Used boat shopping.....

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm just getting started doing a little new to me boat shopping. Nothing crazy, just looking at 17' is aluminum, four stroke 115hp +, 15k-20k range. Just a good used rig. I've always watched online ads (Walleye Central, etc.) and have saved a lot of different boats for price comparison. But it seems there isn't an excess of boats in this category these days. Just missed a really nice one on Craigslist this week, already 8 people in line for it!

Any advice on where to look? Other than WC, Craigslist, Bisman, the local dealers, etc.? Not afraid to travel but with the weekly schedule I can't just drop everything and go. Which is about what you need to be able to do if you really like something you find. Just curious where/how you guys have searched for/found boats in the past. Craiglist can suck years out of your life! I haven't even ventured in the MN CL but folks say there are some good deals to be had over there. Thoughts?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to MN will save you a bundle. My wife gives me crap because I have bought the vast majority of my toys in MN.

- - - Updated - - -

user-online.png

Premium Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_Premium.png

reputation_pos.png
Join DateApr 2015Posts577NDA Points27,650NDA Level72Report Entries2
Thumbs Up
Received: 869
Given: 774

- - - Updated - - -

5575 posted this in another forum

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with ahab. Bought my boat in MN as well. Part of the fun is telling them blue platers that I don't have to pay taxes on the boat.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
last fall is always better then now --- or even later imo. Sometimes you get these "open season people" that get bored and sell during the summer. A real shitty summer would be good for boat sales to screeech to a halt and give you some action. Nice slide in the dow, unemployment rise, interest hike. Williston never panned out -- i figured toys would be sold at rock bottom -- but you see how the bank is tied to all these toys -- toys went back and were sold at different locations throughout the nation. Its a different world -- everybody borrows to the fkn hilt.

Some places to look:

republican leader ND sells some boats: http://upnorthrecreationllc.com/boats/4041479 http://upnorthrecreationllc.com/boats/4041479
James sells some on his web: https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/forum/fishing/classified-ads/

i just seen some -- was a posting in GF -- i cant remember but the boats were new but 2015 models -- some of those the dealer you would think would itch to sell. I think tracker fargo had some old $hit too that was new that they were trying to sell. Fargo's economy isnt doing that great. IMO the boat manufactures have over the years when a dip comes in sales increased the price to the point where they prey on the few buyers and then have reached a point where people say no more. Honest i dont how many people i talked to in the last month that go and look in the spring said - i am done i wont own another. When you are looking at a ranger almost and actually twice the price of a pickup listed at the boat show i can see their point. Young people just look and move onto another sport -- most want to fish but they would rather go out to the lakes area and have a few cold ones and put a few bobbers in the reeds from a paddle boat.

- - - Updated - - -

i bought my last in MN at cabelas; it was right at the end of the MN slump in the fall. The guy told me they had never sold so few boats.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Message me.
Let me know exactly what you want and want to spend.
Your right you've got to be able to go that day sometimes. If you can't get it I may be able to help you with that as well. But deals do show up on Bisman but you gotta be quick there as well!

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buying in Minn, you have to pay ND sales tax to get the boat license?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go east. Found my boat on Craig's list in Minnesota. I couldn't get there for a week. The guy was nice enough to hold it till I came out. The boat was in much better shape than I expected. Came home with a new to me boat. The ole man also got his in Minnesota. He came out four grand ahead by doing so. The Minnesota dealer gave him way more on the trade in price of his old boat than what the local Ranger dealer in Bismarck would.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do not have to pay sales tax for a boat upon registration in ND.

The only problem with not buying local, especially new, is the order of importance in the maintenance shop.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even the ND city is important. I used to work with a young man who shopped Bismarck for a new boat until his uncle told haim to try Jamestown. Identical boat, trailer, OB, kicker, and electronics cost $6000 less in Jamestown. Moorhead, MN would have been even less back then.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Private party sales=no sales tax
Dealer sales= sales taxe

- - - Updated - - -

Just something to think about when you are pricing stuff out

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do not have to pay sales tax for a boat upon registration in ND.

The only problem with not buying local, especially new, is the order of importance in the maintenance shop.

They tried playing that game with me in Bismarck, service manager was all sorts of cocky.
That was until he found out I had the head of sales/service for the company in Texas on my speed dial "had got to know him from previous encounters like this, really nice down to earth guy". I called there standing right in front of the service manager and explained to him what I was just told "how they might get to it in a couple months and that all other boats would be worked on before mine since I didn't buy it from them crap" I then handed him my phone and it was yes sir, yes sir, yes sir.
Hung up the phone and I was told to bring it into a bay right then and there. Oh and since then they have lost that boat manufacturer. Don't play their games..

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;boohoo Head East young man, haven't you been told?
Minnesota is full of boats that'r easy on your billfold. ;:;boohoo -- admittedly a stretch, but I tried...

Seriously though, as much as it sucks to drive to the cities, there are a lot more boats available in that area, and many of them only get used a couple times a year. I picked up mine in Rodgers a few years ago, and it was in great shape, and was thousands cheaper than comparable boats around the FM area.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;boohoo Head East young man, haven't you been told?
Minnesota is full of boats that'r easy on your billfold.
;:;boohoo

…driving all night beneath the north star with a squinty eye and cashier's check clutched next to my hee…..aaaaart!

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Bismarck dealership played that game with Me as well. One phone call to the Boat manufacture took care of that problem. 5575 is right, don't play that game. My last 3 boats came from outside of Bismarck. 2 outside of the state. It's amazing how much money you save by going on a road trip.

They tried playing that game with me in Bismarck, service manager was all sorts of cocky.
That was until he found out I had the head of sales/service for the company in Texas on my speed dial "had got to know him from previous encounters like this, really nice down to earth guy". I called there standing right in front of the service manager and explained to him what I was just told "how they might get to it in a couple months and that all other boats would be worked on before mine since I didn't buy it from them crap" I then handed him my phone and it was yes sir, yes sir, yes sir.
Hung up the phone and I was told to bring it into a bay right then and there. Oh and since then they have lost that boat manufacturer. Don't play their games..

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
total sales tax in Williston right now with state and local is 9.5%

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14