Simple, Easy, Tasty... Walleye Fillets Done Right!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Article Provided By: Rusty Myers Flying Service
1553076.jpg

1). Cut on a diagonal down to the backbone behind the front fins where flesh and head meet. Turn the fish over and execute the same cut, but starting from the bottom up.

2). Turn the fish again and cut in along that side of the backbone about one inch deep until the knife reaches the top of the rib cage.

3). At the end of the ribs, push the knife, keeping it flat against the backbone, all the way through to the underside of the fish and then slide it back to the tail. Flip the fish and repeat.

4). Using a sweeping motion with the knife, go along and down the main ribs, pulling back the fillet as you go. Repeat on the other side.

5). Lift the fillets and cut free from the carcass on both sides. Separate fillets.

6). Skin fillets. Starting at the tail end, hold the knife at a slight forward angle tight to the skin and work forward in a sawing motion. Be careful not to cut through the skin. (If you find you constantly cut through the skin, one tip is to hold the knife almost still and pull and wiggle the skin from side to side, as you draw the fillet towards you.)

7). Starting at the back of a skinless fillet, make a small cut in about two inches on each side of the lateral line, leaving the pin bones in the middle piece. Pull on one side, then the other, separating the boneless meat from the piece with bones. This should be an action similar to opening a zipper.

Can’t Miss Walleye Batter -
Be sure to remove the front part of the lateral line to get rid of the small bones and fishy taste, on large fillets remove the entire lateral line. Pat the fillet dry and cut into 2 inch pieces in a ziplock bag. Add the following to the bag:

• 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of shore lunch
  • 1 table spoon of lemon pepper
  • 1 table spoon of parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon of ceyenne pepper

Put the pieces of walleye in the bag at least one hour before deep frying. When ready to begin frying the fish, make this batter:

• 1 cup of bisquik
  • 1 cup shore lunch
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper
  • 1 egg
    Add enough beer to make the mixture very thin. You may need to add a bit more beer just before dipping to walleye in because it may thicken while it stands on the counter.

1553079.jpg

Enjoy!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Season to taste, 90sec on a Foreman grill. Add to sandwich/toast, salad, or any other fish dish.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that it is called the "Norwegian cut/fillet (whatever)". Works great on salmon.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can’t Miss Walleye Batter -
Be sure to remove the front part of the lateral line to get rid of the small bones and fishy taste, on large fillets remove the entire lateral line. Pat the fillet dry and cut into 2 inch pieces in a ziplock bag. Add the following to the bag:

• 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of shore lunch
  • 1 table spoon of lemon pepper
  • 1 table spoon of parsley flakes
[/QUOTE]

Instead of original shore lunch, I mix a 50/50 bag of original and cajun shore lunch packets. Just enough zing for the palate. Shore Lunch is a must-have!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that it is called the "Norwegian cut/fillet (whatever)". Works great on salmon.

I want to learn more. Can someone post a video of this "collar intact" approach?

- - - Updated - - -

or maybe they just laid the collar on top of other filets in the plate pic?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is this collar you speak off? and why is the tail on the plate?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the mustard squirts last night, entirely from an over indulgence at Don Pedros. Love the food, the food fricken hates me..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deep fry some walleye collars some time. Just batter normal along with filets.

No need to scale,etc. The fins taste like tater chips. And the meat is like cheek meat. Don't eat skin of course.

You will like - everyone who tries them does.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deep fry some walleye collars some time. Just batter normal along with filets.

No need to scale,etc. The fins taste like tater chips. And the meat is like cheek meat. Don't eat skin of course.

You will like - everyone who tries them does.

I like to pull the skin off with a needle nose pliars and then make them in all different ways you would make shrimp.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75