Crossbow

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I doubt North Dakota will ever allow crossbow for use with archery tag for everyone, but I'd sure like to try it. I better send a gift card to my Dr and setup a visit....

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I was pretty worried about the whole rope cocking thing the first couple times I'm not going to lie! Felt like I was putting my fingers around a rat trap but they are in fact very simple to load and extra safe. Now its no big deal, just be careful with pac boots loading it and make sure your toe is all the way in the loading hoop. Like Prairieghost I also upgraded to a Hawk scope, pretty darn nice. That and I bought a $20 discharge target bag at scheels. I don't think you can buy a pistol grip for it. But the AR stock in the rear is slick, just puch in the button and it moves back and forth. Oh one last thing I bought was a cradle that mounts on my tripod. I've always wanted one for a rifle but they are $$$. Then Primos came out with this and it works awesome for $30, mounted right on my bogen tripod! :;:cheers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD5I76U/?tag=nodakangler10-20

2018-09-02 09.15.16_reduced.jpg

Can you link to the scope you have too? I am in Bismarck, have you found any store local who knows a lot about them or has a decent selection? Does your setup have swivels for a sling or a tripod?

I really appreciate everyone's input on the this, I really feel lost here. I have heard the barnetts are decent for the price. Has anyone had an limb troubles? I have heard crossbows have a lot more limb issues, and was curious how hunting in the extreme cold would affect that.

Are there any good/discount sites to check out for crossbows?

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
That sniper 370 comes with a sling and yes it has studs for it. It's a quality crossbow, don't let the price fool you.
sht-happens-sometimes-92.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.opticsplanet.com/hawke-1-5-5x32-ir-crossbow-scope-w-illuminated-sr-reticle.html

How is the noise level on that thing? I have been watching youtube videos on ones i am interested in, you can hear a big difference from one to the other.

When I received my paperwork from G and F I thought it said scopes could not exceed 4 power, but when I checked their site I could not see anything regarding that. I guess I should have not thrown away the slip of paper that they sent

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Telescopic sights, range finding devices, battery- powered or electronically lighted sights or other electronic devices attached to the bow, or the arrow, are not permitted (exception: lighted nocks and recording devices which do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow are permitted).

Huntin1

Established Member
Check out a few of the dedicated crossbow sites like Crossbow Nation and ArcheryTalk Crossbow section, you'll learn a lot. The centerpoint sniper is supposed to be a good crossbow. I had thought of getting one until I ran into a smoking deal on a Carbon Express and couldn't pass it up. Still may pick up a sniper to have a backup. If you like Parker, they have several different models that are supposed to be good. I used to have an Excaliber, they are very good bows, but are wide and are a pain to carry and use in a blind. I think the top of the line right now are the Ravins, with the Skorpyd running a close second, but man are they spendy. Everything I've read says stay away from Barnett due to limb issues, but I've never had one so I can't say for sure. In Bismarck they should have a few crossbows at Scheels and Dicks, though I'm not sure how knowledgeable they are about them.

Whichever route you go, I would stay away from "off the rack" arrows. Spine indexed and weight matched are the way to go. Check out Tapp Nation.com and go with the Black Eagles or Spynal Tapps, not cheap but well worth the price. Or if you just can't bring yourself to spend that much I've got 6 brand new Carbon Express Mayhems I'll part with, still in the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Telescopic sights, range finding devices, battery- powered or electronically lighted sights or other electronic devices attached to the bow, or the arrow, are not permitted (exception: lighted nocks and recording devices which do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow are permitted).

Doesn't apply to crossbows in ND. from the deer proc:

Battery-powered andelectronic-lighted sight pins and telescopic sights not exceeding a maximumpower of four by thirty­ two millimeters may be attached to crossbows used forhunting, and f) crossbow hunters must comply with all other archery equipmentregulations listed above.

Last edited:

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
What kind of crossbow does Daryl use on the walking dead that's the one I want to use.

I dont want his bow, that thing never puts an arrow all the way through. I would like his arrows though, those things never break!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
scopes are allow on crossbows (one time power limit but not sure now, same as muzzle loaders) and my scope has lighted dots in it that are also allow (lighted dots do help for me when I have put the scope on a deer over dots that are not lighted, red is better than the green).

