One man ice house or small two man

rapala_09

Honored Member
What is your opinion on a one man flip over style ice house? It seems like it'd be nice for loading and unloading, but for the $400 price tag that something like the clam Kenai thermal has, maybe a guy would be better off buying a small two person house? It'd be a little larger to store and heavier to move, but you wouldn't be limiting yourself to just one fisherman.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
TWO MAN!!! ALL DAY LONG!!! Just take a tape measure with you to the sporting goods store and measure the amount of space you have inside a one man flip over. Then measure the footprints of the heater, depth finder, and anything else you will have at your feet including the actual holes. Don't forget to measure UP from the floor if you are using a sunflower heater that attaches to the tank. Melting the canvas really SUCKS. Don't ask me how I know. Then look at what space you have left to fish in. Some one man flip overs don't even have enough head space to make a half assed hook set without hitting the roof and in some cases the front wall as well. Fishing is supposed to be enjoyable. Having your own demolition derby inside a fish house with your equipment every time you hook a fish isn't enjoyable in my book. God help you if you actually hook a trophy walleye or pike and have to get down on your knees to land it. So in conclusion. I would recommend a two man flip over for your own health and safety. Good Luck!!!

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The single would be easier to heat, but you loose the extra room for a heater, extra hole and a path to exit for outside lines. I personally fish in a small two man and I built a wood ramp to slide it into the pickup to safe on my back.

rapala_09

Honored Member
Having your own demolition derby inside a fish house with your equipment every time you hook a fish isn't enjoyable in my book.

;:;rofl
Good points. Man that made me laugh just imagining what would I would look like in this situation.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good question,since the early 90's I had the fish trap,started out with a one man until early snow on early ice that first year,dang one man was a bitch to pull out in several inches of snow a mile or two it would plow the snow not float on top,then following year trap introduced the two man trap,whether alone (most of the time) or with a pard,you'll like the extra room in the two man,(however the two man is much easier to pull iffin your walking) portables are much larger and heavier today than they were years ago...been eye ballin a one man thermal these days,more like 1.5 person portable,somewhat wider than the old day "one man" of the fish trap plus in my old age I use a wheeler early on.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good question,since the early 90's I had the fish trap,started out with a one man until early snow on early ice that first year,dang one man was a bitch to pull out in several inches of snow a mile or two it would plow the snow not float on top,then following year trap introduced the two man trap,whether alone (most of the time) or with a pard,you'll like the extra room in the two man,(however the two man is much easier to pull iffin your walking) portables are much larger and heavier today than they were years ago...been eye ballin a one man thermal these days,more like 1.5 person portable,somewhat wider than the old day "one man" of the fish trap plus in my old age I use a wheeler early on.

Good points regarding the sled size of a two-man. Floats up on top of the snow, rather than plowing. Never thought of that.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Eskimo hub 3-4 person I fish 4 holes by myself or 2 apiece with a buddy I couldn't imagine anything smaller it's not really heavy fits in it's own backpack I pull a sled with gear sets up in a minute with out anchors or about 5 with anchors.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a 1 man and it's slicker than shit in my opinion. Last winter I bought the eskimo wide 1 inferno and couldn't be happier really. I think it has to have the most room for a 1 man after looking at all the other brands. I prefer to fish on a spot alone. I want the fuckers all to me, im greedy. The eskimo wide 1 inferno front part extends width wise to give you more room in there. It sets up in seconds, easy as pie. It weighs just 64 pounds which was another reason i bought it, i have a really bad back. There's plenty of room in there. I get my big buddy, my small frabil bait box, and room for the helix with 2 holes in there. Throw the bucket behind ya in the sled for when ya wack a fish. ez game. As far as warmth, the heater will roast you out and more often than not you will find yourself just shutting the damn thing off its so warm in there. You can find them at runnings from time to time, hard to keep in stock. I drove from surrey down to carrington to get mine, they were only store that had stock at the moment. Here's a link, take a snoop.

https://www.runnings.com/eskimor-wide-1-inferno-full-thermal.html

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a Clam Kenai for several years and I absolutely love it 95% of the time, but I know it's not for everyone. I usually pull it with my SxS that has a plow in the front, and when I get to the spot I'm looking for, I put the plow down move the snow and then park the sled on a cleared spot in one quick moment.

