pontoon speeds...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'm shopping again... looking to upgrade from the 20' twin tube with a blue 4st 90 to a 3 tube at 22 or 24'... love the one i have, but want something with more juice to have the confidence to go further from the ramp on big water...

looking at new suntracker 22 and 24' xp3's... everyone has boat test data, but usually at sea level and completely empty with 10 gallons of gas, so not really a real world test... i'm leaning toward a 150 pro xs on the 22, or a 200 pro xs on the 24 (both max), and wondering if anyone has a similar setup that could tell me real world speeds... i know the v-rods are nice, but will cost bout 3k more for bout 5mph less from what i see, and bumping up my speed is the biggest factor for me...

thanks all...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy has that one down here and with the 200 in the 24 he told me he was running 33-35 depending on load. I have been looking at the same set up I have the fishing barge 20 with a 60 on it and the only thing I would improve is my speed. But that has not stopped me from going where I want on Oahe just takes me longer I have probably been out in stuff I shouldn't have been but never been worried about making it back.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
See a couple around Bismarck with twin 300s. You should do that!

im of no help but no one ever said they wish they got a smaller boat. Unless they forgot to measure the spot in the garage.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Unless they forgot to measure the spot in the garage".

Funny, I know several guys that bought that bigger boat and just had a contractor come in and bump out the back side of the garage to accommodate that longer boat. Bump out is simply a box (square) where the motor of the boat would be backed into.

That multiple garage set up across the alley to the north of the Mandan Dairy Queen is one such example of the above. The garage doors face to the alley (to the south) so to see the bump out, go around to the north side of the garage. Odd looking until you know what its purpose is for.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just getting a 3 tube is not the only factor, there are many different tube variables, Not sure about the low end toons like suntracker but if wanting to get out on the big water then get one with lifting strakes on at least the outer tubes if they offer it. If skiing and tubing will be in the works where you would want better cornering then see if they offer skegs on the center tube and strakes on the inside of the outer tubes. Get the biggest tubes they offer and all the stakes you can get, help get you up out of the water and riding smoother faster and drier and can carry a larger load with a smaller engine.

If getting a 22 foot boat make sure you get a 150 minimum if going to a 23-24 foot boat make it a 200 minimum Personally after having two 22' triple tube toons with 150's I tell all to never go less than a 200 now.

I have a 2011 Bennington 22' with the ESP performance tube package and 60 gallon fuel tank in the center tube with a 150 Yamaha and a tuned ECM, it does great but it does fall off when cornering hard when tubing which is where a 200 would come in handy. My boat is heavy and with the 32" center ellipticle tube and 25 inch outer tubes with lifting strakes have been out in the middle of Sakakawea many times in 25-30 mph winds with 4 foot rollers and never once felt uneasy at all, very dry smooth ride actually.

This is my 2nd triple tube Benny, first had 3 25" tubes with lifting strakes on both sides of all 3 tubes, put a dozen people in with with full gear and the 150 it would be on full plain at around 12 mph and light loaded would do 42 MPH, current boat coeners on a dime but being a lot heavier only does 38 mph light loaded with same engine.

We have put in at Sak state park and driven all the way back past Charging eagle bay and back and that was while criss crossing in and out of bays and exploring along the way and over the course of a few 4 day weekends doing this have never burned more than 45 gallons over the long runs. This doing about 25-30 mph while open water cruising at about 4K rpms, thing does excellent fuel economy.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The xp3 package is all of that. After being on a bunch of toons and guiding a fair amount I don't know if I would call sun tracker low end but everyone has their opinions. The Bennington's I looked at were not set up to fish very well and for the price they wanted I can get into a boat for the same. Only thing that attracted me to a pontoon was room and price if I am paying the same as a real boat the real boat wins every time when I am writing the check.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree kurt... the 20' suncatcher i have is awesome, just like the layout of the suntrackers a little more in the 22, and suncatcher doesn't offer a true fishing 24... i've also been in the higher end brands and keep coming back to the suntrackers for a bigger fishing toon... and the full 10 year transferable warranty should help with resale too...

kurt, do you know which 200 the guy in your first post has???

thanks...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pro xs if memory serves me right. If you give Doug at Doug's anchor marine a call he can give a lot more details. He has sold a bunch and a great guy to deal with.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to offend, Its been a few years since looking at boats. When I originally looked at toons being a long time career heavy diesel tech and anal as hell about only buying the best, once I crawled underneath every brand toon available in the Bis/Man area, Bennington was the only one that even came close to being built to sustain rough water action at the time, every other brand was not only scary but down right dangerous and I would not want anyone I cared for on a toon with a 200+ engine strapped to something with only 4-8 bolts in the entire frame and the rest self tapping screws. The only scres on a Benny are the ones attaching the deck to the frame other than that it is entirely bolted together and has a heavier frame than a lot of others at the timebut the market has come a long ways in the toon market since then.

