Another winter storm

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, you guys just can't seem to find spring this year.
Keep us posted on the snow totals.
Bismarck should break their all time record with this snow, unfortunately!

bilbo

Honored Member
Wow, it looks like we picked a good year to move to South FL. Nothing but sunshine and ball sweat here. Seriously I wish the best to all my former ND compatriots and hopefully a good gradual warmup with minimal flooding. There is a lot I miss about living there but not biting my nails down every spring as the frost funnels meltwater into my drain tile.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
1997 was the best summer of my life.
I was talking about life after the winter of. aftermath of the flood, fire and clean up, high line poles late start for farmers contractors etc, dealing with insurance companies none of that stuff was the "best"

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking about life after the winter of. aftermath of the flood, fire and clean up, high line poles late start for farmers contractors etc, dealing with insurance companies none of that stuff was the "best"
We had the sewer back up in the basement may have been caught partying when i was supposed to be home watching the sump pump and then have to clean the shit basement and strip it all and do every thing. Still the best summer ever. Class of 97 new how to get down.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was young enough to have fun, but that summer all I did was work. I removed asbestos and lead in the summers. Spent most of it in Grand Forks. Worked a 35-day stretch in a row. It was wild all the Mexicans we hired. One week we had guys from 11 different countries, but if they spoke Spanish, they were MEX. INS would show up and we'd lose a few. One guy was back the next week to get his check, he already had a new company and a different name. The motels were ALL construction guys. It was like a college dorm with NO RULES! The pot smell hit you immediately in amongst the smoke-filled hallways. Most left their doors open and were drinking and smoking away. This happened nightly!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i worked for lunseths that summer gutting mechanical out of flooded basements. glorious work. next winter on my semester off after graduating before grad school, worked for klems. student union, med school, etc... but, another glorious job was gutting the mechanical out of the basement of the civic center and replacing all of it. not sure how many thousands of feet of black iron pipe i cut, fit, threaded and added sprinkler drops to. then a few years later they knocked the place to the ground.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love commutes on stormy days. No traffic. Although lately i can tell people are start watching PTO days. See more of them out the last storm.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This mother(&^^%%$ could spell disaster for the deer herds. In the last month the deer have trashed 4 full size round bales of hay. I think I have a couple hundred thin looking critters coming in every day all day. I hope this is the end as I only have one bale left and about 30 bushels of corn before I have to go scrounge some more somewhere. Damn this winter just won't end!!!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
This mother(&^^%%$ could spell disaster for the deer herds. In the last month the deer have trashed 4 full size round bales of hay. I think I have a couple hundred thin looking critters coming in every day all day. I hope this is the end as I only have one bale left and about 30 bushels of corn before I have to go scrounge some more somewhere. Damn this winter just won't end!!!
I think the game and fish would help you out 🤷‍♂️. Pheasants forever etc

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ive never seen them struggle like this. I'm finding at least 1-2 fresh carcasses daily on my commute. I've never seen the coyotes hammer them like this before. I've never had deer eat bark off my trees and hammer my shrubs like this before. I've never shot at so many coyotes from the roads before. The deer are so weak, and congregated to yards and roads, it's easy hunting for the coyotes. Just yesterday, for example, there was a fresh kill on my way to work a couple miles from my house. On my way home there was another very fresh kill 200 yds from my mailbox right on the road. Then my daughter found a fresh kill in our trees 100 yds from my house.

My food plots were decimated by the first week of Jan. I supplemented for a while afterwards, but it got to be too much. I couldn't keep up. I did toss some stuff out last night, and again this morning, and will continue for a few more days this week.

Another thing I've never noticed this bad before, road kill. All in all, the deer are getting their ass kicked.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
holding south of us i think we might get 4-5 inches here and then next wendsday the thaw starts highs in the 60's with staying above freezing at night.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive never seen them struggle like this. I'm finding at least 1-2 fresh carcasses daily on my commute. I've never seen the coyotes hammer them like this before. I've never had deer eat bark off my trees and hammer my shrubs like this before. I've never shot at so many coyotes from the roads before. The deer are so weak, and congregated to yards and roads, it's easy hunting for the coyotes. Just yesterday, for example, there was a fresh kill on my way to work a couple miles from my house. On my way home there was another very fresh kill 200 yds from my mailbox right on the road. Then my daughter found a fresh kill in our trees 100 yds from my house. I may or may not now have a bait pile for the coyotes, with clear line of sight, from a window in my house.

My food plots were decimated by the first week of Jan. I supplemented for a while afterwards, but it got to be too much. I couldn't keep up. I did toss some stuff out last night, and again this morning, and will continue for a few more days this week.

Another thing I've never noticed this bad before, road kill. All in all, the deer are getting their ass kicked.
Have to wonder if there'll even be 50k tags given out this year.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been bringing road kill deer home all winter to put by my house because I enjoy watching the coyotes eat on them. Then when I'm tired of watching them I shoot a gun up in the air to scare them away.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 141
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51