User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 33

    Thread: opti-max oil

    1. Back To Top    #1
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Location
      panhandle Ne
      Posts
      46
      NDA Points
      2,198
      NDA Level
      19
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 23
      Given: 166

      opti-max oil

      have a 250 pro xs 2 stroke and am wondering if anyone has tried Lucas oil in their motor and what they use? we have to get the oil at bass pro-cabelas, a hour trip one way, and the price keeps going up on it. can get the lucas oil in town from parts dealer . thanks

      0 Not allowed!

    2. Back To Top    #2
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Down by the river
      Posts
      515
      NDA Points
      26,921
      NDA Level
      71
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 505
      Given: 549
      Quick silver from Walmart is what I always run never had issues I run it in every 2 stroke I own ( auger ,weed eater, chainsaw) never any probs

      0 Not allowed!
      Nothing beats a classic!!

    3. Back To Top    #3
      Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Posts
      5
      NDA Points
      6,491
      NDA Level
      34
      Report Entries
      9
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 24
      Given: 10
      I would be very careful about running any oil in an optimax other than optimax oil. The optimax oil is made specifically for optimaxes and contains "stuff" other 2 stroke oils do not. Heard too many horror stories of people blowing motors because they didnt want to spend the extra $ on optimax oil.

      4 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #4
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      4,325
      NDA Points
      58,834
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 5,794
      Given: 292
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by cooter00 View Post
      Quick silver from Walmart is what I always run never had issues I run it in every 2 stroke I own ( auger ,weed eater, chainsaw) never any probs
      Big difference between a standard 2-stroke and one of the high-pressure direct injected 2-strokes from Merc (OptiMax), Yamaha (HPDI), or Evinrude (FICHT/E-TECH).

      0 Not allowed!
      This has been like listening to Nancy Pelosi argue with Ozzy Osborne.

    5. Back To Top    #5
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Down by the river
      Posts
      515
      NDA Points
      26,921
      NDA Level
      71
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 505
      Given: 549
      Mine was 06 optimax

      0 Not allowed!
      Nothing beats a classic!!

    6. Back To Top    #6
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      373
      NDA Points
      7,732
      NDA Level
      37
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 421
      Given: 193
      Quicksliver also has a DFI oil, it isn't any cheaper than the black bottled mercury DFI oil, comes down to more what you can find. They say you can use any TCW3 oil in a pinch however I personally wouldn't use anything but the Mercury or QuickSilver DFI oil in an Opti. After owning 2 trouble free Opti's I can say with out a doubt the mercury DFI oil pours like water and has a different color and smell than any other oil I've used in any of my 2 stroke powersports engines. for the few bucks of savings, kind seems like a gamble. if you can't find it locally, just go online and order it. Heck you can even get 2.5 gallon jugs of it if you look around.

      0 Not allowed!

    7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Early Ice Is Nice!
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Captain Ahab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Timbuktu
      Posts
      4,648
      NDA Points
      154,510
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,421
      Given: 3,360
      Classifieds
      1
      Get some extra when you make your trip for Opti oil. I wouldn’t gamble on a $20k motor. Like said above DFI oil is DIFFERENT from regular 2-stroke oil.

      - - - Updated - - -

      Also, each manufacturer varies in the way DFI is done so DFI oil can be engine specific.

      2 Not allowed!

    8. Back To Top    #8
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      eyexer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      williston
      Posts
      5,571
      NDA Points
      41,566
      NDA Level
      89
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,468
      Given: 3,206
      I believe the non opti specific (or dfi) oil is much lighter in viscosity and won’t inject into intake plenum like the opti oil does so I’d be a little Leary of it.

      0 Not allowed!

    9. Back To Top    #9
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      MuskyManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Grand Forks, ND
      Posts
      1,489
      NDA Points
      269,485
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,225
      Given: 1,057
      My motor says Optimax on it, and I'm never putting anything in it other than Optimax oil.

      2 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #10
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Meh
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Minot, ND
      Posts
      866
      NDA Points
      64,720
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,033
      Given: 1,109
      Classifieds
      1
      Optimax oil for optimax motor. Oil is expensive, but better fuel economy (compared to 4-stroke) makes up for it. But then not adding oil to a 4 stroke probably makes it a wash.

      0 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Auggie; 04-25-2019 at 03:11 PM.

    11. Back To Top    #11
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Devils Lake
      Posts
      132
      NDA Points
      9,034
      NDA Level
      40
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 134
      Given: 87
      Try DOMO On Line..... (DOMO = Direct Outboard Motor Oil) I've ordered from them numerous time. Genuine Mercury or Yamaha oil at discounted prices. If you can find a couple buddies to go in on it with you and share shipping costs it works out even better.

      https://domo-online.com/

      2 Not allowed!

    12. Back To Top    #12
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Location
      panhandle Ne
      Posts
      46
      NDA Points
      2,198
      NDA Level
      19
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 23
      Given: 166
      Thanks to all, just made the trip to get opti-max oil picked up 3 to save trips , will just buy whenever get around mercury dealer.

      0 Not allowed!

    13. Back To Top    #13
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      espringers's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Devils Lake
      Posts
      3,162
      NDA Points
      30,093
      NDA Level
      76
      Report Entries
      5
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,827
      Given: 1,625
      Classifieds
      1
      Yamalube from Blake's marine. Nuff said.