Just in case some didn't know Bennington got a lot bigger this year with the Acquisition of Nautic Global Group.

http://www.nauticglobalgroup.com/

[h=1]Company[/h]Nautic Global Group was formed in 2005 through a merger of Godfrey Marine and the Rinker Boat Company. Both of these formerly family-owned businesses had rich boat-building heritages that were continued to be honored and celebrated by focusing on quality, value and professionalism.
From 2005 to 2015 the company, from their manufacturing facilities in Elkhart, IN and Syracuse, IN, proudly built industry leading products including Hurricane deck boats, Godfrey pontoon boats (Sanpan, Aqua Patio and Sweetwater brands) Rinker Express Cruisers and Captiva Sport Boats, Polar Kraft aluminum fishing boats, and Parti Kraft pontoon boats.
On September 21, 2015, Nautic Global Group and Bennington Marine announced that the companies had signed a definitive acquisition agreement whereby Bennington Marine would acquire all of the brands and certain assets and liabilities of Nautic Global Group. The acquisition by Bennington Marine was completed on October 2, 2015.
As of October 3, 2015 Nautic Global Group is no longer in the business of manufacturing and selling recreational boats and all employees were transitioned to the acquiring company. To contact Nautic Global Group please refer to Contact Us.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one guy I help guide has 200 days on his suntracker this year alone so they are plenty durable.

Raider check out tmc pontoons they are built to order and the price is reasonable

KIMG0313.jpg

Attachments

KIMG0313.jpg

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to get back on topic of speed alone on big water in a 22-24 foot toon which was the original question no matter the boat remember 200 minimum, From all my time on all the toon forums and first hand experience with 2 of my own and several friends triple tubes go the biggest you can afford the first go around and get as close to the max HP the boat is rated for. DO NOT SHORT YOURSELF ON HP IF WANTING SPEED ON THE BIG WATER ESPECIALLY WITH A TOON BARGE.
Also get all the lifting strakes you can get on the tubes.

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to get back on topic of speed alone on big water in a 22-24 foot toon which was the original question no matter the boat remember 200 minimum, From all my time on all the toon forums and first hand experience with 2 of my own and several friends triple tubes go the biggest you can afford the first go around and get as close to the max HP the boat is rated for. DO NOT SHORT YOURSELF ON HP IF WANTING SPEED ON THE BIG WATER ESPECIALLY WITH A TOON BARGE.
Also get all the lifting strakes you can get on the tubes.

i agree wild, and thank you for all the input...

i really like the looks of what i'm looking at, and it affords me the ability to max out the power... that's also why i'm thinking pro xs over the v rod... i know there are faster hulled toons out there, yours included, but not for anything close to 40k with a 200... i looked at a manitou on boat trader today - 88k... that would sure be fun, but not that fun...

here are 2 examples of what i was talking about earlier... real world speeds are not even close, which is why i'm looking for better info...

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/6317/?units=imperial

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/6310/?units=imperial

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fully straked 22-24 foot toon with a 200 should put you @ 40 ish+mph consistant top end depending on boat load and setup.
If they offer a larger fuel tank than standard package get the center tube mounted one if possible do not know what they offer. can you supply a link to the toon you are looking at, I would personally do a build a boat " Most mfgs offer this online" It is flat out mind boggling all the options there are for pontoons now days, heck Bennington offers about 20 different flooring options alone now, and custom order it they way you want, that is what I did on my second and current boat after buying one off the lot the first time and then learning what we would like different.

Stay away from carpet too, it is hard to keep clean and there are many different flooring options available now. If a fishing rig an absolute is dual battery setup from factory as well.

Once you hit 200+ hp electric power steering will be a nice addition as well if it is not standard. You will get tired of man handling the wheel with normal hydraulic steering.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
why the pro xs --- are the new opti's quiet. I would want a something quiet on a toon. Buddy got a 150 4stroke merc -- and its plenty fast --- most of the time though one is at slower speed.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
why the pro xs --- are the new opti's quiet. I would want a something quiet on a toon. Buddy got a 150 4stroke merc -- and its plenty fast --- most of the time though one is at slower speed.

i'm looking for the extra speed... opti gives me bout +5mph and -$3k... we fish 95% of the time, and 99% of that is trolling with the electric... and i can't hear worth a shit anymore anyway...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am just the opposite I back troll with the big motor most the time. So I really like the quite of the 4 strokes. I do love the smell of a two stroke brings me back to the old snowmobile days.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 stroke trolls better then a 4 and it doesn't hurt em. Then u might as well get the big dog. We drink on pontoons. We also bs so it's nice to be able to hear someone say. Grab me another Busch light.

- - - Updated - - -

Kurt u can't smell em anymore. If I do wot for several miles then let off the throttle to a crawl and if the wind is blowing from my back then maybe I get a wiff of what smells like cooking oil. That's a maybe. The 100 synthetic smells just like it burns not much smell to it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sucks as that was one of my favorite parts about the 2 stroke. With myittle 60 4stroke I can't hear that thing purr at all while back trollig all day. 50 gallon tank of fuel lasts along time to but I only go a blazing 19 mph at wot. When I upgrade if I can get 30 mph I will be plum happy.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I am in the minority when it comes to the smell.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11