when does devils peak???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing devils again for the first summer in 30 years and starting to get it figured out... have been able to get at least 1/2 limits of eaters with lots of smaller eyes mixed in on our first 2 trips, and i'm good with that for how we fish... heading up again in a couple weeks to hopefully put some new thick trails on the gps and learn some more spots...

just trying to plan trips for the rest of the open water season and wondering if the bite peaks and then drops off... or if the bite moves from shallow to deep at a pretty consistent time of year or water temp... we are after eaters pulling rigs on relatively clean shorelines or flats... my weekends are limited and would like to go in the most productive times of the summer, if there is a pattern... any info appreciated...

thanks...

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bite has peaked, you're riding the coat-tails as of now. Sure you can catch fish all summer if a guy is willing to move and change presentations until he finds what the fish want, but I would say peak bite is past.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weather/water temps and whether the lake level is up or down or rising or falling all affect the peak. I think it peaks between mid May and early July. After that, Sakakawea is hitting its peak. Both are good again during the upland game and waterfowl seasons. Then it's "do I go fishing or hunting?"

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think too many folk get a bit too deep this time of year and assume things have calmed down. But if you can find a wind blown shoreline and get next to some weeds or good structure, nice fish can still be found rather shallow. Especially true in the evening and morning.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. Time of day is very important. 30 years ago, I could launch my boat at 10AM and be done by 2 or 3PM. After the lake grew and cleared sunrise, sunset, and even night fishing has been much easier than mid day for those who try low light hours.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr caught a nice 21 inch eye yesterday in 16 fow at McKenzie bay.

Just throwing that out there.

My biggest yesterday was only a 16, she is always one up'n me

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. Time of day is very important. 30 years ago, I could launch my boat at 10AM and be done by 2 or 3PM. After the lake grew and cleared sunrise, sunset, and even night fishing has been much easier than mid day for those who try low light hours.

You must shore-fish or jig @ the bridges.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems to me that "the peak" is different for each technique or habitat type

For instance the jiggin rap bite usually peaks in October at bridges - not? Some of the easiest limits to be had from what I understand. I wish DL was closer so I could experience the fall gold rush.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know there was a peak. There are some transitions before and after the spawn that can be tough to fish. Other than that, there's usually a good soft water bite somewhere/somehow until freeze up.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo: Birthplace of North Dakota's first zebra mussel.

I know everyone loves to give Fargo credit for everything, but Wahpeton had the Zebra Mussels a few years before they
found any in Fargo.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo: Birthplace of North Dakota's first zebra mussel.

I know everyone loves to give Fargo credit for everything, but Wahpeton had the Zebra Mussels a few years before they
found any in Fargo.

That's what I get for trusting NDGF's reports. Dangit - this is embarrassing. :mad:

muledeerbannerndgf_original-1.jpg

North Dakota Game and Fish Department
July 10, 2015

Adult Zebra Mussel Found at Fargo Water Intake
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department has confirmed that an adult zebra mussel was found on an intake screen at the city water plant in Fargo, according to Fred Ryckman, aquatic nuisance species coordinator for the agency.

Fargo city employees discovered the mussel while inspecting some of their Red River intake structures Thursday afternoon, said Troy Hall, water utility director for the city of Fargo. The species was confirmed as a zebra mussel early Friday afternoon.

Game and Fish had confirmed the presence of large numbers of zebra mussel veligers or larvae at several locations along the Red River earlier in the week, and this is the first documented adult zebra mussel collected in North Dakota waters.

Game and Fish and other stakeholders will continue to monitor areas of the Red River to gauge the presence and impact.

Now more than ever, Ryckman said it is imperative that all Red River water users, including recreationists, adhere to all rules and regulations regarding ANS.

“As we have said in the past, there is often little that can be done once a body of water becomes infested with an aquatic nuisance species,” Ryckman added. “However, we can prevent them from being moved from the infested water body to waters that aren’t infested.”

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy if they are in fargo they are in whap. #senility

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Guy, that article doesn't tell the whole story at all.

With the Ottertail River in Minnesota dumping into the Red it was only a matter of time.

Another present from the Blue Platers :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy if they are in fargo they are in whap. #senility

The officials have been careful to distinguish veligers (plankton young) from adults because veligers and youngsters too small to breed are inherently less alarming.

Adults mean "we're here, we're established (been here long enough to demonstrate that this place is good enough to live) and we're going to start spewing kids". This causes more concern to NDGF than drifters passing through but not capable of self-sustaining populations.

- - - Updated - - -

http://gf.nd.gov/news/zebra-mussel-veligers-found-several-red-river-locations

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84