hunting ethics

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice bull, thought he was way bigger when the teaser pic was going around of him alive.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I watched for something illegal. Shooting off a motor-driven vehicle. That 4-wheeler was there long before the shooter was. Nothing illegal there in my mind. I saw a good hit the first shot. Then as the bull stood, dying, the shooters only finishing shot would have been the famous Texas-heart shot. Pretty useless on a moose. Then when the bull turned a little broadside it was obvious to me that the bull was going to fall over and be dead in a short time, like less than 10 seconds but since it was in the cattails three was no possible time for another shot. I might need to watch again but I've been around a lot of moose and to think they are going to instantly die, it's not going to happen. The only bad thing in my mind is that on YouTube there are too many Karen's watching the video and no matter what you post they are going to think it's terrible to shoot such an animal. Go ahead, let me have it and I'll decide if Need to watch again. One more thing, these are not professional video producers, just some guys helping their buddy fill his moose tag. Pretty much like most of the moose hunts I've been on in ND.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Its super unethical to needlessly let an any animal suffer regardless of legality.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt. Didn't watch the first video. Thought the second video was done pretty well.

I haven't ever video'd the fight of a fish, but if I could have, I would have. It would be something just for me to watch though, in the off-season.

I often feel "I shoulda" after an event. Release the fish, and I shoulda taken pics, etc.

IMHO, showing the emotion of this Tyler fella, was a good idea.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jason Zins runs a tight ship on that page...he will cancel you if his milks too cold at supper

hahaha

he does all these advertisements now. I commented underneath one "more bucks and bulls. Less advertising and turkeys". He blocked me and a few of my friends for liking the comment. Lol

That page draws unneeded attention to ND hunting. More and more land leased for hunting every year.

And now he is making money off it.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20211103-071415_Chrome.jpg

Awe, I offended someone. Listen here. Being proud of what we do and showing it in a way that is respectful is the best thing I can do to help share and maintain our outdoor lifestyle.

Don't come at me with some "we should hide everything we do so Peta doesn't see" attitude. Go watch hunting TV and then watch my videos and try to tell me what I do is wrong. "Tactless", get out of here.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 100% agree with the archery example. That was the first thing that came to my mind. There is a reason that archery hunters, including myself, usually give 30-60 minutes after a shot to come down from the stand. The ugly truth is that's just how long it can take.

I shot my first deer with a bow when I was 12 years old. I lost that deer and didn't want that to ever happen again. I'm 73 now and have shot dozens of deer with a bow, including the years I could have multiple tags somewhere between 40 and 50 deer. I should have taken pictures because I can't remember half of them.
Anyway most of those deer fell within sight and died in seconds. I know they recommend 30 to 60 minutes before you get out of the stand, and I know people who have done that when they can see the deer dead 50 yards away. I can not remember waiting longer than ten minutes. I have lost three deer in 60 years of hunting and I remember them vividly. I hunt alone when bow hunting. Gun hunting is with one or two other people, but multiple family in the area. I have forgot many deer, but I remember the people, the sunrises over the Sheyenne River, the crisp air in my lungs, and the stars at night in the camp. In the end that's what's important and you can't take pictures of it. I do take still pictures now of deer, people. camp, and sunrises. Best of luck this week end everyone.

Some things you try to forget. I was hunting with my supervisor 30 years ago and he knocked a doe down with a muzzle loader. A muzzle loader doesn't damage much meat and I handed him my rifle to finish it off. He declined and pulled out his knife. I wish people knew how to sharpen a knife. He bragged about that knife, but it was sickening listening to that deer bleat and gurgle as he sawed away at it. That was my last hunt with him.

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Aaron, your video answers a LOT of questions the original video left for the viewer to fill in the blanks. Like you said it’s a much better representation of what happened. Ditto on the comment that said you guys are lucky no one was hurt.

I do have a question - for my own reference if I ever am lucky enough to hunt moose…where did the FIRST shot hit the bull (we’re you able to assess the shot placement and damage) and how long after the first shot was it until the second shot at close range? Just curious if it was 10 minutes, 30, etc.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright fellas, I've been talking to Tyler quite a bit about the video today, and he's pretty tore up that things came across the way they did. So, I decided to get my version posted as soon as I could so people could see a better representation of what happened.
That's a much better depiction of what transpires in most hunts. Great video!

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aaron, your video answers a LOT of questions the original video left for the viewer to fill in the blanks.

I do have a question - for my own reference of I ever am lucky enough to hunt moose…where did the FIRST shot hit the bull and how long after the first shot was it until the second shot at close range?

First shot was a double lung. It took us about 30 minutes to get up to the bull and follow up.

I had a cow moose tag in 2019 and had a similar situation. I took out 2 lungs and the back shoulder and she trotted off like nothing happened. I had to finish her off as well. Moose are tough critters.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
30 minutes after a "perfect shot" and still able to get up and walk toward you.

