that a large portion of the mule deer taken by bow hunters are buck.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

Archery Statistics
  • 8,900 - Number of deer taken by bow hunters (7,854 whitetails, 1,046 mule deer)

83% - Hunter success for mule deer buck ( 2017 - 2450 tags = 2034 mule bucks taken by rifle )
86% - Hunter success for antlerless mule deer ( 2017 - 900 tags += 774 mule doe taken by rifle )

When nearly 30% of mule deer taken were by bow I would say that bow hunters are having an adverse effect on population numbers and thus limiting the number of available tags. One would assume that a large portion of the mule deer taken by bow hunters are buck.
Considering the ultra high success rate of rifle hunting Mule deer, it seems to me like they should just eliminate rifle hunting for Muleys because that is clearly having the greatest negative impact. :)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Archery Statistics

which scientifically speaking would be good for the population as we know females have the offspring. What is a good buck to doe ratio. I know one buck can spread a lot of seed

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
But I can also appreciate the "east hater's" views. It doesn't take exposure to many severely abrasive self-centered a$$holes from WI for example, to develop a distaste for them in general. It's just the way people's minds work. Even though it might only be 10% of the crowd that are actually horrible people.

It's not 10% of 'Sconi's, it's 110% of them!! They're all assbags.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
That has to be the most biast poll ive ever seen. what a joke this is. quit crying and maybe get out off the road more than 100 yards and you should have the place to yourself.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
That has to be the most biast poll ive ever seen. what a joke this is. quit crying and maybe get out off the road more than 100 yards and you should have the place to yourself.
thanks for the input glad you got to put your bias 2 cents in...what would make it less bias in your golden opinion

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe 50% of guys think we should move the season back 2 weeks for NRs. ND is already about the most unfriendly state to NRs as it is. If we're going down that road, I think we should push the season back 2 weeks as well for residents that live east of the Missouri River. Doesn't everyone know it's all those Red River Valley a-holes ruining the hunting for the Badlands? I mean it's nothing but a bunch of Cass and Grand Forks county boys just ruining everything out there. Oh and they're stealing all the rifle mule deer tags too so we better do something about that as well.

not sure if I agree or disagree but my personal story goes like this. Grew up in east, hunted every year. Moved west, know no one, so apply for mulie, they're bigger after all. When I didn't get a tag, I tried to hunt local as money was always and still is an issue. Got frustrated as finding access was tough. As time passed, the tag every 5 years combined with the frustrations of lack of access, age, time, and money led to a mulie tag that never got opened followed by not applying. Would like to deer hunt again, really would like to eat some, but at this point it is not worth the frustration or expense. My loss, and I am ok with that. Seems like everyone wants "fair" but few agree on what fair is.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have much skin in the game as I don't hunt out West and likely never will. The opportunity out there is amazing, though, and if I ever got the time or wherewithal to attempt a western hunt, I certainly would.

What this kind of relates to in my mind is waterfowl hunting. North Dakota has had a delayed opener for NRs for years. It allows resident "first crack" at ducks before allowing NRs to hunt. It's an amazing experience, as anyone who hunts knows the pressure and people basically quadruple as soon as NR opener comes along. But for that first glorious week, it's just us. Much easier to get away from the crowds (i.e. college kids) and find a honey hole to yourself.

I don't see why at least the western hunting experience couldn't be like this without adversely effecting NR opportunities. I mean, sure you might miss out on a velvet mulie (side note: Is that really such a big deal? I had no idea soft horns got hunters so hard...) but otherwise 95 percent of the season would still be available to R and NR alike.

Again, I can only relate in the sense of waterfowl. If it's similar to what I experience with them and ducks, then I can feel your pain with mulies out west.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure if i agree that the rut would make it easier for an archer to kill a big muley in the badlands. speaking with little to no experience of my own, i am led to believe most are spot and stalk situations. seems this time of year would favor that a bit more. they lay down in the morning and sit for hours on end. in the rut, not so much. no?

also, not sure what the point of this information is other than to serve as informational. but, anecdotally, it sounds like bow hunters wound nearly as many mule deer out there as they kill. albeit, some of them probably survive.

Last edited:

Nmariner

Established Member
I dont believe we should push the nonresidents back two weeks. Then again it doesn't really affect me as the weekends my hunting group hunts largely depends on what weekends the three of us can make it out together(damned if it isnt harder to find free weekends every year).

Do other states allow residents to hunt big game earlier than non residents?

A lot of Minnesotans and Wisc hunters simply don't understand how to hunt around others out west. It's frustrating when you see someone walking out towards the area you are in when you know they saw your pickup and decided to walk out anyways and very frustrating when they actually see you and think its "ok" to hunt within a few hundred yards of you. However I get it as most of them are used to stand hunting in the woods. I try to talk to them when I get the chance and explain how much room should be given to other hunters when hunting out west, and most of the time they had no idea they were messing up my hunt and seem to take the advice to heart.

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest problem is all of the oil wells/roads out in the grasslands nowadays. Yes there are still many thousands of acres to hunt in the grasslands but areas where you can get 1-2 miles away from the nearest road are getting to be few and far between thus condensing hunters that naturally want to get away from each other. I spend half my time when searching for areas to hunt on onxhunt marking oil wells...Some people claim the wells don't bother the deer. I don't care either way I don't want to see a oil well in the background when I am enjoying the beauty of the badlands. That being said I will be out west 9/12 thru 9/16 hunting out of the magpie campground if anyone wants to stop for a beer and say hello. I will be in an older 5th wheel that says "rebels nest" on the front. I bought it a few years ago from my grandpa when camping became too much work for his health and although I am no rebel I can't bring myself to take the stickers off :).

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the area I hunt I would say more roads/trails have been closed and reclaimed then made in the last 10 years.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t see how North Dakota could be considered unfriendly to nonresidents. We have very liberal regulations for fishing allowing people from surrounding states to come in and keep and eat 5 walleyes a day with no length limits because they can’t do it in thier own state. That’s very friendly. We have no closed fishing season. Again, very friendly.
I’m in favor of pushing nonresidents back two weeks on the opening of bow season. It’s not just the west but public land I hunt much further east Is loaded with Minnesota plates opening weekend. The quality of our early season public land hunting has went down year after year due to the pressure. Worked well for ducks. Push it back a couple weeks and then they can come and have all the fun they want.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have time to read through all the posts so maybe someone brought this up but why even let non-residents hunt mule dear in ND at all? It takes me 4 to 7 years to draw a mule dear buck rifle tag as a resident. The people that cry that non-residents deserve opportunity I don't agree. If it is so important to you to be able to hunt a state that has limited habitat and wildlife populations maybe you should move here. Now if we in ND had an over abundance of deer and wildlife and hunting access I wouldn't care.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
- - - Updated - - -

your missing the point but you seem to jump to conclusion and put words in people mouths all the time, this isn't about not liking NR or hunting in other states it's about if ND residents should get the first week or two to hunt without NR.[/QUOTE]

Your right I shouldn't assume that someone who starts a thread that is to change a non resident season is doing it because they hate hunting with them on the same opening weekend. But it appeared after the comment was made in your first post using some not so pleasant to the people they are intended for. Why call them "sconi" or "blueplater" if you didn't have feelings about them refer to them as nonresidents.

I think you must my point. The badlands are federal lands. My point was ND doesnt own them so it should be open to the entire public.

I'm flattered that you follow my comments enough that you know the intent of my posts. :cool:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 7