How fast does your boat go?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, came factory prep'd with it. I've never dropped it real low but even a shift of 1.5" makes 1-2 mph difference. Im sure the set back helps also.A couple other things to keep in mind, the standard 200 opti and the 200 pro xs are basically the same engine with different stickers, they push 220 hp at the prop. In the 225 and 250 versions the pro comes with carbon fiber reeds, solid motor mounts and a few other go fast goodies. In the 200, the pro only gets stickers because the standard version is already hot. I believe the merc is a fair bit lighter than the Yamaha, all of my battery's including trolling batteries, fuel tank,oil tank, and heavy gear is all at the back of the boat and I'm running a custom DAH prop. It runs well for an 18 1/2 foot boat. I've been very pleased with the performance.

I surprised, my Yammie is only about 100# heavier than your Opti. That's certainly significant but I thought is was closer to 200#. I've got my pair of trolling batteries under the center rod locker. I would think our fuel tanks are in the same place. I've got the TFX so behind my windshield I sit about 8-10" aft of yours. Mine is a very early Bass Cat 2012 model, must not have quite enough bass blood in it to run 60. (grin)

I do really like to hear how similar boats are set up and what kind of performance they get, thank you!

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
2014 nitro zv21 300 verado 9.9 kicker jackplate full fuel 2 guys and all fishing gear best I've done is 58.8 but haven't played with things much. 4 blade bravo 1fs prop 21 pitch. It's running on the low end of recommended rpms also. But in rough water I'll take it every day. Not sure if it matters has trim tabs also. 5 batteries.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF, mine is literally a Bass Cat. Basically one of 3 or so Yarcraft 186fsx boats that were painted with the bas cat strip, rebadged with bass cat logo's, got the bass cat embrodery in the seats and a serial number that starts with BASxxxxxx. It however still has a nice little YC logo in the center of the steering wheel as a little reminder, lol. Try explaining that one to your insurance agent, ha ha. I honestly think it has a lot to do with the jackplate and the opti, the 200 opti is just plainly a hotrod. My previous 200 hpdi was no comparison to either of my optimax power plants when it came to out right power.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF, you got it. Unless people have seen it, I usually just tell the I run a 186 Yarcraft. I've learned if I say I run a Bass Cat Calico, 95% of people are like WTF is that and then I have to go into explaining the bass cat / Yarcraft situation. You should've seen me going back and forth with my insurance agent, lol.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wondered about my prop pitch and if I should try something different. I have a 17.5 Alumacraft Trophy with a 115 Suzuki 4-stroke and I get 30 mpg by myself.

I know less than nothing about prop pitch. What do people recommend?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wondered about my prop pitch and if I should try something different. I have a 17.5 Alumacraft Trophy with a 115 Suzuki 4-stroke and I get 30 mpg by myself.

Friend had a 175 Dominator w/115 Suzi that'd run 37-38. His was AL and had a fair bit of slip, no idea what the pitch was and he's since gotten a different rig. Seems like your's should be 5-7MPH faster at least.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
2013 lund proV 1975 225 mercury verado, 9.9 kicker, minnkota talon, 2 batteries in back and 3 up front, full tournament gear all the time, full of fuel, ill get 56mph, going to rework prop this spring, not looking for more speed but maybe better performance and less slip. Probably have about 50lbs of jigs and snaps weights along!!!;:;badidea, Have enough jigs for 20years!, but I make my own and paint them.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend had a 175 Dominator w/115 Suzi that'd run 37-38. His was AL and had a fair bit of slip, no idea what the pitch was and he's since gotten a different rig. Seems like your's should be 5-7MPH faster at least.

That is what I'm thinking as well. Any recommendations from NDA?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any recommendations from NDA?

What pitch prop do you have now? What kind of condition are the edges in? Is it AL or SS? What RPM are you running when you're wide open? Are you trimming the motor up once the boat is on plane? How much trim can you run before the prop "blows out", evidenced by losing speed and/or porposing?

That'd be a good start for the prop itself, then a guy can look @ motor height any any hull issues.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

can you over-rev RPMs at the top end if you want?

I have a bloated 2004 TP175 Alumacraft (wider than it is long) with a Johnson 4st 90 (tiller) and I can manage 33-34 tops (always loaded with everything but the kitchen sink).

Plain old 3 blade aluminum pitched to achieve 5500 RPM at full throttle. Original prop was an inch or two short and I could reach 5700RPM and 30 top speed.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
150HP on 7# if pressure is amazing. Yamaha must leave some HP on the table via tuning/mapping as well.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you over-rev RPMs at the top end if you want?

I have a bloated 2004 TP175 Alumacraft (wider than it is long) with a Johnson 4st 90 (tiller) and I can manage 33-34 tops (always loaded with everything but the kitchen sink).

Plain old 3 blade aluminum pitched to achieve 5500 RPM at full throttle. Original prop was an inch or two short and I could reach 5700RPM and 30 top speed.

Mine is the same way -- tough to get it set right --- i have motor raised all the way. With two people i can reach optimum rpm - but in my opinion it should be a little more over rev. Ski boat we had as kids - buried the needle 6+. The prop was always wore down - the thing ran constantly --- when the guy went to buy it - he check psi -- perfect - 12 year old motor that had been abused to no end - red lined constantly and it checked out. The under rpm thing bugs me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is the same way -- tough to get it set right --- i have motor raised all the way. With two people i can reach optimum rpm - but in my opinion it should be a little more over rev. Ski boat we had as kids - buried the needle 6+. The prop was always wore down - the thing ran constantly --- when the guy went to buy it - he check psi -- perfect - 12 year old motor that had been abused to no end - red lined constantly and it checked out. The under rpm thing bugs me.

Drop pitch.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who's going to be the first on here to do some upgrades on their Yamaha?

http://www.nizpromarine.com/

I want this... whisky throttle here I come

- - - Updated - - -

https://turningpointpropellers.com/PROPWIZARD/

try this... tuning your prop is all about getting the right rpm range from your motor

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 141
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 48