Yes I to wish I could shoot my Mathew again versus my crossbow and if I did the workout with my arm during the year I believe I could get there again. But old and not focus on this, so it is up to me if I want to shoot the Mathews again.
However my Mathews has sat on the wall for the last five years and it appears my crossbow will do the same. To many deer friends with names that I enjoy the visits with.
But if I am not going to do the workout my shot will be much more ethic with the crossbow. I have never loss a bow kill (but has taken some time to find with one) and with this cross bow I can put arrows inside a quarter at 20 yards (hopefully the same on a deer if I ever shoot again and the shot is in the kill area). My Mathews was more like arrows in the size of a softball with 1 of 6 outside of that and that was not the bows fault.
Of my five bow kills over the last twenty years I got lucky to hit a vein or artery on a couple as I sure did not hit the lung or heart that I was aiming at. db

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a ten point stealth fx4, got it at scheels a few years ago, yes it is a pain to carry but it is a shooting machine.

campchef

Honored Member
Sand bagging before the 2011 flood wore out my shoulders. As a result I couldn't draw a bow or shoulder a shot gun. Surgery fixed the problem but I opted to go with a cross bow. I have taken 2 deer in the last 5 years. I can offer 2 helpful tips that I learned the hard way. 1- use a scent free rail lubricant. I have found American Gun Oil performs well in both hot and cold weather.
2- your broad head needs to be at least 25 grams heavier than what you would normally shoot with your bow. The 100 gram slick tricks I used with my compound would not pattern with the cross bow. I went with a Grizzly 125 and that made all the difference.
Now, if someone wants a good but old Martin (starter bow) complete with arrows, release, whisker biscuit and soft case for $100 let me know.

Huntin1

Established Member
your broad head needs to be at least 25 grams heavier than what you would normally shoot with your bow. The 100 gram slick tricks I used with my compound would not pattern with the cross bow. I went with a Grizzly 125 and that made all the difference.

Well, kinda. Many guys myself included are shooting 100 grain heads just as they did with a vertical bow. In order to get the FOC required in a crossbow arrow you need to use a heavier insert, or as you do, a heavier broadhead. Either option will work. I use the same 100 grain Thunderheads that I used with my compound, but instead of the standard aluminum insert I use a heavier brass insert. It's a matter of finding what works. Switching broadheads is the easiest, but playing with the weight of the insert is cheaper, though more time consuming. Since I still have about 4 dozen 100 grain Thunderheads I decided heavier inserts was the way to go, for me at least.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsmanoutdoorsuperstore.com has some pretty good deals going and can do a comparison of many different brands.

BKE0946

I just got a Tenpoint Turbo setup for about $1100. I hunt in Illinois in fall where they just allowed crossbow or compound. The crossbow is deadly accurate shooting from a blind off of shooting sticks or a rest. Mine seems to make quite a bit of noise when shooting it but so fast the arrow hits before they can react at 40 yards. I also wish ND would allow this as a choice to archery hunters. I think it would get more and keep more people hunting longer.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Is anyone out there shooting with an optimizer on their setup? Seems like a nice way to take more accurate shots, similar to a turret scope for the rifle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOXLB2/?tag=nodakangler10-20

I plan on using Thunderheads in mine. I have been using them for 20 years and haven't had any issues with them, plus I am cheap!

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Is anyone out there shooting the Excalibur? The more research I do the more I am leaning in this direction. Seems tried to and true and has all the speed and bells the other bows do.

I looked into Ravin, man those things feel nice, but I was turned off by a few features. One of the big ones is you have to use their arrows. I know its a small thing but I dont want to have order $10 arrows way ahead of the hunt.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last year was my first using a crossbow. A buddy of mine loaned me his Barnett Ghost 410 for an elk hunt. It performed perfectly and I liked it so well I bought myself one for Christmas. One thing I learned is buy a crossbow rated target. I bought what I thought was a good one and inside of a week I was shooting right through it. I now have a better (and more expensive) one.

I use Carbon Express bolts and Rage 125 grain hypodermic crossbow broadheads. My shoulders are so bad I can barely use a rope cocker so I got a crank and that sure makes it a lot easier for me. I do have the rope cocker in my backpack "just in case" though.

I'm going to be using it for deer and javelina this month.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard good things about those Barnetts too. Just didnt like how they felt the few I pulled up. Not much of a selection around here to get a good feel for the brand.

I really like all the features of the new Excaliburs, especially the cranking system. I just dont like the price tag, but maybe it would be worth it with the warranty and the fact that I plan to have the bow for a really long time. Most bows have a 5 year warranty from what I have seen, well excalibur has a lifetime.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/assassin/

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
What didn't you like about the Barnetts?

Just overall how they felt, I have pulled up a few where I have immediately said nope, this one isnt right for me. Also have heard people talking about limb issues with the Barnetts, and online reviews of them didnt seem the best.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 183
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84