Too many pike

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah open the limit. Then every Tom, Dick and Harry with an overlimit of pike would say, Dont worry Mr. Game Warden I was fishing Raleigh Reservoir. Oh I already know the comeback to this, Who the bleap would take over their limit of pike!!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc6ywqoL6o

I found the link to the Raleigh Reservoir if you opened the limit on pike

So its better for the fish to just rot?

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wished they would do something about the aquatic weeds that reservoir has a problem with, it was pretty horrible last year

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the right thing to do and I wish they would get back to doing it more often. Used to have problems with guys bucket dumping perch into fish creek and the fishing in the lake would go way downhill. They ended up killing it off a couple times in the 90's but they ended up making a pretty damn nice lake out of her. I would definitely agree that the pike limit could be unlimited almost no one keeps the damn things anyway. Keep a couple of the more trophy lakes like Sak and Oahe a bit lower. They definitely don't need to put them into any new lakes I already have to buy enough new tackle each year because of them!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is a reservoir it must have an inlet. Won't the pike just get back in there?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was down to Raleigh hunting this fall. The lake was drained downed and they were doing shoreline work. 70% of the lake was dry. We watched guys pulling northerns out during rifle season.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raliegh used to be a good trout, bass, and bluegill lake BEFORE pike were in there. I have no problem with what they are doing. Good pike lakes are a dime a dozen in this state. Once pike are in a lake bass, trout and bluegill seem to take a huge hit. Nice to fish a lake without pike for a change. Fishcreek is a good example. Its a great bass fishery and trout.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
12 inch dinks. Kill em off. Signed former fbo arm chair biologist

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
i bet most of the pike complainers are too lazy to clean them and learn how to bone them.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
i bet most of the pike complainers are too lazy to clean them and learn how to bone them.
Count me in on this group. I do think pike have a slightly better flavor than walleye and I do know how to debone them I just hate messing with the slime. Walleye are so much easier I feel no need to clean a slimer. I do like catching pike of the trophy class though. I am not at all anti pike I just dont think they need to be in every lake in the state. Its nice to have a good bass lake or trout lake or walleye and perch lake without pike every now and then.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It just seems to make sense to put a free for all on the place before it's poisoned. These over harvest at other lakes arguments sound like the "gun show loophole".

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
when are they poisoning this lake? They made it look like they dropped the water levels quite a bit on the news last night, should be easy pickins.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starving full of bones 11inch and less pike. Who really wants to go get em

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking....why not catch them and release them in the lake or pond that could use them...now now you pike hates settle down, just merely suggestion they at least could net them up, transfer them or sell the filets...not kill them off...think the G&F forget how to use their brains of logic.

I believe the reason that they wouldn't want to transport them to another lake is largely based on the possibility of transferring some type of a disease to the new body of water. There's always a chance that the fish for the lake (In this case, Raliegh) could have some disease that could spread at another lake if introduced. And I'm sure the logistics of the whole thing wouldn't make it worthwhile for G&F.

Just my guess though.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they would just remove limits for PIKE for that lake for a couple years, put it in the regs, if that would make a difference. If I was trying to figure out where to go and wanted to fill a freezer and had a choice between a regular lake and one that had no limit on pike, Id give the no limit place a shot at least!

I would say that the issue with this solution is that you would never completely eradicate the pike population like G&F is shooting for. Instead, you might reduce it down by, say, 90% if it truly got hit hard. In another couple of years, the lake could very well be right back to the same pike numbers.

Whereas with a 100% fish kill (which I'm not sure how I feel about) would at least ensure that there are no pike in there whatsoever. Or at least until some guy decides he'd like pike in his local lake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53