Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll stick with the down to earth kind for now although there is talk in the medical field about micro dosing for medical use with good results. :) This is the same kind and brand that I tried .

Amazon product

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a spot in the field with downy brome that I'm going to make into my new turnip and icicle radish patch this spring. Roundup, wait 10 days, rototill, then seed. I'll be standing by with a grass killing herbicide to take out the stragglers. Pick what I want in the fall and leave the rest for the deer. Should be fun.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just ordered 200.00 worth of seed for this years garden. Its a start. LB
LB where do you get the patterson onion sets? I picked some up last year in Bismarck. But no guarantee they will have them this spring.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LB where do you get the patterson onion sets? I picked some up last year in Bismarck. But no guarantee they will have them this spring.
Order from Gurneys when they have the big discount like they do now until 2/4 or free shipping. I order two units and end up with usually 300 plants, Same for the super sweet. The super sweet get the size of softballs in my garden but will not keep as long as the Pattersons. Still have a nice bunch of Patterson in the basement for our personal use. Full sun all day for these type onions and plenty water. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Order from Gurneys when they have the big discount like they do now until 2/4 or free shipping. I order two units and end up with usually 300 plants, Same for the super sweet. The super sweet get the size of softballs in my garden but will not keep as long as the Pattersons. Still have a nice bunch of Patterson in the basement for our personal use. Full sun all day for these type onions and plenty water. LB
Faulkners in Mandan sells sets of onions for $4. That's where I picked them up.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Has anyone started their own onion plants indoors from seed. I would like to try this because for the amount of onions I would like to plant it gets expensive. How and when do you start. Thank you for any info. LB

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone started their own onion plants indoors from seed. I would like to try this because for the amount of onions I would like to plant it gets expensive. How and when do you start. Thank you for any info. LB
I know a guy who fills a flat with soil and then sprinkles seeds all over it… when they come up and he goes to plant them, he jusy untangles the roots from each other and right into the ground. Grows softball sized onions.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know a guy who fills a flat with soil and then sprinkles seeds all over it… when they come up and he goes to plant them, he jusy untangles the roots from each other and right into the ground. Grows softball sized onions.
I would like to know when to start seed to do this.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
1CE1475E-7844-4533-91F5-B67020E5328B.jpeg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank you Lycanthrope, thats the info I was looking for. LB

Big C

Last year I followed the tutorial that Lycanthrope put together in the link and it worked like a charm. Best onions I have ever raised. Also worked with leeks. It works.

Thanks for posting that info, Lycanthrope.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys that raise such big gardens handle pests like cotton tails? I just do 2 smaller gardens and some years they eat stuff so bad it about makes you want to give up. I've had them eat cukes, zucchini, carrots out of the ground. I have tried the sprays and doesn't seem to slow them down much. Over this winter I have shot 6 around the yard so far but aside from drought it is one of the big things holding me back from putting a big garden out.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys that raise such big gardens handle pests like cotton tails? I just do 2 smaller gardens and some years they eat stuff so bad it about makes you want to give up. I've had them eat cukes, zucchini, carrots out of the ground. I have tried the sprays and doesn't seem to slow them down much. Over this winter I have shot 6 around the yard so far but aside from drought it is one of the big things holding me back from putting a big garden out.

We plant way more than what we need so there's enough for both man and beast. It's the only solution I've found that works .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76