used boat prices

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
17 foot rollers eh? I usually cast the windy shore until the rollers get 15' high, then boat control becomes a bitch

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy just listed a 2000 Lund SS 1700 with 115 Mercury yesterday for $10,000 and it's already gone as of noon today. Boat was kept in very good condition, but wow.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What didnt you like about the 621FS?

Seamed cheaply made popping noise when the plastic heated up was a huge problem I had with it for that kind of money! Vinyl on floor was curling up in places windshield not high enough. There’s good things about it but for 80 to 100 thousand I would think it would be way better built! I’ve been looking at all boats and Vexas has my vote have not road in one yet but hope to soon! Oh yea no beer holder in a decent spot for the passenger!! 😂

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not only boats. I built my house in the mid-70's for about $45,000. Today if I wanted to sell it, houses similar in the town I live are going for $150,000-$200,000. In one of the large cities of the state I'm sure it would approach $300,000. When I graduated from college in the early 70's I could have bought 4 quarters of farmland for $75/acre. Today it would be over $2000/acre. NCentral ND. In college I remember paying $.19/gallon for gas. Filled the muscle car for about $5 and a case of pretty good beer was $6. Bought my first brand new car after getting my first job for $3300, a Ford Gran Torino. I know, way to much for a Ford. Point being, other than technology, everything has increased in price.

Is it worth it? Probably not but the memories might be.

Yep and Minimum wage was $1.25/h and $10000 a year job was what rich people made. I can remember Brand New cars on the Price is Right were 5-6$K. Yep 1975ish. My mom would give me 1$ and I would go to the local drive in get a burger, fires and a small chocolate malt and get a dime back. Then it went up to 1$ and the next year I needed $0.15 AND UP AND UP. My parents would talk of times in the 30's and 40's where 1 nickel would buy a whole bag of candy.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep and Minimum wage was $1.25/h and $10000 a year job was what rich people made. I can remember Brand New cars on the Price is Right were 5-6$K. Yep 1975ish. My mom would give me 1$ and I would go to the local drive in get a burger, fires and a small chocolate malt and get a dime back. Then it went up to 1$ and the next year I needed $0.15 AND UP AND UP. My parents would talk of times in the 30's and 40's where 1 nickel would buy a whole bag of candy.

When I was in grade school in the 50's we could go out to the Forestry fields on the west side of town and pick weeds for the great wage of $.25/hour or $2.00 for an 8 hour day of crawling on your hands and knees. When the Dairy Queen opened a small soft ice cream cone was a nickel. You could go to the A & W and get a baby burger and small mug of root beer for $.15 +$.10 + a penny tax. I remember heading downtown to see a movie and remembered that the price of admission had gone from $.12 to .14 and I had to go home for 2 more pennies! Back then a nickel bag was a small bag of David's sunflower seeds that were absolutely forbidden in the theater.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I would weigh in on the subject since I just bought myself a shiny, used $3000 Crestliner. Apparently I'm in the lower income bracket in North Dakota based on what I see fishing the Missouri River. Unbelievable how much money is parked in the parking lots. I don't understand why people are spending the money on the boats, trucks and campers the way they do in North Dakota. It was eye opening to me when I drove to Washington State last year to go camping. Almost nobody had those kind of rigs. It was tent camping and things were small.

I think some of you are fooling yourself into thinking that spending large dollars on boats and campers will create more or better memories because you will be able to go out more often. The way I look at it, sure you will need a large boat on the reservoir when the weather is crap. But honestly, do you really think your wife and kids will want to be out there when there are 20 mph winds and whitecaps? I would say most kids and wives don't want to be out there then. I sure as shit don't want to be. I like fishing but I don't like being miserable when fishing. Another thing, I know for sure that some of you are getting the big boats, trucks and campers because you don't want to look like me when I go camping. You know, the old truck, the old boat and a tent. Its about keeping up with the Jones'. Its a status symbol but I think in some of your minds you refuse to be honest with yourself and why you need those big rigs. Now if you want to spend the money you do, go ahead. Personally I think its a little sickening to spend that kind of money when there are so many other, better things it could be spent on but that's just my opinion. Maybe its just me being jealous. IDK. Don't hate on me for just stating what I think is obvious. I don't care what you do. I just think you're crazy.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought I would weigh in on the subject since I just bought myself a shiny, used $3000 Crestliner. Apparently I'm in the lower income bracket in North Dakota based on what I see fishing the Missouri River. Unbelievable how much money is parked in the parking lots. I don't understand why people are spending the money on the boats, trucks and campers the way they do in North Dakota. It was eye opening to me when I drove to Washington State last year to go camping. Almost nobody had those kind of rigs. It was tent camping and things were small.

I think some of you are fooling yourself into thinking that spending large dollars on boats and campers will create more or better memories because you will be able to go out more often. The way I look at it, sure you will need a large boat on the reservoir when the weather is crap. But honestly, do you really think your wife and kids will want to be out there when there are 20 mph winds and whitecaps? I would say most kids and wives don't want to be out there then. I sure as shit don't want to be. I like fishing but I don't like being miserable when fishing. Another thing, I know for sure that some of you are getting the big boats, trucks and campers because you don't want to look like me when I go camping. You know, the old truck, the old boat and a tent. Its about keeping up with the Jones'. Its a status symbol but I think in some of your minds you refuse to be honest with yourself and why you need those big rigs. Now if you want to spend the money you do, go ahead. Personally I think its a little sickening to spend that kind of money when there are so many other, better things it could be spent on but that's just my opinion. Maybe its just me being jealous. IDK. Don't hate on me for just stating what I think is obvious. I don't care what you do. I just think you're crazy.

