Eating fish eggs

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried caviar a couple weeks ago and thought it was delicious

Hah, over a beer a couple months ago, a buddy and I both mentioned we had never tried caviar and was wondering if it was as big of a deal as the rich and famous make it out to be.

$150 for 2 ounces of paddlefish caviar from Amazon, some $40 worth of blini and sour cream later, only to discover neither of us really liked caviar. Mildly fishy, but the reviews of it being somewhat nutty and buttery tasting were misleading. I was expecting it to be salty at least, nope...they just tasted like fish eggs. I guess I'm just not refined enough to appreciate caviar.

As a kid my best friend's dad would fry up perch eggs and eggs in bacon grease while out camping. Probably because of the bacon grease, but I never complained about them.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, over a beer a couple months ago, a buddy and I both mentioned we had never tried caviar and was wondering if it was as big of a deal as the rich and famous make it out to be.

$150 for 2 ounces of paddlefish caviar from Amazon, some $40 worth of blini and sour cream later, only to discover neither of us really liked caviar. Mildly fishy, but the reviews of it being somewhat nutty and buttery tasting were misleading. I was expecting it to be salty at least, nope...they just tasted like fish eggs. I guess I'm just not refined enough to appreciate caviar.

As a kid my best friend's dad would fry up perch eggs and eggs in bacon grease while out camping. Probably because of the bacon grease, but I never complained about them.
I made like 10lbs of caviar from the first female paddlefish I caught. Also didnt like it much and ended up throwing most of it out... Must be an acquired taste!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Older people use to fry cow and pigs brains with eggs. Not that hard up YET

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Asian restaurant in my town whip up a fish boil when we bring in our catch,they tempura sunfish,crappie fillets,absolutely delicious but the fish boil soup? I passed when fish egg sack 's floated up along with fish heads....seems sucking eye balls is a thing...pass.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of fish do you own? Is it a native setup?
mostly guppies in a planted aquarium
1000003334.jpg
1000003155.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never tried them, never will. 🤮

I've said it before............I'd rather lick a skunks ass!! 🤪

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
This seems to be an "only if I need to" thing. I've had em and appreciate that I can or would. But, certainly don't feel the need to try em again unless my life depended on it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a youtube video how to make Keto friendly fish eggs but while watching it I lost my appetite for them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like sandwiches better without fish eggs. This thread is weird.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^I'll explain it. I didn't think of this until after first post: He was ate up with cancer during one of his last interviews on Letterman. He said basically; the meaning of life was how much you enjoyed a sandwich. There's much more available. I'm slightly in tears: Way to fuck up a WTF post:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bet is baked then dehydrated fish eggs would be a healthy treat dogs would enjoy, maybe cats also. Theres a lot of nutrition there that goes to waste, thats why I put them in my snail food...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My bet is baked then dehydrated fish eggs would be a healthy treat dogs would enjoy, maybe cats also. Theres a lot of nutrition there that goes to waste, thats why I put them in my snail food...

I'm surprised that man hasn't adapted to the idea of eating fish eggs. Or maybe they did and phased it out a few generations ago when they became farmers rather than gatherers. Fish eggs sound better than pig brains ,blood sausage or cow tongue. Those was common back when they butchered thier own beef and pork , not much went to waste.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised that man hasn't adapted to the idea of eating fish eggs. Or maybe they did and phased it out a few generations ago when they became farmers rather than gatherers. Fish eggs sound better than pig brains ,blood sausage or cow tongue. Those was common back when they butchered thier own beef and pork , not much went to waste.
hunger is one hell of a motivator

I bet asian cultures are all over those fish eggs

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunger is one hell of a motivator

I bet asian cultures are all over those fish eggs

Oddly, while I agree the Asian people tend to be fine connoisseurs of the odd, I don't remember seeing them as an option. Water bugs, minnows in a glass of water, squirming octopus on the plate, larvae, fried flies, monkey, dog, and bolut (baked bird in the shell) are all on the menu depending on where you find yourself dining. But not fish eggs, hmmm?

And before some of you think the above are weird, many people from northern Africa think our eating of lobster and crab is disgusting.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was on naked and afraid, I would be all over those fish eggs! Problem could be that some eggs, like gar, are poisonous. Also like many freshwater fish products, there might be a parasite risk to eating them? Not sure about that...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88