zero turn recommendations

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
450:

I do buy their blades but i feel others will work. Get the high lift or bagger blades. Deck is not a stamp deck but weld with square sides and is design to lift the grass up, so they say. But can go full speed in open and it cuts the grass clean.
I do sharpen after about ever 6-7 hours and end up going through a few blades every year. db

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
is switching from the bagging system and mulching fairly easy and not too time consuming for either the JD or the toro? The toro looks to be nice but dang there accessories (bagger and multching system are way more then all the other brand accessories)
I believe the Toro ZTR bagging system is fairly easy to remove. My JD 1025 has the powerFlow bagger & the triple bags are supported by the 3-point so it takes me about 30 min to remove. Agree with other posts that sharp & quality blades make a difference (I use high lift blades). I have 2 sets and sharpen and change every 8-10 hrs. I had a JD 324 lawn tractor with a mulching kit and I had to remove the deck to put on and remove. Would not recommend that. No experience with other mulching systems.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yep thats where im at. was just curious if u used a bagger with yours and if you were happy with it is all.

thanks for the info. typically wear ear plugs when im mowing anyways. hearing has been going to crap for awhile so trying to protect what i got left.. ha

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dont have a bagger but I do know when I lift the discharge guard it will shoot the clippings out there a good 12ft or so. I think a bagger would be no problem. If your in my area when the grass is green you can take mine for a test ride. LB

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 42" huslter raptor for a couple years now still running strong. My wife hasnt been able to wreck it yet so that right there is proof how tough it is haha
2nd for a Hustler.

54" deck with Kohler motor. Been rock solid

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Dixie Chopper with Kaw/54”. I skipped the bagging. Usually a couple times a year I wind up blowing a windrow and raking. Takes just a few minutes. Otherwise cut more often and clippings aren’t an issue. As far as mulching, these things have such good suction and high rpm at the deck they pretty much grinder up things

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Toro Time-Cutter for use on my 1.5 acre lot. Works well and I'm super happy with it. The seat suspension is well worth it for mowing those rougher areas. I've had it for 4 years now and have only had to replace one belt and change the air filter (regular oil changes as well).

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive had good luck with my hustler 72 inch deck 36 hp. had it since 2010 and only regular maintenance items.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
2nd for a Hustler.

54" deck with Kohler motor. Been rock solid
ive had good luck with my hustler 72 inch deck 36 hp. had it since 2010 and only regular maintenance items.

i will look into this hustler brand.

i had never heard of it till today. anyone have one with a bagger and are u happy with it if u do?

thanks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will look into this hustler brand.

i had never heard of it till today. anyone have one with a bagger and are u happy with it if u do?

thanks
Yep mine has a bagger we had it for the day care and it worked good simple on and off.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a cub cadet zt1 54 for a couple years, only issue was very hard starting and after a bit of googling it needed the throttle cable adjusted, it wasn't choking correctly at start up.

Still have original blades on it just sharpened a few times.

I have 2 lots at my house, 4 lots with another house we have and mowed 4 lots across the street plus 2 more across town. total 12 lots plus a few others once in a while.

I cant speak for the smaller decks but mine is wide enough I can make pretty tight turns around trees and not get hung up with the back tire.

on a dry day I can run full speed 7 mph no problem. You push a peddle to raise the deck and turn a dial for setting cutting height.

They even sell an all season plow attachment and tire chains for it. I just looked the mower gone up in price $800 in 3 years.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat couple years ago,zero turn...two issues I had,I was doing yard maintenance for my dad at the time,he lived across town before I put him in senior care,goddammit zero turn are a bitch to back off a narrow trailer,straight back,dang front wheels swivel around,2nd deal was repair,local small engine repair shop had clusters of zero turns in for repair all summer, seems mowers over 46" decks and up,3 and 4 blade decks chew up belts,90% of these zero turns in for repair were toro...

I ended up with another husky lawn tractor...with 44 trees on my lot it's a bitch but once a month give the tree bases a hair cut with a string trimmer,f-it,works for me,neighbors f-them too if they don't like it.

Last edited:

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I have had a cub cadet zt1 54 for a couple years, only issue was very hard starting and after a bit of googling it needed the throttle cable adjusted, it wasn't choking correctly at start up.

Still have original blades on it just sharpened a few times.

I have 2 lots at my house, 4 lots with another house we have and mowed 4 lots across the street plus 2 more across town. total 12 lots plus a few others once in a while.

I cant speak for the smaller decks but mine is wide enough I can make pretty tight turns around trees and not get hung up with the back tire.

on a dry day I can run full speed 7 mph no problem. You push a peddle to raise the deck and turn a dial for setting cutting height.

They even sell an all season plow attachment and tire chains for it. I just looked the mower gone up in price $800 in 3 years.

do u have the bagger system for it? does it have enough push to get damn grass into the bags?

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Zero turns aren’t very drinking and mowing compatible. I dislike mowing so drinking while mowing is a must.
im hoping to complete the yard faster so i can sit in a chair and drink ;) haha

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
And the way the year is going, you may wanna get one with tracks when the grass is sticking through the snow. :rolleyes:
1680785330852.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88