johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So in some cases it is a blessing
Mother nature is neat.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan are you trying to tell us that zebra mussells have improved the lakes in which they have invaded?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan are you trying to tell us that zebra mussells have improved the lakes in which they have invaded?

Evidently in some lakes, they have improved some aspects of those waters, not sure this makes them all good. Im not really interested in arguing the good/bad thing. My main point is I dont think making people dump out all their bait every time they leave a lake is really going to prevent them from spreading. If they did this along with making every bird clean their feathers when they move from one body of water to another, and turtles clean their shells if they decide to go wandering around, I would be more for it, but if they let animals just wander around and carry stuff from one area to another, I dont feel that fishermen should be punished cuz it will largely be ineffective.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Enslow you think the fishing in Erie is worse now than before zebra's? LOL

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bait vendors are happy I bet. Maybe time for guys to start hiding their bait on the river hoping no one steals it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
MN has so many lakes infested---- sure some are birds, some are fisherman, but the majority are the stupid internal ballast tank systems in ski boats --- hence I think Eyexer will see a zebra hangin onto his lund before enslow sees one on a dead tree.

- - - Updated - - -

my question to you water skiers that purchase these over priced boats --- how can you make sure they are clean --- they need to put some type of chlorine system in them so they are sanitized all the time.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
MN has so many lakes infested---- sure some are birds, some are fisherman, but the majority are the stupid internal ballast tank systems in ski boats --- hence I think Eyexer will see a zebra hangin onto his lund before enslow sees one on a dead tree.

- - - Updated - - -

my question to you water skiers that purchase these over priced boats --- how can you make sure they are clean --- they need to put some type of chlorine system in them so they are sanitized all the time.
how did you know I had a lund? lol

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are blinded by your own arrogance. I have never fished erie but lake michigan hasnt been half the fishery it was prior to zebra mussels. The water cleared up and the elwives dropped dramatically. I doubt your peabrain can comprehend that eyexer.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member

The zebras and then the quagga mussels changed Lake Erie significantly. You can still catch walleye drifting Erie Dearies, but not really like it was in the 80s. Trolling became the method of choice since the walleye moved deeper and further east in bigger numbers than before. There are enough in Erie to filter the entire volume of water in the lake every 24 to 36 hours. Erie is a trophy sheapshead lake, they exploded from common to holy crap levels, they love the mussels. Erie just has too many invasives: gobies, spiny water fleas, white perch. The gobies can be very tough on smallmouth nesting locations, main reason Ohio closed fishing for them in May. The gobies usually are not yet up on the reefs when the eyes are spawning but the white perch are and are there to gorge on walleye eggs. Walleye and perch spawns have been suppresed but there is probably not enough data yet to compare the effect of invasives to the negative affects of poor spawing weather, lower water levels and timing of larval walleye and perch switching from egg sac to plankton for food. Native species take some advantage of the exotics as prey but overall, the combined effects do more harm than good to my mind. I like the clear water, just not all the excess baggage and what ifs that come with it. 15 years ago, limit for walleye on Erie was 10, no reduced bags in spring. Last time I was there 4 years ago it was 5 and 3 during spawn. Take it for what it is worth...

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are blinded by your own arrogance. I have never fished erie but lake michigan hasnt been half the fishery it was prior to zebra mussels. The water cleared up and the elwives dropped dramatically. I doubt your peabrain can comprehend that eyexer.
My cousin fishes Lake Michigan (lives in Sheboygan) nearly every weekend. Has had some of the most amazing salmon fishing he has seen in his life there the past few years. So I don't think you know what your talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

The zebras and then the quagga mussels changed Lake Erie significantly. You can still catch walleye drifting Erie Dearies, but not really like it was in the 80s. Trolling became the method of choice since the walleye moved deeper and further east in bigger numbers than before. There are enough in Erie to filter the entire volume of water in the lake every 24 to 36 hours. Erie is a trophy sheapshead lake, they exploded from common to holy crap levels, they love the mussels. Erie just has too many invasives: gobies, spiny water fleas, white perch. The gobies can be very tough on smallmouth nesting locations, main reason Ohio closed fishing for them in May. The gobies usually are not yet up on the reefs when the eyes are spawning but the white perch are and are there to gorge on walleye eggs. Walleye and perch spawns have been suppresed but there is probably not enough data yet to compare the effect of invasives to the negative affects of poor spawing weather, lower water levels and timing of larval walleye and perch switching from egg sac to plankton for food. Native species take some advantage of the exotics as prey but overall, the combined effects do more harm than good to my mind. I like the clear water, just not all the excess baggage and what ifs that come with it. 15 years ago, limit for walleye on Erie was 10, no reduced bags in spring. Last time I was there 4 years ago it was 5 and 3 during spawn. Take it for what it is worth...
Limits were reduced because the fishing has been amazing the past ten years. Therefore every Tom, Dick and Harry have been going there.

- - - Updated - - -

a guess ---- hows the soggy transom on that thing? :;:howdy
I tore the carpet out last winter and replaced the whole floor and carpet. The floor had a couple bad spots but since I was in there I replaced the whole thing. I checked out the transom and it was good as new. 2000 model boat that has 1000 hrs on the motor so it's seen alot of water time.

- - - Updated - - -

Last year the MN DNR was successful eradicating zebras in Christmas Lake in MN. They used a chemical that didn't harm the fish. It's very expensive but I would bet if it was used on a large scale the price would drop dramatically.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife thinks the mussel in my shorts is an invasive specie.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limits were reduced 15 years ago because of low spawning success and population levels going from 100 million walleye down into the 20 million range. Ohio I don't think has ever hit its total allowable catch, no matter how many anglers are there. Fishing has been outstanding and anyone with a pulse can catch fish there, but overall there are fewer walleye and perch than before. Like I said, there are more factors than just invasives and there are some benefits, I just don't think it is the best scenario for down the road.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the positive outlooks of devils lake water is that zebra mussels do not fair well with water with high salinity.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are they going to do up on Winnipeg since I clearly see they already are at the mouth of her. That lake doesn't have all that much biomass to give up!

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, it makes sense, wasn't disputing your point. Just a little dry oilfield humor.

I know buck I read most post back in the day on fbo site so I knew where you were coming from:;:thumbsup, I still think carp would do more damage to our ecosystem Devils lake basin. Just like some wish white bass limits should be increased because of how much they eat, they look like piranhas when they are in big schools and will bite anything in their path. During spawn, when channel A was an actual channel,. White bass would make their way up to the culvert under highway 2. They would be so thick all u needed was a bare hook.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sad part(and potentially good part) is that many skilled fishermen have decided to give up live bait in favor of helping innovate and build confidence in artificials. There will be A LOT more innovative baits hitting the market that will change fishing as we know it. Unfortunately, it will be to the demise of the mom and pop bait shop(unless they have stocked the new "hot" stuff).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11