Baltimore bridge collapse

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it was some kind of Joke. What kind of gps and guidance would this ship have?? unless pilot died i can see no excuse for this.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to fine the ship on the Marine traffic site and it isn't showing up . Supposedly it was The Dali, cargo ship flying a Singapore flag. It's gonna take a while to get that thing replaced.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it was some kind of Joke. What kind of gps and guidance would this ship have?? unless pilot died i can see no excuse for this.
Looks like the ship lost power at least twice before striking the bridge. Awful stuff.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see that now, You can see the smoke he had that thing pinned in reverse.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO it doesnt look like that bridge was well constructed. Youd think they could build a bridge that would remain standing if one support was removed. I can see that PART falling, but the whole damn thing? I wonder how much the insurance company is freaking out today that provides the policy for that ship.

Note to self: bring swimming trunks when driving across bridges in the future...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO it doesnt look like that bridge was well constructed. Youd think they could build a bridge that would remain standing if one support was removed. I can see that PART falling, but the whole damn thing? I wonder how much the insurance company is freaking out today that provides the policy for that ship.

Note to self: bring swimming trunks when driving across bridges in the future...
So with your engineering wisdom how would you design a bridge to keep standing from lateral impacts?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1711477353989.png

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So with your engineering wisdom how would you design a bridge to keep standing from lateral impacts?
Im thinking maybe a floating bridge that also has hovercraft abilities so when I ship gets close, it raises automatically using a cloud of air to a height that would allow the ship to continue unhindered.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

The Baltimore bridge disaster is what happens when 95,000 tons of modern cargo ship meets America's aging infrastructure, experts say​

• Baltimore's largest bridge collapsed after a cargo vessel, the Dali, crashed into it.
  • Experts told BI that a mechanical failure aboard the ship could have caused the crash.
  • The bridge was never built with modern container ships in mind.
The destruction of Baltimore's largest bridge early Tuesday morning has raised major questions about how such a disaster could have happened.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
how could it have happened? 190000000 (assuming the 95,000 tons number to be correct) pounds moving at say 15 mph by my math is something like the equivalent to nearly 1/2 ton of TNT. maybe i am wrong. its seems like a lot t expect a bridge to survive that. i suppose some real big concrete bases would be ok? and only destroy the nearby sections? i admit, that bridge collapsed like a stack of tiddly winks.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just another grim reminder that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Life can be over in a blink of an eye. That call or text you were gonna send to a friend to say hi, never got sent because it got put off, and then just like that, it is too late. I have been guilty of it. Prayers to the families that lost loved ones.

WalleyeGuy80

Looks like the ship lost power at least twice before striking the bridge. Awful stuff.

I agree with the loss of power, but unless the channel runs that close to the bridge support why the hell was it even that close to being with? Maybe the video is sped way up or the angle is deceiving, but to me if he was going straight, and was right in between the supports he wouldn't have drifted that far off course before they got it fired back up..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just heard an engineer say there is not a bridge in the world that is designed to take and impact like this. It would be economically impossible to build that

Last edited:

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Total spitball here, but at least one of the anchors was down. Guessing after they lost power they dropped anchor(s) to try and stop and that might have pulled them over just enough to hit the bridge.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just showed the enemy another way to take down our infrastructure.
Just read where Biden said the good old U.S. Taxpayer is going to pay for rebuilding this bridge.
Do you think they will get the ship or shipping company to reimburse us? :unsure:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Total spitball here, but at least one of the anchors was down. Guessing after they lost power they dropped anchor(s) to try and stop and that might have pulled them over just enough to hit the bridge.
yep - anchor off to one side swung them into the support with momentum they had

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure this must somehow be Trumps fault.
He doesn’t have time to plan something like this, he’s selling bibles. How many have you bought? I did see where Fox is blaming Buttigieg or the border issue. You magas better tighten your tinfoil hats, Fox will have dozens more conspiracy theories before this is put to rest. johnr, after you read the trump bible, can I have it? He’s a f-cking clown.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88