Tennis elbow and fishing

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Has anyone had to deal with it? I developed a case of tennis elbow, last fall, after WAY too much jigging rap fishing. I thought it had gone away, over the winter, but while we were up on Lake Winnipeg it flared back up.

Now, if I do one hookset with my right arm it sets me right back to square one. So, currently, it looks like I’ll be fishing left handed all summer.

I do stretches, and they help. I ice it, and that helps, but it sure seems to flare right back up, very easily.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
went through it for quite a few years from work, used to chuckle at people that wore the bands on their forearms. then i got it. swear to God it would go away until i realized it was gone then it would come back. the arm bands helped some. haven't had it in a couple years now. chiropractor helped a couple times for a few months.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had it bad last summer. Fish in am golf n then fish rest of day. I think phones are A big issue to. Keying does too

In my case l to r. Nicely perfect balanced baitcaster helped.

Plus eat good veggies lots of milk allow yourself to tan

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had it, it sucks for sure.

I also recommend the arm band that puts pressure on a different spot. It's stupid how well that can work. Mine came from shingling a yard shed , and then having kids strung it out for several years as they rode in carriers.

Tis been fine for quite a few years now, but yuck! Get the armband and wear it all day long to make the most of its benefits.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yeah, troll more using cranks and spinners. The walleyes usually hook themselves, so you can just reel. Even with it in the rod holder. Boring? Yes, but it will be much less painful.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Unfortunately V time is the best healer...in my experience. 5 or 6 years ago got it bad from playing racquetball...ice and time only thing that worked for me. Now 6 years later have zero issues with the elbow...go to the gym 6 days a week...no problems. Good luck man! Like Allen said...less jigging this year - more cranking!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
V,
I had it so bad I actually went to the Dr for it. They sent me to a physical therapist who put some kid of electrode patch on it. I wore it for about a week and then went back for replacements until they figured I was good. Worked wonders for me for quite a few years. I had it show up again but not bad enough to go to the therapist yet.
It's worth a try and pretty easy to try.
Fish On!

V,
I used the arm band and it didn't touch the pain! If it works, go for it. If the arm band doesn't work, then next steps.

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20230430-084626.png
Try something like this. I have tendonitis in my knee. A brace similar to this helps immensely.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a coincidence, I'm going through the same thing for almost 3 months now on my right elbow. Those Winnipeg trips were brutal! My Dr had me wearing a wrist brace to limit movement of that tendon and also gave me some nitro patches to put on the tendon that was supposed to increase bloodflow but neither worked. It is even disrupting my sleep and is quite painful at times.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have tennis elbow, but I have had something going on in my wrist for a couple of years now. It's really affected my jiggin' rap and jiggin thru the ice. I did PT for it and it helped alot, but it still fatigues fast and if I fish the entire day I end up switching to my left hand.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had it bad for 2 years from golf mostly. Sometimes couldn't even pick up a pitcher of beer (life threatening).
Went to (CC's Physical Therapy in Bismarck ND has been leaders in health & wellness since 2011) for what they call DRY NEEDELING. I think i did 6 sessions and completely gone for 3 years now.
AMAZING RESULTS. Read up on this technique it works and is becoming very popular.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84