How fast does your boat go?

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
2012 ranger with 225 pro xs with ecu mods, I can get 62-65 with half tank and one other guy but rarely do. I'd like to know if someone can tell me if the $1000-1500 price for a hyd jackplate is worth it? I use my boat for recreational fishing and skiing, tubing and kneeboarding.

I suppose that you would have to decide what is important to you. A hydraulic or manual jackplate will both increase performance for you in both holeshot and top speed, depending on motor height. Sometimes, it evens makes the boat handle better. The main perk of a hydraulic is that changes can be made on the fly. Whereas a manual is going to require tools and time. I have a manual and wish I had a hydraulic so bad. With that being said, there's other things that I can spend $1500 on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still adjusting on mine but I'm really starting to see some serious speed now.

2007 Triton TR21X with a Mercury Pro XS 250

75.1 MPH on GPS @ 5750 RPM's

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1982 lund with1982 50 HP Merc. 28 MPH WAO. I'd like a newer Yamaha like LBrandt , I can burn 20 gallons of gas in a weekend pretty easily. Maybe I need a tune up ?
My old 82 25hp sucked the fuel down and going through one 6 gal tank was common. I just think those old motors were not designed to be fuel efficient. A 115 hp four stroke does use as much as that old motor.

fishin_4_eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Yar-Craft 2095BTX with a 200 Verado on it. I always fill up my gas tank and have a ton of tackle in the boat. With me 170lbs and a friend about 180 I can hit 50MPH if the water is flat. very few days can I run like that. My average speed is 35 to 40. That has been the best speed for Fuel and handling the chop. I can run 50 in a good chop, but its just not worth it.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
[\QUOTE]My next rig is a 2016 Nitro ZV21 with a 350 Verado. Not sure how it's going to run but I get it in the fall, after the pro staffer for Nitro is done with it. Then I will really start to tweek the setup. We'll have to see what I can do with it. I have a couple surprises coming for it.[/QUOTE]

So I have the new boat. I have some go fast goodies coming for it but the only real report I can give about speed is with 2 guys in 2.5 foot waves she runs 59.5 to 61 mph on GPS. With 4 guys in it and 50 gallons in the tank, a full livewell and all my gear, she runs 58 on GPS.

Coming soon on is my Bobs Machine Shop hydraulic jackplate, blinker style jackplate switch and a custom prop or two! I will report back when I have her dialed in!

Last edited:

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2002 Lund Pro Angler 16 Tiller with a 75 merc 4 stroke (carbed) will do 34 with two guys, 28 gallons of fuel and tackle. Push it anymore than that and it gets a little squirly.

Last edited:

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

I'm still adjusting on mine but I'm really starting to see some serious speed now.

2007 Triton TR21X with a Mercury Pro XS 250

75.1 MPH on GPS @ 5750 RPM's

I'm about as dialed in as it can possibly get with my boat now. The next thing to do is to start trying different props. However, I'm happy with my top speed when its just me in the boat.

With a half a tank of fuel and just me in it, I ran 76.9 MPH on Francis Case a couple of weeks ago.

With a full tank and just me in 2 foot waves, It still runs an easy 68 without bouncing around too much.

The only issue that I have now is how much the speed drops when I have to add another person, his tackle, and fill a livewell. I lose 5-8 MPH in those cases. I'm hoping to try a 4 blade Bravo 1 XS or the 4 blade Fury next year. That should help keep the bow up with a load of tackle in it.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Bravos have a lot of slip on the walleye boats. Not sure about the bass boats but they do carry extra weight well. Doesn't really matter if I have 2 guys or 4, but the 350 helps with that quite abit as well. The fastest I've seen on the lake is 61 with 3 guys in it. I am expecting to gain a couple with the jackplate and maybe 1 or 2 with the right prop setup. Kinda shooting for 63 to 64 tourney loaded and full on fuel. Maybe more ;)

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, it took some set up time and I have a new prop on the way but I hit my speed numbers. Pretty happy with the rig so far!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
With that north wind last Saturday, I hit 34 downstream. Damn near needed to bust out the ski goggles.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
43 but it foams my beer so I keep it around 30 when traveling. 1.5 to 2 when using bb.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
speed demon.jpg

With this speed demon, I can be on the Blugills in about 5 minutes from take off. It's ok to be jealous folks.#$%^&>

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ThE white "merc" is SWEET!
Ha ha, that's my partners boat, I threw the video together. I have to admit its damn fun to be able to drive a boat around the big lake like a car with the 350 and the jackplate on it. Full tank of gas and two guys it will touch 67 once in a while, I would think by yourself and not much gas it'd hit 70+ I suppose. Its a 219 so its a big rig and to tell you the truth I had never been in a new Yar since basscat took them over. I will tell you this, I've owned allot of skeeters and fished some tourneys in 620 and 621 rangers. This boats fit and finish is just as good as them "even the rangers" they've come a long ways thats for sure. But when you put the throttle down, well that's when the big Yars really shine in both ride and speed. I'd have one if I won the lottery! ha ha ha
We lucked out and cashed a nice check in that tourney "never fished there before", think we missed 1st by a 1/2 pound or something..good times!
By the way that white yar is owned by a friend of mine and has a white 350 on the back as well. beautiful rig!

image.jpg

I hear ya with those bass boats! We fish the Columbia and its awesome hearing that hull pop on the chop as they are coming down river that's for sure!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I'd love to have white Mike's boat!
Was on the river south of Bismarck today, saw a couple of the new 350 621 rangers running around. Man I'd be scared to have my 620 down there, lots n lots of big stuff headed down river with these high flows. Got a chuckle out of my partner who said "if you can buy a 100k ranger you'd think you'd buy a 10k river boat for this mess". #$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 239
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 70