How fast does your boat go?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never named any of my boats, but I am feeling like I should name my current one.
Maybe something like Breaking Wind.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
2001 Champion Fishunter 194 with a 23 pitch 4 blade prop being pushed by a 225 optimax (same year as boat) will touch 52mph with only the rear tank about half full. Full front and back tanks with two people and full tourney gear she runs 48mph all day long. Get me in some 2 and 3 footers gotta back off to about mid thirties.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the guy up in Alberta ever drive that 219 Yar Craft with the 7 Marine 557 hung on the back?

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if the guys with 350's are remapping them already, and if so how much horsepower do they have?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Risky to remap until warranty is off? Wonder how much it devalues motor if you tried to resell said hotrodded rig?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having the fastest walleye boat is like having the fastest Harley. Stick a shit ton of money into something that wasn't meant for speed only to have somebody pull up next to you in a 15 year old bassboat/sportbike that cost 1/5th as much and blow your doors off.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have the fastest rig by any means but I'll play, why not. 2013 YarCraft 186FSX, 9.9 Kicker, 200 Merc Opti, 21P DAH worked Tempest Plus, Slidemaster Jackplate - 2 guys, compartments all full, 7/8 full tank of fuel and full live well coming in to weigh during small tourney last year posted a best at 59.7mph. Have broke 59 mph several times, pretty much 58mph most any day of the week, right at the max rated rpm or even a touch above (5750rpm). Think I could break 60mph with a touch more pitch or a lighter load. The factory ran this boat as a photo boat and with a stock 21 tempest said they ticked a touch over 62mph with it. Also have a 19P DAH worked Rev4 for heavy loads and sloppy water, it runs 55mph+- however gotta keep and eye on the tach, if your not loaded up with four or more people it'll run right past the high side of the recommended rpms. I actually like the handling of this prop better and run it more than the tempest, there seems to be more windy days than calm ones, lol.

The old YarCraft 1895 Storm with a 225 Opti did pretty well also, could run touch and go right at 60mph. 21P DAH worked Tempest and no jackplate. The Skeeter WX1900 that owned in between the two YarCrafts would run 49+- with a 200 HPDI and didn't seem to care which prop I ran, Tempest or Yamaha.

- - - Updated - - -

and yeh, there was a lot of hoopla floating around the world wide web when river runner recreation in taber had that 219TFX with a Sevens Marine 557 hanging on the back but I've never seen a posted report of how it ran, kind of makes you wonder a little if it didn't pan out the way the owner was thinking?

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having the fastest walleye boat is like having the fastest Harley. Stick a shit ton of money into something that wasn't meant for speed only to have somebody pull up next to you in a 15 year old bassboat/sportbike that cost 1/5th as much and blow your doors off.

or some 15 year old kid on a new Sea Doo.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yar 400.jpg
Bet this one is fun.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have the fastest rig by any means but I'll play, why not. 2013 YarCraft 186FSX, 9.9 Kicker, 200 Merc Opti, 21P DAH worked Tempest Plus, Slidemaster Jackplate - 2 guys, compartments all full, 7/8 full tank of fuel and full live well coming in to weigh during small tourney last year posted a best at 59.7mph. Have broke 59 mph several times, pretty much 58mph most any day of the week, right at the max rated rpm or even a touch above (5750rpm). Think I could break 60mph with a touch more pitch or a lighter load. The factory ran this boat as a photo boat and with a stock 21 tempest said they ticked a touch over 62mph with it. Also have a 19P DAH worked Rev4 for heavy loads and sloppy water, it runs 55mph+- however gotta keep and eye on the tach, if your not loaded up with four or more people it'll run right past the high side of the recommended rpms. I actually like the handling of this prop better and run it more than the tempest, there seems to be more windy days than calm ones, lol.

The old YarCraft 1895 Storm with a 225 Opti did pretty well also, could run touch and go right at 60mph. 21P DAH worked Tempest and no jackplate. The Skeeter WX1900 that owned in between the two YarCrafts would run 49+- with a 200 HPDI and didn't seem to care which prop I ran, Tempest or Yamaha.

- - - Updated - - -

and yeh, there was a lot of hoopla floating around the world wide web when river runner recreation in taber had that 219TFX with a Sevens Marine 557 hanging on the back but I've never seen a posted report of how it ran, kind of makes you wonder a little if it didn't pan out the way the owner was thinking?

Did you ever run your 186 without the jack plate? You're running 7-8MPH faster that I do w/200 4-stroke Yamaha, just wondering if you know what the jack plate gained you?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope, came factory prep'd with it. I've never dropped it real low but even a shift of 1.5" makes 1-2 mph difference. Im sure the set back helps also.A couple other things to keep in mind, the standard 200 opti and the 200 pro xs are basically the same engine with different stickers, they push 220 hp at the prop. In the 225 and 250 versions the pro comes with carbon fiber reeds, solid motor mounts and a few other go fast goodies. In the 200, the pro only gets stickers because the standard version is already hot. I believe the merc is a fair bit lighter than the Yamaha, all of my battery's including trolling batteries, fuel tank,oil tank, and heavy gear is all at the back of the boat and I'm running a custom DAH prop. It runs well for an 18 1/2 foot boat. I've been very pleased with the performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the real reason it runs faster is mine is actually a Bass Cat, lol. Must have a little bass boat blood in it, ha ha.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 325
  • This month: 215
  • This month: 173
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74