Favorite Kind of ice shelter

Best Ice Shelter Type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of variables involved but personally I like a 2-3 man flip over for early or late ice or decent weather conditions. It's light enough to load/unload from my receiver rack, big enough to haul all my gear and easy setup/takedown. Nothing beats a permanent for comfort but not always the best option. The hub and suitcase just become a cluster in ND wind IMO.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love ice fishing in my slippers, a wheel house allows me to do that

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a few days where I laughed at people with a wheel house last year, thinking to myself, "how much fishing did you get done with all the snow on the lake".

Then reality kicked in and I'd say to myself, "how many fish did I catch and how hard did I work my ass off last year walking on foot on every lake through all that snow".

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a few days where I laughed at people with a wheel house last year, thinking to myself, "how much fishing did you get done with all the snow on the lake".

Then reality kicked in and I'd say to myself, "how many fish did I catch and how hard did I work my ass off last year walking on foot on every lake through all that snow".

The lakes in SEND had very little snow on them and was able to go just about anywhere I wanted.

Jake , your right about the slippers. Mine never leave the house.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flip over has been my favorite. Might change this year though. First full year with the new setup and I can't wait.
Tracked ATV and a 8x12' aluma lite skid house. Should be able to go anywhere, snow or no snow. Light enough and easy enough to move around if needed or simply set it up for the weekend like a wheelhouse. Mobility of a flip over with the comforts of a wheelhouse.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
For where I fish my 6x12 aluma lite skid house works the best for me actually faster to move than a flip over. I have been fishing out of a single man flip over for the last month and can hardly wait till there is enough ice for my skid

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a weirdo. I have a flip over shappell that I use frequently, but my favorite is an old S2000 Shappell "2-man" suitcase style house. It's tiny. Have I fished two people in it? Yes. Is it practical? Hell no. But for portability in a vehicle and comfort on the ice, it's not a bad combo. I can fish two lines, have my heater and flasher going, a bag of tackle and other odds and ends inside, and everything else outside. And it's light enough that I can slide it to another location without having to take it down. Only issue is it's no longer in production and a mouse got to it a couple years back. Not worth the hastle (or probably the cost) but I'd love to replace the tarp and keep it in use. Nostalgic, I guess.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hub for early/late ice. Wheel house after I've seen lots of others drive out. Slippers, football, chili on the stove with the honda running outside.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished out em all. Got rid of wheel hs 97. Went back to portables. Comfort u can't beat a perm or whlhs. For mobility u can't beat a portable

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had the pleasure of a wheel house, had always used the hub styles, bought a otter lodge pro lodge flip over last year and sold it after 3 uses. Without tracks on my quad someone was gonna find me tits up in a snow bank trying to pull that bitch. Went back to a hub, besides....law says I can have 4 rods and dammit I’m gonna use em. The 5 sided Eskimo will fish 3 guys 4 rods each and still plenty of room for gear, and at 40#’s or so I’m good to go

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flip over has been my favorite. Might change this year though. First full year with the new setup and I can't wait.
Tracked ATV and a 8x12' aluma lite skid house. Should be able to go anywhere, snow or no snow. Light enough and easy enough to move around if needed or simply set it up for the weekend like a wheelhouse. Mobility of a flip over with the comforts of a wheelhouse.

Some day I hope to have this setup...right now I have a wheelhouse and Denali(if I remember right) portable. Wheelhouse has definite advantages as far as comfort goes. Kids love spending the weekend out on the ice catching fish and watching movies. Portable is a 4 man which flips on both sides. Makes an awesome 2 man especially when you're out on a multiple day trip. Buddy has a hub style that he not so lovingly refers to as his "Chinese kite". Lots of room but sucks in the wind and nowhere dry to put stuff.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone sprayed Rhino Lining or Flexseal on the inside of your flip over sled? And if so how well did it hold up? I'm thinking about doing it because I would like the bottom of the sled to be a lighter color than black.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone sprayed Rhino Lining or Flexseal on the inside of your flip over sled? And if so how well did it hold up? I'm thinking about doing it because I would like the bottom of the sled to be a lighter color than black.

heavier than you suspect

maybe just spray paint white after solvent cleanup?

I sandwiched corrugated white plastic and pink foam (1”) with construction adhesive

then cut out piece to fit bottom perfect, cut bucket holes, heater holes, propane tank hole, etc. and it worked great

- - - Updated - - -

Voyager X-TREME 11ft x 6ft x 6ft 03.jpg
after years of abuse

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

it really did work out good - sometimes experiments don't pan out - ha ha

only down side was dropping jigs and such that would fall down along the 1/4 gap along the sides or gap in holes and you had to go fishing for them

I usually said eff it and dug the rusty buggers out end of the day loading up or end of season

sure helps keep crap from sliding around and causing chaos

I found some short buckets that fit under seat bars, etc

I have since sold this rig (6-7 years ago)

- - - Updated - - -

(that small hole was for the rim on the bottom of a 10lb propane tank)_

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someday I hope global warming keeps the lakes open 365 days out of the year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 128
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84