Crossbow

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What didn't you like about the Barnetts?

Just overall how they felt, I have pulled up a few where I have immediately said nope, this one isnt right for me. Also have heard people talking about limb issues with the Barnetts, and online reviews of them didnt seem the best.

Thanks!

All I know was it worked and felt fine to me and it let me harvest a nice little bull last fall. When I had the chance to buy one at a good price I went with it.

As I get more experience and shoot other crossbows I may change my mind and buy something else.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well this guy didn't like my cheap sniper 370, zipped right through him. Hit exactly where I put it in the pocket, -45 wind chill that evening.

IMG_20180116_225905.jpg

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Well this guy didn't like my cheap sniper 370, zipped right through him. Hit exactly where I put it in the pocket, -45 wind chill that evening.

Olga-Kent-bikini-photos--2014-in-Miami--03-560x840.jpg

Nice work 5575! I actually have nothing against that bow you suggested, it has solid reviews. Honestly it is between that one and an Excalibur. That sniper has a ton of really good reviews, I think its cheap price points allows more people to purchase and review. Its reviews are way better then the Barnetts. For me its either purchase the sniper and shoot it for 3-5 years or purchase the Excalibur and shot it for 20-25 years. I really need to go to some bow shops and shoot some of these different models. Runnings in Bismarck does not yet have the Excaliburs, who knows I might hate them when i shoulder them!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya glass, decisions decisions! I'm really happy with the sniper, I shot a couple others now and I don't regret my purchase in the least. Actually quite the opposite!

I have it setup pretty good now. Rattled a little by the stock adjustment lever so I put tape on it.
41939060_1987375124634674_1431317784335220736_n (1).jpg

Huntin1

Established Member
The Excaliburs are really nice bows, I had an exomag a few years ago. They are simple, straightforward, accurate bows and have the really nice feature of not needing a bow press to change the string, something that you will need to do more often on a crossbow than a vertical bow. The only issue I had with them is that mine was so stinking wide, it required a lot of room to maneuver it. I understand that they are narrower now.

I came very close to buying a Sniper 370 in Dec. but Dunhams had such a good sale on the Carbon Express Advantex that I couldn't pass it up. It's not as fast a the 370, but I'm pretty sure 325 fps will get the job done.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea that Raven is 10.5" uncocked axle to axle and only 6 inches when cocked, nuts!

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
The Excaliburs are really nice bows, I had an exomag a few years ago. They are simple, straightforward, accurate bows and have the really nice feature of not needing a bow press to change the string, something that you will need to do more often on a crossbow than a vertical bow. The only issue I had with them is that mine was so stinking wide, it required a lot of room to maneuver it. I understand that they are narrower now.
I came very close to buying a Sniper 370 in Dec. but Dunhams had such a good sale on the Carbon Express Advantex that I couldn't pass it up. It's not as fast a the 370, but I'm pretty sure 325 fps will get the job done.

Glad you liked it, by the sounds of it you no longer have it? The new one I am looking at is 21 inches cocked. No where near the Ravin but still manageable I would think. I guess Runnings in Bismarck is going to be getting in some Excalibur's soon so I will get to shoot the Ravin and Excalibur and see how they feel. Really they only negative I see on the Ravin is having to use THEIR arrows and knock.

Huntin1

Established Member
I sold the Excalibur a couple of years ago when I tried to make the switch back to vertical bows, didn't really work out, I just ended up aggravating my shoulder injury so I'm back to using a crossbow.

The Ravins are nice, and expensive. You have to use their nock, but you don't have to use their arrow, you just void their warranty if you use anything else.

On the subject of arrows, keep in mind that crossbow arrows are measured differently than arrows for vertical bows. Those are measured from the insert to where the nock meets the string, crossbow arrows do not include the insert or any portion of the nock in their measurement. It's a small difference and with most crossbows it won't matter, but with some of the new crossbows out there it does. For example, the arrows I just got from Tapp-Nation are 20" but only if you measure the shaft. Add the nock and the insert and they are 20.5", if they were measured like vertical arrows they would be a half inch too short, not critical on my crossbow, but on some the arrow won't fit in the rail with a broadhead attached. Arrows from Tapp-Nation are more expensive, but they are also better than pre made factory arrows. It probably won't matter if you only shoot to 30 yards or so, but some of us like to play. I may never shoot a deer at 100 yards, but targets, most definitely and to be consistent that far away you need good arrows.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Thats too bad Huntin, it is my dream to be able to use my vertical bow again, time will tell. I talked to Ravin rep a week or so ago, hell of a nice guy, but he said I had to use their arrows. He didnt tell me about it voiding their warranty to use others, simply said you couldnt. I have taken deer with my vertical out to 65 yards with no issues. I am not sure I would take deer that far with a crossbow yet or not, it would all depend on practice, confidence, and everything coming together in the field. I would like to target shoot out to 100 yards, just for the fun of it.

Thanks for the info on the arrows, all info on these things is appreciated. This whole new world is a little overwhelming to me.

How often do you end up changing strings on these things? I have heard anywhere from every 200 shots to every 4 or 5 years.

How hard is using a cocking rope on those cam and Excalibur bows if a guy is short and has 2 bad shoulders? I am 5 3 and fear that while cocking the bow I might run out of power. That is another reason I was looking at one with built in cocker/de-cocker

Huntin1

Established Member
How often you change strings depends on how much you shoot and how well you lube the string and rail. With the Excalibur I lubed the string and rail after 5-6 shots, the string would last about 250-300 shots. I'm not sure how long the string will last on the newer compounds, haven't had mine long enough to figure that out yet.

I didn't find using a rope cocker all that difficult, but then I'm 5'11" and only have one bad shoulder, I would lock my arms and use my back through most of the cocking stroke. You could try a rope cocker, but in your case I'd recommend a crank.

Huntin1

Established Member
Should be a good bow and that's a good price. The scopes that come on these packages are often not very good. Check it first, but I would consider upgrading the scope. The Hawkes previously mentioned are really nice, prairieghost has the XB30, I picked up a Trophy Ridge XV530IR that is almost identical and is made by Hawke, though it is considerably cheaper. I paid $150 for mine, but I've since seen them on eBay for $116.

And don't forget good arrows. Check out Tapp Nation, if you call and talk to Jerry he will make sure that you get the proper arrow for your bow. They are a bit more expensive, but well worth it IMHO. I'm shooting his Spynal Tapp custom arrow with a 92 gr double tap insert, they run about $12 per arrow.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I have a ten point with crank Cocker and a rope Cocker. Because of my titanium and plastic back I,can’t pull a bow anymore, but I absolutely hate the crossbow except maybe for sitting in a deer stand. At least it get me out there, but for spot and stank,crossbows are big and clunky and awkward and catch on every twig our branch, ate heavy, etc.
The bow people complain about crossbows being too easy to use out of the box and they are absolutely correct!!! I’ve never even adjusted the sights on mine, and it will shoot 1 inch groups out to at least 30-40 yards, the farthest I fell one shoot shoot. I hate wounding anything!
I almost vomit when I read about using crossbows to nail deer at 100 - 200 yards, etc. I’m afraid crossbow hunting will go down the same tube as muzzleloading hunting. If the G and F or regular blwhunting people want to level the playing field I’d recommend outlawing ALL glass and electronic sights on crossbows (like Colorado) and allowing only mechanical sights like the average bowsight has. Two falls ago I tried to find a mechanical sight to use in COLO and thought I could throw that stupid aim point sight in the garbage but finally found one after the season ended.
Crossbows are fine for the truly disabled or old and infirm, but I can predict nothing but pictures of 100 hard shot deer coming up. Might be progress, but let’s not make things,too,easy. And yes, I’m an old fashioned idiot. Make it too easy to get a crossbow permit and you make as well make them legal anytime, anywhere and ruin bowhinting forever! Like muzzyhinting! LOL

Last edited:

Huntin1

Established Member
"Crossbows are going to ruin bow hunting" That is the same tired argument that longbow and recurve shooters were using back in the 60's and 70's about compounds. It wasn't true then and it ain't true now. I honestly believe that people who come up with this argument are just selfish, they don't want more people out there in the bow season because someone with that evil crossbow may kill the buck that they want to kill.

Read this: https://www.bowhunting.com/bowhunt101/crossbow-vs-vertical-bow/

In every state the number of hunters is declining, how about we encourage people to join us in the field rather than discourage them because they want to use a crossbow. I say stop with the sky is falling attitude, make them legal in the regular bow season and get new people out there to enjoy the experience.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Hope you are right huntin1. I just hate to see outdoor pursuits get too easy in order to increase numbers. I could care less how many archers and hunters there are out there. I’ve killed my share of stuff in the past and am the last guy in ND to be accused of being a game or tag hog.
It’s not the difficulty of the hunt that keeps younger kids from joining our ranks, IMO! It’s habitat and accessibility and the current computers, games, cell phones, stuff like that. Other interests. In fact, one could argue that 5he easier we make hunting and fishing the FEWER recruits we get! A dumb argument certainly, but so is making things easier increasing our numbers srgument! Absolutely no cause and effect correlation either way! I love to see new hunters and Fisher people and I’ve lifelong tried to encourage young entrants into our ranks, mentoring 5hem teaching hunter ed,etc. Nope the sky is not falling...yet!
Im just old fashioned and hate to see things too easy — ads talking about 2 inch groups at 109 yards, arrows routine at 150, etc. Not my cup of tea or cup of easy blood, that’s all.....
what’s next, a crossbow powered by a CO2 cartridge, rapid fire a half dozen shots! You can bet your butt that as soon as something like this is invented the company pushing it will be wineing and dining our legislators to order the G&F to OK them! They are as bad as drug company lobbyists, or oill company intellectual prostitutes! And sadly I’d bet that few Sportsmen will go testify to object, too! When that happens I’ll hang up my outdoor stuff and join the anti Hunters!
Just spent an hour looking and handling various new crossbows in Cabelas, listening to salesmen selling me on out of 5he box accuracy, no skill or tweaking required, blah blah......nice crossbows but starting to feel that sportsmen will sooner or later draw a line, or someone else will. And that scares the buckshit out of me. Hopefully I’ll be fertilizing food plots from BELOW the ground before that happens.

Huntin1

Established Member
The salesmen at Cabelas have one job, sell you stuff so that they make commission. Over the years I've found that in most cases they know next to nothing about the product they are selling, and in some cases are downright dishonest in an attempt to get you to buy. A crossbow is most definitely easier to shoot well, but no skill or tweaking required is just not true. Any weapon is going to take some skill to use, and decidedly more skill to master. It is not easier to take a deer with a crossbow than it is with a vertical bow, in fact I found just the opposite. Buying a crossbow does not turn someone into an instant deer killer, you still need skill to get close enough to the animal and then pull off a killing shot. You still need to know how to read the wind, how to move, or be still, how to do all the other little things that go into taking a deer with archery equipment. Crossbows are not new, they've been around for centuries, but like anything else have benefited from modern materials. The are most definitely archery equipment and have just as much right to be used during the archery season as a compound bow.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crossbows are accurate, but they are heavy, clumsy, and in general a pain in the rear. Everyone I know miss their compound or traditional bows, me included. The doctor told me with a torn rotator cuff no more bow. He also said that at my age recovery would take a chunk out of my life so he recommended cortisone and physical therapy. No lifting anything higher than my shoulder.

Huntin1

Established Member
Taking a deer a 100+ yards with a crossbow is not something that I would try. Shooting targets at 100 would be fun. Right now I'm confident out to 50 yards, which incidentally was my max range with a compound. Over the years I've taken many deer with a compound bow. After my shoulder surgery I hunted with a crossbow for 5 years before I tried a compound again. During that time I took one deer with my crossbow.

I shot this buck at about 12 feet, yes I said feet.

image.jpg

The bow was an Excalibur Exomag

I wish I could still hunt with a vertical bow, but my shoulder says otherwise.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Crossbows are accurate, but they are heavy, clumsy, and in general a pain in the rear. Everyone I know miss their compound or traditional bows, me included. The doctor told me with a torn rotator cuff no more bow. He also said that at my age recovery would take a chunk out of my life so he recommended cortisone and physical therapy. No lifting anything higher than my shoulder.

Bruce, (and other lifting disabled guys) with your torn rotator cuff, your doc told you not to lift any heavy things any more! With my titanium and plastic back they told me the same thing. Did your doctors like mine, then send you to a Urologist to have that heavy object trimmed back a bit? LOL

Huntin1

Established Member
Bruce, (and other lifting disabled guys) with your torn rotator cuff, your doc told you not to lift any heavy things any more! With my titanium and plastic back they told me the same thing. Did your doctors like mine, then send you to a Urologist to have that heavy object trimmed back a bit? LOL

Mine said not to lift anything heavy with my right arm, so I now use my left arm for that. Didn't want that particular heavy object trimmed. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84