      0 Not allowed!

    14. Back To Top    #14
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Early Ice Is Nice!
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Captain Ahab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Timbuktu
      Posts
      4,648
      NDA Points
      154,510
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,421
      Given: 3,360
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
      Try DOMO On Line..... (DOMO = Direct Outboard Motor Oil) I've ordered from them numerous time. Genuine Mercury or Yamaha oil at discounted prices. If you can find a couple buddies to go in on it with you and share shipping costs it works out even better.

      https://domo-online.com/

      Big 4 stroke oil changes aren’t free either. If an Opti was as quiet as a Verado, it would be an easy choice.

      1 Not allowed!

    15. Back To Top    #15
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      shorthairsrus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      3,350
      NDA Points
      146,779
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      14
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,932
      Given: 657
      its cheaper then xd100

      0 Not allowed!

    16. Back To Top    #16
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      5575's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      1,579
      NDA Points
      337,055
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      8
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,513
      Given: 2,334
      Classifieds
      1
      I've had about 8 dfi outboards, some i put almost 20 gallons of oil in a summer.
      They all got super tech from walmart, never had a single motor issue.
      Hell go on outboard motor forms, I've seen guys go up to 3,000 hours on an optimax running nothing but supertech. I have a buddy that has 1500 on his 225 opti all on super tech. Probably more super tech outboard oil sold than any other oil, if it blew up motors there would be a class action lawsuit like no other.
      This coming from a guy that used to blend oils for a living.
      But buy whatever makes you feel good, as long as it meets the standard your good to go.

      0 Not allowed!

    17. Back To Top    #17
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      WT2121's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      102
      NDA Points
      8,838
      NDA Level
      40
      Report Entries
      5
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 72
      Given: 174
      How much is freight?

      0 Not allowed!
      Warrior
      WT2121
      225 Optimax

    18. Back To Top    #18
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      34
      NDA Points
      6,780
      NDA Level
      35
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 38
      Given: 66
      I’ve been running aimsoil in my 07 175 optimax sinceI bought it in 2007. Still purrs like a kitty. Cold this am. Real nice this afternoon and the eyes are biting!!

      1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Myk Lund; 10-21-2020 at 08:41 PM.

    19. Back To Top    #19
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Allen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Lincoln, kinda...
      Posts
      3,379
      NDA Points
      54,692
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      8
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,094
      Given: 1,583
      Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
      Optimax oil for optimax motor. Oil is expensive, but better fuel economy (compared to 4-stroke) makes up for it. But then not adding oil to a 4 stroke probably makes it a wash.

      I'n not sure about that. I have about $65 into an oil change on my Merc 150 4S every 100 hours, or end of season even if I don't have 100 hrs on it. Do the modern 2-Strokes use that much oil in 100 hrs of general operation?

      - - - Updated - - -

      One thing I will add to this topic is this: A few years ago I had a Merc 150 4S blow a walnut sized hole in the block with just a few weeks left on factory warranty. Mercury took fuel and oil samples to make sure it was going to be covered under warranty. While I do NOT know what they were looking for in their samples, I do know I was running Merc 4S motor oil, and they never blinked an eye at replacing a roughly $9600 powerhead through my local dealer.

      Now, if'n I had been running some other brand of motor oil, who knows what the warranty experience would have been like. I do know I was sitting on pins and needles awaiting Merc's determination on if they were going to honor their warranty.

      In a nutshell, if the motor is under warranty, do you really want to risk voiding the warranty by running something that isn't technically their brand, even if you have had great experiences with a particular brand in the past? That bill for a new powerhead would have sucked on a brand new to me rig, I think I had put around 30-40 hrs on it in those short few weeks I had it before the motor went kapow.

      1 Not allowed!
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

    20. Back To Top    #20
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Meh
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Minot, ND
      Posts
      866
      NDA Points
      64,720
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,033
      Given: 1,109
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
      I'n not sure about that. I have about $65 into an oil change on my Merc 150 4S every 100 hours, or end of season even if I don't have 100 hrs on it. Do the modern 2-Strokes use that much oil in 100 hrs of general operation?

      - - - Updated - - -

      One thing I will add to this topic is this: A few years ago I had a Merc 150 4S blow a walnut sized hole in the block with just a few weeks left on factory warranty. Mercury took fuel and oil samples to make sure it was going to be covered under warranty. While I do NOT know what they were looking for in their samples, I do know I was running Merc 4S motor oil, and they never blinked an eye at replacing a roughly $9600 powerhead through my local dealer.

      Now, if'n I had been running some other brand of motor oil, who knows what the warranty experience would have been like. I do know I was sitting on pins and needles awaiting Merc's determination on if they were going to honor their warranty.

      In a nutshell, if the motor is under warranty, do you really want to risk voiding the warranty by running something that isn't technically their brand, even if you have had great experiences with a particular brand in the past? That bill for a new powerhead would have sucked on a brand new to me rig, I think I had put around 30-40 hrs on it in those short few weeks I had it before the motor went kapow.

      I burn maybe a quart of oil on a weekend.

      0 Not allowed!

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube