Going from a pickup to an suv

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets cut to the chase here. I have had a pickup of some kind for forever and not really had any serious complaints on any of them that i have had as they all have done what i want them to do. However as the size of the family has changed my current 2012 Ford supercrew is getting a little tight when it comes to space for the whole family (3 kids, wife, myself and dog).

I am looking at getting rid of the pickup and buying a large SUV like a Suburban or Expedition EL. I know what i am looking for in terms of options and things so the big question I have is has anyone else made a vehicle change like this? How do you like it? I am thinking I will be able to make the transition work ok with a hitch rack to haul deer and other large game and birds are cleaned in the field and put in a cooler so thats pretty much dealt with and I have a utility trailer to haul most anything else.

Who on here has made such a change and did you regret it?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had two suburbans then an Expedtion then went to a pick-up…however in my case family got smaller so pick up was a no brainer…I have to say I loved the suburbans and would go with one of those unless Ford decides to put an ecoboost in the expedition…the chevy 5.3L is a much better engine than fords 5.4L … when I did own suburbans first thing a bought was a good 5x8 trailer … later purchased one of those cargo carriers that goes on the back hitch(mostly for hauling gas cans so they didn’t stink up the inside)…if you take the plunge go suburban and don’t look back

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would never haul a deer on one of those racks that go into the back. There is an awful lot of dust that swirls behind a vehicle when driving down gravel.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the dust thing figured out i think. Body bags. Not game bags but zip up body bags should work to solve that problem of course they will only be used to get from hunting area to home. if not the deer will be quartered, cleaned, and put in a cooler.

Expeditions starting in 2015 had the Eco-Boost. I had a couple chevy 5.3 liter motors and they were decent engines but the ones I had burned oil something fierce.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had two suburbans then an Expedtion then went to a pick-up…however in my case family got smaller so pick up was a no brainer…I have to say I loved the suburbans and would go with one of those unless Ford decides to put an ecoboost in the expedition…the chevy 5.3L is a much better engine than fords 5.4L … when I did own suburbans first thing a bought was a good 5x8 trailer … later purchased one of those cargo carriers that goes on the back hitch(mostly for hauling gas cans so they didn’t stink up the inside)…if you take the plunge go suburban and don’t look back

They are going eco this year.

We just bought a 2008 Expedition EL so far other than the fuel use I love it. I am a die hard Ford guy but was wary about buying a 5.4. I wouldnt touch a 04-06 5.4 with a 10 foot stick. but Ford did get some ( not all ) of the bugs worked out on the later years.
The chevy 5.3 is a great engine. the transmission behind it is the weak point.
As far as interior I feel Ford wins. Fold flat rear seat is awesome instead of taking them out or just flipping them up.
Also the 3rd row in a Ford is more usable. a Chevy the back seat is almost on the floor and it puts you in a very uncomfortable seating position. The Ford has the floor pan deeper so a normal size human can be comfortable.
We looked at a few suburbans and expeditions. The Ford to use was a better fit.
Towing the Chevy has a solid rear axle so to me its a win. I dont like IRS.
Drive both. Both are great vehicles. both have strong points and weak points
Buy what makes you and the Mrs happy.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I decided to try a Suburban from a truck about 8 years ago. I went with a Suburban. I did get good mats and a divider for the back area to keep my lab in the back.

What I liked:
1. The ride! I found the ride to blow away a truck's ride. When going down trails with others following I noticed I was usually the first one down them.
2. The ability to keep things inside without them getting all dusty or to freeze in the box.
3. Room, room, and more room.

What I didn't like:
1. Wet, dirty, stinky dogs now being inside my vehicle rather than outside in the box and having to gag all the way home.
2. How much less heavy duty (underneath) a Suburban is compared to a truck. Here's an actual example. While ice fishing in the spring there had been a warm spell that melted a lot of the trails. These trails later refroze on top and were about 12-18" deep with 2 or 3 inches of ice on top. As I drove down this trail breaking the ice I heard and felt a couple of "thumps". I happened to look in my rearview mirror and saw something weird in the water. What happened was as I broke the ice with my tires the ice pushed up against the big plastic fender wells above the two front tires. The pressure then pushed them against the tires which in turn popped all the plastic rivets out and basically peeled the two fender wells off and they were laying in the water. This exposed the unprotected bottom side of the major fuse box along with everything else in the engine compartment. The guys with pickups didn't have this issue. They got to keep fishing while I had drive slowly to my dealers shop.
3. The handiness of a pickup box. With a Suburban you can't just throw junk or other things in the back like you can a pick up. You need to constantly be hooking up your trailer.

After an accident totaled out my Suburban I did go back to a truck. Trucks are just too handy for us "guys". If it's an option financially, keep your current truck and then get a Suburban. You'd have the best of both worlds.

If you do decide to get a Suburban, I have two bits of advice. Get an aluminum trailer (don't even think about a metal one) and for your tailgate rack go to a shop and have an aluminum one made that fits your portable ice house or whatever you're going to put on it. Most racks you see advertised are junk. Have one made properly so it's tough and fits what you're going to use it for. Lighting on your rack is also a good idea in case what you have on it blocks your taillights. It'll save you a ticket.

