pontoon speeds...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sucks as that was one of my favorite parts about the 2 stroke. With myittle 60 4stroke I can't hear that thing purr at all while back trollig all day. 50 gallon tank of fuel lasts along time to but I only go a blazing 19 mph at wot. When I upgrade if I can get 30 mph I will be plum happy.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I am in the minority when it comes to the smell.

nothing like backing away from the ramp and getting that first whiff of burnt oil...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
update...

i pulled the trigger on a suntracker 22 xp3 with a merc 150 4 stroke... got it rigged last weekend and got her wet last night for the first time... had 2 on the boat and rigged to fish with livewells empty... after looking at engine test data which is always very light and lower elevation, was expecting 32mph, hoping for 35, and got 41 with a slight tailwind on 1' chop...

was propped perfectly with an enertia 15x14, bumping 6k trimmed... with 4 people and livewells full we should still be well over 30 and low to mid 5's for revs... gonna b a good summer... :cool:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am considering that very same rig. Keep the real world info coming.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone needs a bigger motor I have a 225 Honda that I'm looking to swap with someone for a 150. I have an 18' Skeeter and the 225 is too much.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am considering that very same rig. Keep the real world info coming.

will have more after mem day as i think this weekend will be a rig tying - all day 3 beer buzz kinda situation with the wind forecast...

speed above was gps with full gas tank (35 gallons)...

only buzz kill so far was the noticeable "drift" when quartering into a pretty hefty wind... kinda felt like riding a sled with no skags on the skis on ice... she will also not "cut" corners like some of the others, i'm sure because of the same thing... oh well, it will b a fishing boat 95% of the time... very happy with my choice so far...

will keep you posted...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
will have more after mem day as i think this weekend will be a rig tying - all day 3 beer buzz kinda situation with the wind forecast...

speed above was gps with full gas tank (35 gallons)...

only buzz kill so far was the noticeable "drift" when quartering into a pretty hefty wind... kinda felt like riding a sled with no skags on the skis on ice... she will also not "cut" corners like some of the others, i'm sure because of the same thing... oh well, it will b a fishing boat 95% of the time... very happy with my choice so far...

will keep you posted...

Did you get the cover with the rail lock? My wife is looking at the 24 with the 200 i would think we should get 30mph out of that one pretty easy

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a 22ft Sylvan with 150 Suzuki 4 stroke - Sylvan runs two high performance tubes. I got it tuned up and should have speed data this weekend. I am hoping for 35ish top speed.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
update...

i pulled the trigger on a suntracker 22 xp3 with a merc 150 4 stroke... got it rigged last weekend and got her wet last night for the first time... had 2 on the boat and rigged to fish with livewells empty... after looking at engine test data which is always very light and lower elevation, was expecting 32mph, hoping for 35, and got 41 with a slight tailwind on 1' chop...

was propped perfectly with an enertia 15x14, bumping 6k trimmed... with 4 people and livewells full we should still be well over 30 and low to mid 5's for revs... gonna b a good summer... :cool:

you got 41? that's pretty damn good I think! how much did you end up paying for that set up? I am kinda lookin too.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you get the cover with the rail lock? My wife is looking at the 24 with the 200 i would think we should get 30mph out of that one pretty easy

no cover yet... will use the shipping cover when we leave it after weekends... it was free...

the 24 with the 200 should go at least as good as mine i think... it's kinda slick advertising by suntracker on their toon sizes... the 20's are 19'10", the 22's are 20'1", and the 24's are 24'1" (deck lengths)... the reason i went with the 22 was wanting to stay with a 24 volt bow mount instead of jumping up to the 36, which i think i would have had to... going to the vrod was another financial step i didn't want to take...

- - - Updated - - -

you got 41? that's pretty damn good I think! how much did you end up paying for that set up? I am kinda lookin too.

ya, i'm really happy with the speed, and should get better with break in... those numbers came with less than 2 hours on it...

i paid $35,100 for boat, motor, and trailer, plus tax out the door... then about $4k out scheels door for the trinkets... spose $41k done...

http://www.suntrackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3858

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I got the sylvan on the water and was very impressed. 22ft - Two high performance tubes and 150 4 stroke Suzuki I was touching 41.5 mph on gps. No load by myself. It was smooth as baby at that speed, it made me smile.....

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder how fast one of these monsters are?

Dodici_310_19549.gif

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the premiers with triples run in the 50's, as posted they are a huge toon 10 or 12 foot wide beam 30+ foot and heavy.
Bennington has a 10 foot beam one can get triples on now too, I think most all mfgs have toons with twins.

Most all have I?O engines as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfv7Nju3RvE

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why do you need a toon to go so fast. So if your tippsey friends or kids fall overboard they skip like a flat rock. Besides the river out west we only got one big water you cannot cross in an hour. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 183
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57