Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,028
      Given: 581
      shorthair:
      Well there were over 20 different employers in that time, four different small towns, a bunch of bars and two different states but mostly in one field. I believe the longest was maybe 12 years at one company. It seems I got lucky and the company I was working for sold on a number of occasions with the new boss telling me it will change and I have nothing to add about decision making going forward as they will now make the decision at their headquarters. But I can say I chopped ice off the Red River for the rail cars and took copper off the telegraph lines next to the RR tracks.

Yes em boss man, you betch you, Met a lot of people and friends over that time. Moving does wonders for one's financial picture. db

2 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #22
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 217
      Given: 38
      Classifieds
      This post brings up the thinking of if I will ever have enough to retire. The wife and I both have good jobs and we set ourselves up to pay things off early and do have retirement but always wonder if it will be enough. But the last few years we both agree we should live now because who knows if and how we will be at a later age. I watched my father pass away shortly after being able to retire and that has changed my whole mentality. Dammit I am gonna live and do the shit I wanna do now and hopefully I will be able to retire when the time comes! Can't take the money with me and damned if I'm gonna just give it away!

2 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #23
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 416
      Given: 719
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
      Glad to know Im not the only one for whom they dont make condoms large enough...
      What are condoms?

2 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #24
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 5,846
      Given: 2,617
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by Wags2.0 View Post
      At first glance I thought this said “I’m done with the wife” and got pretty excited for a classic thread. Anywho, carry on. Enjoy retirement!

It could have blown the doors off “wifes” otherwise known as garage beer.

2 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #25
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10
      Given: 14
      congrats on the purchase nice to see things come home. Good luck in all things in retirement. I'm looking to pull the plug next January if I can make it that long. Its hard walking away from your work family. but its the next chapter I cant wait to start....Good Luck

1 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #26
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,659
      Given: 5,627
      Classifieds
      I cringe that i thought the thread would be about an evil female, misery loves company I guess...

1 Not allowed!
      I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.... and I'm all out of bubble gum. RIP Rowdy

7. Back To Top    #27
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 468
      Given: 465
      Quote Originally Posted by WormWiggler View Post
      I cringe that i thought the thread would be about an evil female, misery loves company I guess...
      I say this about my sister in-law all the time.

1 Not allowed!
      “People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      Theodore Roosevelt

8. Back To Top    #28
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 8,302
      Given: 6,982
      Classifieds
      Good luck DB

i punched out 4 kids, and would have had more if I was a wealthier man. My favorite is the older kids coming home and drinking an ice cold Busch light with me and telling stories of the crap we did for fun when they were young. A full house at Christmas time is pretty precious too.
      I don’t really look forward to retirement, I feel like I will get bored

2 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #29
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting

Mood:
      Drunk

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 6,663
      Given: 2,272
      Classifieds
      i hear people say that all the time that they will get bored. I wont have that problem

3 Not allowed!
      Snagzilla will always be #1

10. Back To Top    #30
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Will one have enough and then getting there one may die before one can enjoy?
      Worried about that a lot too Wrkn.

Bulk of our savings came by ourselves and not from a 401 by the boss. Moved to much to get invested.
      Bulk of it came the last seven years when I started drawing SS, still working (at that time I began putting 6,000 away each month) kids gone, paying off debt, ect.
      I feel I die the day I have to go to the nursing home so the goals for us is to do whatever to stay out and have found old mill will do that. Want to die at home and as long as the wife lives she can do that for me.

It's a balance and yes one needs to enjoy today but needs to make sure there is something when the work stops so your are able to quit early and have funds to work with. I had to work until I was 72 to get there. But 102 is still a ways away.
      I have found no matter how much one has it will never be enough unless one understands what life is. db

2 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #31
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,165
      Given: 837
      Not bored yet. This February came close but didn't beat me. I planned financially and will make it quite awhile, but if we do things right, the check we write to the funeral home should bounce.

6 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #32
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 469
      Given: 1,627
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by fj40 View Post
      Not bored yet. This February came close but didn't beat me. I planned financially and will make it quite awhile, but if we do things right, the check we write to the funeral home should bounce.
      Impossible to be the richest man in the grave yard but some keep trying

1 Not allowed!
      Every year has two seasons hunting season and fishing season

13. Back To Top    #33
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,995
      Given: 1,403
      Congratulations!!! I hope to someday retire.

1 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #34
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,319
      Given: 2,344
      Classifieds
      ​All the best to the both of you! Savoir the remaining time by keeping busy even it is menial tasks. ie I sorted and cleaned all my tools yesterday LOL.

2 Not allowed!
      "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Porky Pine 12/25/1973

15. Back To Top    #35
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,125
      Given: 2,437
      Congrats on retirement db-2. For those that think they will get bored your in for a surprise. I can't find time to do all the things I want to. People that aren't retired think I have so much time. There is about six or seven different groups like church for example that think you should volunteer half your life for them. It would take six people to fill all the volunteer requests. With knees so bad you can't walk they still want you to do all kinds of things for them.

One ironic thing that has happened to us is we purchased a 37ft 5th wheel to spend time down south. Then a few years ago we bought a small 21ft travel trailer to go to Alaska. The oldest son was very sick for two years before he passed away so that never happened, but that little camper is so handy we use it more than the large one. It's been down to Utah, Nevada, Idaho and a half dozen other states.

I'm looking forward to two new knees in two weeks. In my dreams I'm hiking the badlands again. In my dreams I'm carrying a 50lb backpack again. The next toy on the list is a drone with a quality camera. Then it's hook up that small camper and photograph all the waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge. Wolf hunt Montana next fall if the knees work. This is year 12 into retirement.

2 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #36
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      PG
      I knew from you your son was hurting but did not know he passed away. Sorry for that. My son hurts too but still alive, we both worry every day of that day that may come. I hope we are gone before he is and will wait in heaven for him.

And we did park our 5th wheel in a permanent spot and our now looking for a small camper, may need to be a single axle in order for my Goldwing with training wheels to pull. Take care.
      Zogman:
      Cleaning my shop and tools is on the bucket list and not that I have that many tools but not one is where it should be so that may take two days if not a week depending on many things. db

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #37
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,125
      Given: 2,437
      Quote Originally Posted by db-2 View Post
      PG
      I knew from you your son was hurting but did not know he passed away. Sorry for that. My son hurts too but still alive, we both worry every day of that day that may come. I hope we are gone before he is and will wait in heaven for him.

And we did park our 5th wheel in a permanent spot and our now looking for a small camper, may need to be a single axle in order for my Goldwing with training wheels to pull. Take care.
      Zogman:
      Cleaning my shop and tools is on the bucket list and not that I have that many tools but not one is where it should be so that may take two days if not a week depending on many things. db
      Well that's one thing that lets us Christians suffer less. My son was a believer so I am sure I will see him again. All that is required of me is patience. One of the reasons I need good knees again is to make sure my grandson gets to do the things his dad would have had him do.
      It's interesting your looking for that type of camper. We were headed to Fargo to watch our grand-daughter in skating competition and buy a single axle camper. On our way into town my wife says we have never checked out that camper sales (Adventure Land). We pulled in and they had a used camper that you would think no one had ever used. It had been owned by a local banker. Instead of the little refrigerator it had full size. Instead of the little wall airconditioner it had the roof mount. It also had tandem axle torsion suspension, and the banker had a custom hitch to haul his Harley. Now were looking for a 24 ft because we want a sofa.

I have been so busy I have not cleaned my shop for three years. If you get to bored Zogman I have a week long project.

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12