Need a different pack

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still not sure how I drew a badlands tag but I'll take it. My badlands superday will not cut it if I have to pack anything out.

What does everyone have for a top 3 list?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a Eberlestock Blue Widow, it's not exactly light coming in at around 9 pounds empty. However it will serve the purpose and it's yours to use if you wish. Save your $$ for diapers.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kifaru, stone glacier, seek out side, and mystery ranch. I am a Kifaru guy for life. Customer service is amazing. They are expensive 100% made in America and super durable. I come to Bismarck often you want to check it out let me know

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have a game cart you can borrow. You may get lucky and be able to cart that big buck out.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good packs these days. Some require a left nut donation for upon purchase. Signed with blood. I'm an eberlestock guy. Blue Widow as well, but the dragonfly is nice as well. The reason I have stuck with eberlestock despite the weight is that they are indestructible. I think you could pack out a hippo, if needed and they will not bust a seam, or pop a zipper, regardless of temperature. And they are quiet.

Some people also complain about lack of functioning load lifters. All I know is that i've packed out half an elk at once, many times and have never had a failure on any eberlestock pack.

I'm sure the other spoken too here are great as well. It all comes down to fit and function. I would recommend wearing the thing loaded with bricks as much as possible over the summer to break in your shoulders, back, and legs.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I wanted to try a kifaru or stone glacier but was too cheap and found a mystery ranch metcalf for almost half the price. I like it, works well for me and is far more comfortable than my badlands 2800.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt probably hit on majority of the top ones. I have a kifaru. Had a badlands 2200 and 4500 before that and they don't really compare to the kifaru and the price of them reflect that so don't really feel the need to get into a detailed comparison.

Have some friends with different Mystery Ranch packs and they seem well made (haven't personally used) and will be a lower tier on the cost standpoint compared to the Kifaru's and Stone Glaciers.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have a game cart you can borrow. You may get lucky and be able to cart that big buck out.
I’m starting to regret straying from my trusty whitetail hunting. You were never too far from an established trail.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently got a aplz hybrid x that I like so far. It's my first frame pack so my experience is limited but I like how you can expand the day-pqck part of it and between the frame and pack there is a pretty substantial sized meat shelf

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good packs these days. Some require a left nut donation for upon purchase. Signed with blood. I'm an eberlestock guy. Blue Widow as well, but the dragonfly is nice as well. The reason I have stuck with eberlestock despite the weight is that they are indestructible. I think you could pack out a hippo, if needed and they will not bust a seam, or pop a zipper, regardless of temperature. And they are quiet.

Some people also complain about lack of functioning load lifters. All I know is that i've packed out half an elk at once, many times and have never had a failure on any eberlestock pack.

I'm sure the other spoken too here are great as well. It all comes down to fit and function. I would recommend wearing the thing loaded with bricks as much as possible over the summer to break in your shoulders, back, and legs.

How big was the elk??!! You must be of "Gladiator" build!:cool:

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a Mystery Ranch Cabinet. It cinches down pretty small, but has no problem packing out meat once expanded. As others have said, there are several great brands out there, I would try on a few and see what you like.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Eberlestock F1 main frame paired with a transformer pack. Eberlestock are heavy but durable. For the day type hunts that I use it for it is great. Hauling it in the mountains on a backcountry hunt would not be fun however.

troutslayer

I'm still not sure how I drew a badlands tag but I'll take it. My badlands superday will not cut it if I have to pack anything out.

What does everyone have for a top 3 list?

You can use my Eberlestock X1 pack if you want. I won't be taking it elk hunting over that time frame.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

804.gif

My knees attempting to pack out half an elk. Half a deer is enough for me.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're willing to spend a little money I'd go with Kifaru. You could always find a used frame/bag on Rokslide. SG and MR get good reviews, but I don't have any firsthand experience with them.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
whole deer.jpg

Here is the whole mule deer. I thought i could do it till i stood up about shit my pants broke a treking pole catching my self almost rolled down the creek. I promptly laid down more like fell got the pack of un loaded half and made the 3 mile trip a few times. Doing half an elk in real mountains you are a bad ass mother fucker. If i ever kill an elk on my back country camping trips i have already decided i will make multiple trips.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big was the elk??!! You must be of "Gladiator" build!:cool:

By half I mean a rear quarter, front quarter, and back strap and loins. The head is a separate trip! Bone in, skinned out, knuckles removed, and in game bags.

Gotta find low gear, small steps, and trekking poles! And obviously been in "packing shape" to pull it off. I dont think I have ever packed like that farther than two miles as the crow flies.

Cows, very doable. Mature bulls...pushing the limits of safety depending on the terrain. Obviously the best is one quarter a time, but sometimes there isnt enough packs, or daylight, or cool weather, to allow that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geez - I feel whipped loading a whole deer into a trailer or the back of the sxs by myself.

It appears that any chance I ever had at bad-assing a deer, on my back, are well behind me.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my exo mountain gear pack. The simplicity of use and the extreme comfort are awesome. Hoping I’ll be packing an elk with it this fall out of Idaho. I packed my archery buck last year with it and it was like nothing was on my back.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot exo my brother runs one and likes it. Handy he lives a few blocks from their shop

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82