Oahe Zebras

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
PIERRE, S.D. (KELO) — Zebra mussels have been confirmed in South Dakota’s largest body of water.

The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department reported Thursday the aquatic invasive species has been found at two boat landings on Lake Oahe.

They were at the East Shore and Cow Creek ramps upstream of Pierre.

“While pulling docks, fisheries staff reported finding zebra mussels on several structures,” said Jake Davis. He is the department’s fisheries program administrator. “Both detections were then confirmed following these findings.”

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would find it really hard to believe that all of the bigger lakes in ND do not have them. Just hasn't been announced or found yet. Too much intrastate traffic nowadays to avoid it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SDGFP email on this was hilarious. On all the othe lakes that they’ve found with zeebs, the had the lake in the title of the email stating they had been found. In this email it was obscurely buried without mention in the title. Protect your tourism by being hush hush lol.

It was a matter of time as Sharpe had them.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder why zebra mussels have not been found in devils lake yet? Devils lake is number one out of state freshwater walleye destination in North dakota and possibly in the country. I wonder if possibly the salt content is too high to support zebra mussels from spreading and populating the whole lake?

Average_NDA_Member

The good Lord created zebra mussels for a reason and it is not up to us to keep them out. I’m not letting my hard earned tax dollars go to some liberal fish and wildlife employee checking my boat when instead that money could be used to repair and maintain infrastructure infested with zebra mussels. Actually I couldn’t tell you where Oahe even is as I haven’t gone fishing in 10 years. I’ve just been complaining on the internet. Don’t get me started on CWD.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk it seems the lakes that have them all have excellent fishing for for walleye, smallies, and Muskie. My three favorites👍👍

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eyexer, drops in pollution levels made Lake Erie a great walleye fishery. All zebra and quagga mussels did was change how you fished for them. Spring storms have the greatest impact on walleye reproduction there. Downside now is too many walleye suppress the yellow perch fishery. Another downside of zebra and quagga mussels is increases in cyanobacteria growth. You are already seeing increases in that here already. BTW, forget swimming from beach without shoes.

Average_NDA_Member

sounds like some liberal environmental BS there is enuf articles out there that show the mussels = good plus they are probably lt tasty don’t even get me started on fish and wildlife and their trailers of mountain lions

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eyexer, drops in pollution levels made Lake Erie a great walleye fishery. All zebra and quagga mussels did was change how you fished for them. Spring storms have the greatest impact on walleye reproduction there. Downside now is too many walleye suppress the yellow perch fishery. Another downside of zebra and quagga mussels is increases in cyanobacteria growth. You are already seeing increases in that here already. BTW, forget swimming from beach without shoes.
They’re the biggest reason the lake cleaned up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88