Floor space wise, I have a hole on the left that is closer to me that I use for jigging, and the hole on the right further away from me for dead stick / bobber (but still close enough if I want to Jig with that). I have the flasher dropped in the right hole and I can almost always see both baits, even if I'm pan fishing.
When I have my camera going, I drill a 3rd hole right by my sled in the middle so it's out of the way, rarely get tangled when fighting a fish. With this setup, it's super easy to just walk out through the middle if I need to leave the house through the front door. I usually don't use the door, I just flip back.

I have the smaller Buddy heater in the left corner. I'm often fishing in jeans and a t-shirt.

It pulls just fine behind a 4-wheeler, a SxS and a sled (some people think it pulls real hard with a sled, I don't.....but it sucks pulling by hand). It's honestly not that light where it's super easy to throw in the back of a back of a pickup...and that's the 5% of the time I hate it. I really don't think you save that much in weight or space if you get a two small man. I like the efficiency of the Kenai, and it's 100% based on how I like to fish.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to use flip overs a lot. A small two man would be my pick. If you get one that allows you to add and remove seats you can save a decent amount of weight only bringing one seat when you are solo. I typically fished 3 holes leaving ample room for my heater, minnow cooler and sonar setup.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rarely fish alone, but if I did, would still want the extra room.
I use a side by side, and fill the box of that with most of my gear, get to my spot and pack in only what I am needing on that particular moment.
If I had to pull all my shit to the spot, I would fish rarely.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish alone mostly and still have a 2-man but not the real big 2 man. It's way heavier than I thought, but have a trailer for it now. I'm thinking of building a deck for the sled and taking one seat out of it.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 man Otter Cabin. Remove 1 seat, fish solo in there with 3 holes. If you were fishing 2 people in there it is only roomy enough for 1 hole apiece actually. Fishing partner does same with his Jason Mitchell. Use wheeler ramps if loading it in pickup, but most times pull it up on trailer behind 4 wheeler

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20210220_141801.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20210107_141325.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 6 1/2 X 16 wheel house, a 2-man flip over and a pop-up. Like them all, depending on the day. If I had one it would be the pop-up. It's more spacious than the flipover and I can also spear out of it. I also like the wheel house for the comfort of basically fishing indoors although it's not as easy to move around especially later in the year when the snow usually is deeper. The flipper might be the easiest to move around especially if you can move with a vehicle. I guess I'm also basically somewhat of a lazy fisherman. If Ihave to walk very far pulling a house I either wait for the ice to thicken. Age has done that to me, or at least it's the excuse I use.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say get a smaller 2 man or even a bigger 2 man. I went from a big Clam popup to a one man eskimo inferno. I figured I'd use the pop up when going with a buddy but as I fish by myself in the middle of the week the one man sounded easier to load and faster to setup and get fishing. THe one man fits in the box of my ranger with the tailgate shut so I don't have to drag it behind but when you have all your gear loaded in it, it gets kind of heavy to unload and load by yourself. Its not even really the weight its just an awkward shape to lift. So kind of sucks to take all your stuff out to load it. It does have plenty of room to fish in but I worry about getting my line against the heater at times as I like to jig pretty agressively to lure the fish in.

I don't know if there is a perfect fish house, sometimes I'd like a skid house but then I'd need a bigger trailer, a wheel house would be nice but then I wouldn't move as much, flip overs and popups seem to always need to be brought in to dry out. Guess I need a snowbear.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, you do need a snowbear. But then you'd need a bigger trailer and a heated garage to park it in so the ice would thaw. As sportsmen there is always something we need.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use a Clam Nanook flip over. I took the second seat out to make room for the dogs if they want to warm up. Plenty of room for 3 holes and gear in the 4th spot. After last years thread on the Smitty sled I bought some used skis but haven't made it yet. A used small utility trailer works perfect to haul it and if I pull it by hand I only have to go a couple hundred yds to my perch spots. The new quilted insulation sure beats the old canvas.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulling by hand I disagree that a one man pulls better than a two man. I have had a Clam Pro 1 man and a Clam Guide small 2 person. First, you always have less weight in a 2 man, even by yourself. Put good UHMW runners on (DO NOT BUY THE CLAM RUNNERS) and they both pull alright by hand. But there is no question the one man pulls easier, I have done many many miles with both. That said, I like the space of the 2 man. I would look hard at the newer oversize one man shacks though, they look really nice. My FIL has a Clam Scout and demolition derby is absolutely what you can have in that little thing LOL!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84