I have to wonder what it is that disables such a mighty beast, but doesn't kill it for 30 minutes. Is that typical of moose?
Do they have some sort of zombie capability?

And why 30 minutes? Is it actually "a thing" to wait on moose - like waiting in archery?

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
30 minutes after a "perfect shot" and still able to get up and walk toward you.

I have to wonder what it is that disables such a mighty beast, but doesn't kill it for 30 minutes. Is that typical of moose?
Do they have some sort of zombie capability?

And why 30 minutes? Is it actually "a thing" to wait on moose - like waiting in archery?

Guy. We're you able to check out my video version? The bull went down in those tall cattails and we couldn't find him at first. (Seems crazy something so big could be hard to find, but it was.)

I don't know what more a fella could say about their toughness, but that's what happened.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I get it.

Back to zombie behavior (question for experienced moose shooters).

Is 30 minutes unusual, typical, or sometimes?

Was it insufficient expansion of the projectile? (slipped through/between ribs?)

- - - Updated - - -

The bull went down in those tall cattails and we couldn't find him at first. (Seems crazy something so big could be hard to find, but it was.)

there were lots of people on site. Maybe would have worked to leave someone at the fourwheeler and they watch your caps moving towards "the spot" and guide you guys in via cell phone.

- - - Updated - - -

You even had video to refer to for how to line it up with the trees in background. :)
Screenshot 2021-11-03 090808.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe on topic, but I had a buddy who did the elk cull hunts in TRNP. They were required to use all copper bullets otherwise the Feds wouldn't let them donate the meat.

He said they were double and triple tapping almost every elk they shot. Could have just been the design of the bullet as I know some people swear by them, however whatever order they received were pretty poor performing on larger undulates.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jason Zins runs a tight ship on that page...he will cancel you if his milks too cold at supper

I've known Jason for many years. Haven't seen or talked with him in probably 20, or since I moved west. He hunts all over the place, as far as I know he has a vast life's experience in hunting, like more than probably any of us will ever be able to accomplish in 2 lifetimes.

Didn't know he would be the type to hate an Ice cold Milk...haha

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone of you who thinks any of this hunt is unethical or illegal either don't hunt and have no experience killing anything and should keep their comments to themselves they are ruining hunting for everyone Guy I'm very disappointed in you I thought you were a true outdoorsman unless you have done it your opinion doesn't hold any weight and just hurting the future of hunting for everyone.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A0296D4F-037F-4B5A-A8B8-D7FCC5FA1D8E.jpeg

Awe, I offended someone. Listen here. Being proud of what we do and showing it in a way that is respectful is the best thing I can do to help share and maintain our outdoor lifestyle.

Don't come at me with some "we should hide everything we do so Peta doesn't see" attitude. Go watch hunting TV and then watch my videos and try to tell me what I do is wrong. "Tactless", get out of here.

I wouldn't worry about a negative rep, I get them all the time. I had one a while back for laughing at a post my pal svnmag posted, apparently it was too much for the little fella and he need to show me... haha
Some guys just seem to worry too much about others business than they should. I believe the word for this type of NDA member is to call them a Karen. So you riled up some tight wound know it all that feels the need to shun you for being you. Eff that guy and his negative rep..

To be perfectly clear I am disappointed in guywhofishes also, but not for anything he has put in this thread.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone of you who thinks any of this hunt is unethical or illegal either don't hunt and have no experience killing anything and should keep their comments to themselves they are ruining hunting for everyone Guy I'm very disappointed in you I thought you were a true outdoorsman unless you have done it your opinion doesn't hold any weight and just hurting the future of hunting for everyone.

Guy's a scientist. It's in his blood to ask questions. Valid, IMHO.

I'd also think that 30 minutes seems particularly long for most warm-blooded critters to survive with a .30-caliber sized bullet (or somewhere abouts) exploding through both lungs. But as he surmised, maybe this is normal for moose because they're such tough critters?

Everyone has basically admitted that NPOs video does a much better job, and answers a lot of lingering questions, that the first video did not. I don't think it's wrong to question and/or admire the fact that a moose can take a rifle slug to the lungs and not die relatively quickly.

What's the harm in asking, anyway? Isn't that how we learn? Telling people to keep their thoughts to themselves and just go along with the crowd is about the worst thing we can do for hunting and the outdoors. Because if we (actual hunters) have these questions and thoughts, lord knows what a non-hunter might think.

As polarizing as we are these days with politics and whatnot, it never hurts to try to set aside your preconceived notions and look at a subject through someone else's eyes.

Food for thought.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did initially think the four wheeler was used for transportation. If it was just sitting there, I’m guessing that is legal. A stalk and a kill happens in a hurry. I might have done the same shot in that situation. I would have kept the vid to myself though. The internet police comes out in full force if anything looks “off”.

I still post some pics/vids on book face for family/friends to see. That said if anything looks “off” in any way, it stays in the holster. Too damn much drama can be stirred.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18