You got it! Big job big money! Buy buy buy payments on every thing, that’s the In American way but to little spoiled brats don’t under stand what it takes to fix junk just to keep your junk on the water!! Best thing I ever heard from a buddy of mine that loved to fish as much as I do said ... and I quote a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into,,, so true!! but what happens when that job you have is cut, fur load what ever they call it then what? Ahhh just let the bank come get it oh well! Start over lol there is no end to the madness we are in! You live the way you can live and that’s it!!!! Nothing we have is taken from us in the end except ourselves! It’s all material!

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
17 foot rollers eh? I usually cast the windy shore until the rollers get 15' high, then boat control becomes a bitch

Partner was puking over the side of boat it was all I could do to get our asses back to the bay where the 6 footers were yea I shit my pants a little on that shit uh ah no thanks ever again on that shit!!!!!! It was 6 ft white caps on the tops of the waves you had to maneuver around, it was all that 150 had to do it!
Funniest thing was there were these two old farts and I mean at least they looked like 80-90 out in a 14 ft with a 25 on the back out perch fishing! We laughed as they followed us out into the 6 footers and I bet to this day they were betting on how far out we would make it! Lol we lost sight of them a ways out but when we returned they were right back in there fishing the weeds! Can’t make shit up like that I never want to quit after seeing that! Tight lines!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you don't fish in winds 20 and up on Sak your motor won't need an oil change for 3 years.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ That is definitely true for me. I don't fish big lakes in the wind, even if I have access to a nice boat. It sucks. But if you like it, more power to you. I just believe there are more people like me than there are who will fish in those kind of conditions. And if you're one that will enjoy fishing in crap conditions, go wild. Have fun. Just be realistic on justifying how big of boat you need.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At my age, and the area I live, most of the guys I know with $80,000 boats don’t owe on them. Lots of big money in this state, more than one would think. I have tons of clients that spend a million plus a year upgrading equipment.
I understand how one can see all the sparkle at the marina and think it’s a big dick contest, but thats not always the case.
Good buddy this year just put the finishing touches on his million dollar “lake cabin” over at pick city, different buddy purchased a new snobear, new Ranger, new camper, and the limited addition Ford Mustang race version for a mere $125,000. Not a loan on any of it.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been contemplating putting my '14 Stratos 385xf up for sale all winter, as I won't have hardly any time to use it this summer, and to be honest, I think my family would benefit from a pontoon much more after we are done with the construction of our house.... I bought it as a 2 year hold over, put a few grand in electronics on it, and it has the 200 yami on it.

The other day, I saw a listing for a 2009 stratos 386xf(same thing as the 385 basically, just has jump seats in the back). It has a 150 on it. The guy is asking $34,000 for it! That is $2,000 more for his 12 year old boat, with 50 less horsepower now, than I paid for mine when I bought it as a 2 year hold over BRAND NEW 5 years ago... wtf lol. Needless to say, once it warms a bit more, I'll be giving the stratos a good cleaning/buff/polish and then it's going up for sale... I think in todays market I should probably start at about 50k asking price yea?

- - - Updated - - -

sweet jeebus, I just looked @ bisman again and theres 2 stratos listed. ones and 11 and the other is the 09 and they want 34,900 for each.... wow....

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
But that 2009 for $35,000 only has 240 hours on the 150hp and 10 hours on the 9.9 kicker. ;:;popcorn Shit, that's almost like new. :;:lame

I always say start out high as you can always go lower but if you start out low its pretty hard to raise your price. If they sell it for what they are asking good for them.

Last edited:

FlatTopPete

Established Member

Well put. I think it’s all about keeping up with the Jones’s! Some guys try to justify putting themselves in debt up to their eyeballs so they can make memories. Pretty sure your kids don’t care if they are fishing in a $5,000 boat or a $50,000 boat as long as they are with you and making memories.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you don't fish in winds 20 and up on Sak your motor won't need an oil change for 3 years.
Yeah if you only fish weekends you might be screwed on some of them but guys with 16’ boats catch plenty of fish on nice days!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been contemplating putting my '14 Stratos 385xf up for sale all winter, as I won't have hardly any time to use it this summer, and to be honest, I think my family would benefit from a pontoon much more after we are done with the construction of our house.... I bought it as a 2 year hold over, put a few grand in electronics on it, and it has the 200 yami on it.

The other day, I saw a listing for a 2009 stratos 386xf(same thing as the 385 basically, just has jump seats in the back). It has a 150 on it. The guy is asking $34,000 for it! That is $2,000 more for his 12 year old boat, with 50 less horsepower now, than I paid for mine when I bought it as a 2 year hold over BRAND NEW 5 years ago... wtf lol. Needless to say, once it warms a bit more, I'll be giving the stratos a good cleaning/buff/polish and then it's going up for sale... I think in todays market I should probably start at about 50k asking price yea?

- - - Updated - - -

sweet jeebus, I just looked @ bisman again and theres 2 stratos listed. ones and 11 and the other is the 09 and they want 34,900 for each.... wow....
That’s used Ranger prices, screw paying that much for a Stratos. People would be dumb to pay that much. Many decent priced Skeeters for sale that are way better deal

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
But that 2009 for $35,000 only has 240 hours on the 150hp and 10 hours on the 9.9 kicker. ;:;popcorn Shit, that's almost like new. :;:lame

I always say start out high as you can always go lower but if you start out low its pretty hard to raise your price. If they sell it for what they are asking good for them.

lol yea I'll have to check, but I'd be shocked if my 200 yami has more than 125 hours on it.... And I agree, start high and come down if a guy has to.

I don't know what MM has against Stratos Boats, but mine has been flawless in the 5 years I've owned it. .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33