Another winter storm

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The does that hang out in my backyard have been enjoying the recently exposed grass off and on over the past few weeks. I hope they got a good meal this morning as it's going to be covered up in another couple hours.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty mild so far, its been pilling up on my pickup box rail as I can see from the house, about 2" deep so far. LB

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
then they cancel school 3 days --- its barely snibbling here. they could of had school with a early out.
All one could say -- what a bunch of snowflakes
There’s not much point of having school in bad weather when they took all that time off for covid

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow just started here 5 minutes ago.
At my cabin 30 miles north of moorhead.
Got plenty of beer/food/smokes n firewood.
Got a farmer friend that will blow out my 1/2 mile road when this storm is done.
Bring it bitch!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
then they cancel school 3 days --- its barely snibbling here. they could of had school with a early out.
All one could say -- what a bunch of snowflakes

Have you ever thought about moving into the 21st Century? My kids have their homework and expectations handed to them and they are at home taking care of it. Back in the day it was hard to give everyone access to the chalkboard, nowadays they use computers and the info is pretty easily transferred to their laptops for home instruction. The storm's major effects are going to be felt at different times of the day across the state. It's been snowing in Bismarck now since about 9'ish, still not a lot of accumulation, but the roads are going to be slick and more difficult to navigate with each passing hour. Would you want to be the school administrator telling the rural kids they need to be driving on roads that are going to increase the risk of a significant car accident?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever thought about moving into the 21st Century? My kids have their homework and expectations handed to them and they are at home taking care of it. Back in the day it was hard to give everyone access to the chalkboard, nowadays they use computers and the info is pretty easily transferred to their laptops for home instruction. The storm's major effects are going to be felt at different times of the day across the state. It's been snowing in Bismarck now since about 9'ish, still not a lot of accumulation, but the roads are going to be slick and more difficult to navigate with each passing hour. Would you want to be the school administrator telling the rural kids they need to be driving on roads that are going to increase the risk of a significant car accident?
I don't totally disagree with you and I think they had to cancel based on the forecast (that isn't quite holding up), but we're getting pretty soft on these. A few inches of snow doesn't need to shut the world down, it's ND after all. You can always choose to keep your kids home if you wish, I know teachers are happy to email (or whatever platform) work home.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So far, so good out here in Dickinson. Just some heavy/low clouds and a few snowflakes here and there. Which I am definitely OK with. ...rockon...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever thought about moving into the 21st Century? My kids have their homework and expectations handed to them and they are at home taking care of it. Back in the day it was hard to give everyone access to the chalkboard, nowadays they use computers and the info is pretty easily transferred to their laptops for home instruction. The storm's major effects are going to be felt at different times of the day across the state. It's been snowing in Bismarck now since about 9'ish, still not a lot of accumulation, but the roads are going to be slick and more difficult to navigate with each passing hour. Would you want to be the school administrator telling the rural kids they need to be driving on roads that are going to increase the risk of a significant car ac

Blizzard Warning Issued for winter storms with sustained or frequent winds of 35 mph or higher with considerable falling and/or blowing snow.

15mph wind speed currently .

Snowflake warning!!!!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
There’s not much point of having school in bad weather when they took all that time off for covid
Why am i paying all those real estate taxes. Ok i am for no more schools -- close em down.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't totally disagree with you and I think they had to cancel based on the forecast (that isn't quite holding up), but we're getting pretty soft on these. A few inches of snow doesn't need to shut the world down, it's ND after all. You can always choose to keep your kids home if you wish, I know teachers are happy to email (or whatever platform) work home.

I'm a year removed from the profession, but one thing I will tell you with certainty is that teachers ARE NOT happy to teach virtually from home. Every teacher in my school saw it as a total waste of time and would rather be in person with the students. It got to the point where we'd assign a virtual assignment where all the students had to do was put their name down and they'd get a significant grade for just showing up. And about 15% of the kids would do it, regardless of the consequence to their grade. I tried hard to provide significant learning opportunities on virtual days, but there isn't any buy in or accountablity. I hated penalizing them with a grade but that was about all that was left. So, yeah, put me in front of the kids any day of the week rather than a virtual waste of time. Oh and snow days at the end of the year are nearly as pointless. Imagine an extra week at the end of May with a bunch of restless students. The learning time in January is far more fruitful than May. But, some days you just can't get to school. Here, they closed the interstate and we have maybe 4" of snow. But forecast said 24", what do you do?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
2023 -------
mom: at the mall shopping day off from work to watch the kid
kid: playing video games all day and hitting his mouse a couple times to show he is attending online school.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So far we don't even need a plow and have only a little snow in Yates. We could have had school too, but better safe than sorry. And while we have distance learning on these days, Trax is spot on, the buy-in just isn't there. I'm not sure why, students have their face in a screen all day watching garbage, but when you try to educate them using it, they cry about it not being the same. It's just laziness plain and simple, by not only the kids but the parents too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
its getting with it in mobridge has for since about lunch time about 6 inches

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2