BTW..... If anyone is looking for a set of Black third row seats I have a set. I'd taken them out and when my truck was totaled forgot all about them. They were in a 2008 Suburban and are black leather.

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
The EcoBoost would definitely sway me towards the ford…however I hate the traction control in our expedition way to touchy…now granted it’s not the EL and I do like the independent rear suspension…but the ride of the suburban is pretty tough to beat…I hear you on the rear seats…my old suburban you had to take out the whole third seat which was a pain in the ass…but that was an ’03 not sure on the newer ones...just have to get out and sit in a few…but I think that EcoBoost in that size vehicle would push me hard that way

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 2016 chev has fold down seats. they do not fold flat. the guy at the chevy dealership tried selling me on that since they fold at an incline its easy to pull stuff like cooler out of the back since you are pulling downhill....

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in a similar situation about 6 or 7 months ago. Went from 2 kids to 4 in 3 months (long story).

I still have a crew cab pickup (only reason at the time for keeping it was the 4 kids situation was supposed to be temporary) and picked up a Yukon XL (same as suburban). My wife tells me I can't have a dead deer in the back of the XL so she thinks I should keep both.

Mind you I have a topper on my pickup, so weather and locking issues aren't a difference.

There are just things you don't think about when you have the pick up. Tossing wood in the back, letting things hang over the tail gate, or if needed leaving the tailgate down, the ability to hose out the back. My biggest was the gas cans. Still haven't invested in one of the carriers. Depending on what you do most though, the pros out weigh the cons.

In the crew, my dog was in a kennel in the back. In the XL he runs free (not enough room to have the kennel up). So there is more hair in the XL. Also you have to put up with the dog farts.

In the XL, the kids have more elbow room. They aren't hitting each other, throwing crap on each other. Downside, you have more to vacuum. In the XL you have more seating room, so if you are someplace (camping, visiting relatives, ect) you can fit more people in your vehicle without have to switch around car seats or take 2 vehicles.

Ice fishing just plain sucks if you have a portable. haven't figured it out yet.

I have a 12ft jon boat I toss in the back of my pickup. I can't do that with the XL.

I don't know what you haul, but from a 2012 Chev Crew to an 07 XL, the tow capacity drops a decent amount. I think the pickup has a 9500lb tow cap. The Xl has a capacity of 7900. Something to keep in mind. (there is a transmission change in there, have determined if that impacts anything)

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in an f150 now but I had an 02 sub for about 7 years. Back when I used to get deer tags, I used an ice fishing style (otter) sled to put the deer in and then in the back of the sub. Worked well, all blood stayed in the sled. For ice fishing it worked pretty well. I had a clam yukon which fit in the back without having to fold the middle seats down. Same size house that fits in a 5.5 truck box. Not sure if the newer suburbans have that much room.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy is a suburban guy and has a set of AL drawers that fit the back perfectly with the 3rd seat out. Most of the stuff you'd keep in a pickup tool box or in the box somehow like jumper cables, extra draw bar for the receiver hitch, tire chains, tools, etc all fit in there and unless someone sees you with the door open, you really can't tell it's in there so there's a measure of security as well. Probably loose ~6-8" of free vertical storage space as a result.

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been in a Yukon XL the last 7 years due to kids/dogs. Best situation for our family at the time and will roll it over 200k today so i'm going out vehicle shopping later this fall. The positives far outweighed the negatives and with my oldest in sports now i just don't get out hunting/fishing anymore like i used to. With that said, it will be a pick up again this time around because i miss the shit out of a truck bed to haul stuff!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I've been in a Yukon XL the last 7 years due to kids/dogs. Best situation for our family at the time and will roll it over 200k today so i'm going out vehicle shopping later this fall. The positives far outweighed the negatives and with my oldest in sports now i just don't get out hunting/fishing anymore like i used to. With that said, it will be a pick up again this time around because i miss the shit out of a truck bed to haul stuff!
5.3 or 6.2? Thanks

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both for 40 years. Suburban like you say for family dog works great, stays a little cleaner, I built my own rack that folds works good. Have pickup too for pulling toyhauler and hunting too. Get full size model, I am GM man so don't know nothing about other brands. Have topper to take on and off if need really is nice to.

Last edited:

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Well the best vehicle I have ever owned was a 1999 Tahoe. The owners now have over 200K miles on it . with just maintenance. It towed boats from Bismarck to Sak , this is before the tow mode days . Hauled Hide a beds easily and about anything else you could haul . I ended up going to a pickup because I started hauling gas cans . I hate the damn dust in the pickups but I guess its a trade off

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the best vehicle I have ever owned was a 1999 Tahoe. The owners now have over 200K miles on it . with just maintenance. It towed boats from Bismarck to Sak , this is before the tow mode days . Hauled Hide a beds easily and about anything else you could haul . I ended up going to a pickup because I started hauling gas cans . I hate the damn dust in the pickups but I guess its a trade off
317,000 miles on my 2002 Tahoe before retiring it for something newer - was still running well but minor things started piling up. The damn thing just ran. Wife even drove it for 40k miles without an oil change at one point 😲

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd put a topper on the pick up for the dog and gear. Nothing worse then stinky dog and dead smell in the cab of a vehicle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14