Pheasant numbers?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We usually have a few hanging around but I haven't saw one all summer. Same with ruffed and sharptail , It's been a few years now since I've heard a ruffed .

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20241012_130507.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly what happened. It was still alive and after about 15 minutes looking in same spot she pounced on it and still couldn't see it right at my feet. It ran and she ended up getting it

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have experience with porcupine. Dog got hit on Saturday. Took to the vet and they removed a bunch more quills after we removed a fair share in the field. This morning found 2 more in the chin but one broke off. Do I need to have another trip to the vet? Can I let it work out or should i try to perform some of my own surgery.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have experience with porcupine. Dog got hit on Saturday. Took to the vet and they removed a bunch more quills after we removed a fair share in the field. This morning found 2 more in the chin but one broke off. Do I need to have another trip to the vet? Can I let it work out or should i try to perform some of my own surgery.
Watch and see if it works its way out. If it becomes infected go to vet immediately that can get serious real fast.

I hate porcupines I kill with no mercy

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch and see if it works its way out. If it becomes infected go to vet immediately that can get serious real fast.

I hate porcupines I kill with no mercy
Hate them also, as have had run in's with my dogs. Usually use more shells then needed when disposing. Hopefully all is well with the hound.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
if possible,, take a finger nail clipper and clip just a bit off the end of the quill,, makes it a lot easier to pull out..

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, porky's suck! I remember a few yrs back our Springer got hit....on her very first hunt. Thank GOD it was just a glancing blow as not many got to her face. She was a trooper as she basically let me pull as many out as I could. I used my Leatherman. I brought her back to the truck to sit things out a while but she wanted none of that...whining from the truck as we left for another walk. SHE DID NOT want to be left behind.haha so i knew she was gonna be ok. I let her hunt with us the next field we hunted. She was running in the field dragging a leg where she must have used a paw to swat the porky and or her face so leg/paw was still sore...but she wanted to hunt dammit. haha We were still picking out quills that evening after the hunt. and..some quills were still working their way out weeks afterwards.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 239
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39