Need a different pack

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
By half I mean a rear quarter, front quarter, and back strap and loins. The head is a separate trip! Bone in, skinned out, knuckles removed, and in game bags.

Gotta find low gear, small steps, and trekking poles! And obviously been in "packing shape" to pull it off. I dont think I have ever packed like that farther than two miles as the crow flies.

Cows, very doable. Mature bulls...pushing the limits of safety depending on the terrain. Obviously the best is one quarter a time, but sometimes there isnt enough packs, or daylight, or cool weather, to allow that.

3 of us packed a bull out a few years back. It was 1.5miles back to the horses. I shot him on the knob of the hill, in between 2 deep draws, and I watched him go sliding down the north side. Only reason he stopped was because his horns got wrapped up in some adolescent tree's. We packed him out back to the horses, loaded the meat up on the panniers and headed back down the trailer to camp. I lead my horse and carried the head on my shoulders. That was the longest 5 mile walk back down to camp. My KUIU pack paid for itself in that one trip. Added a Mystery Ranch Metcalf the next year, so my uncle could leave his $30 Scheels special at camp if we needed to pack another one out. That one paid for itself last year!

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 of us packed a bull out a few years back. It was 1.5miles back to the horses. I shot him on the knob of the hill, in between 2 deep draws, and I watched him go sliding down the north side. Only reason he stopped was because his horns got wrapped up in some adolescent tree's. We packed him out back to the horses, loaded the meat up on the panniers and headed back down the trailer to camp. I lead my horse and carried the head on my shoulders. That was the longest 5 mile walk back down to camp. My KUIU pack paid for itself in that one trip. Added a Mystery Ranch Metcalf the next year, so my uncle could leave his $30 Scheels special at camp if we needed to pack another one out. That one paid for itself last year!
Do we get a merit badge? :;:rockit

Young and dumb? Probably both.
Better yet, if your going to be dumb...you better be tough. Again, probably both.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of your suggestions have been really helpful. Who knew there were so many damn options. I’m going to try on a few of the packs and see what fits best. I’m going to have a tough time buying top of the line when I won’t use it all that often. I don’t apply or out of state hunts, nor do I slip enough cash to the G&F to get a moose or elk tag.

Sounds to me like you should take one of these fine gentlemen up on their offer to let you borrow their pack, then maybe set them up with some princely crankbaits. And maybe some blue num-nums.

I like gear as much as anybody. I have a hard time saying no. And to an extent, the more expensive it is, the easier it is for me to talk myself into it.

However, if I were to do a hunt like this, it would likely only be once in a lifetime. A borrowed pack frees up some coin for other pursuits...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to agree with Kurty McBackpackhunt and the rest of the hulking beasts that could carry 3 moose, 2 deer, and 1 grouse out in a single trip. All the best options have been laid out for you.

I have a Mystery Ranch Selway 60, and couldn't be happier. It cinches down enough to be a day pack, has the meat hauler between the frame and the pack (which after packing quarters in my internal frame backpacking pack, I'll never go back), and can carry a whole deer if need be. Also bear in mind I'll be coming home to hunt with you dumdums, so you can just use me and my pack as a Sherpa. I work for Busch Lights and shots of Bourbon. Preferably Basil Hayden's, but I won't turn down R&R.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have to agree with Kurty McBackpackhunt and the rest of the hulking beasts that could carry 3 moose, 2 deer, and 1 grouse out in a single trip. All the best options have been laid out for you.

I have a Mystery Ranch Selway 60, and couldn't be happier. It cinches down enough to be a day pack, has the meat hauler between the frame and the pack (which after packing quarters in my internal frame backpacking pack, I'll never go back), and can carry a whole deer if need be. Also bear in mind I'll be coming home to hunt with you dumdums, so you can just use me and my pack as a Sherpa. I work for Busch Lights and shots of Bourbon. Preferably Basil Hayden's, but I won't turn down R&R.

Kurty Mcbackpackhunt is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Thank you. You’re welcome to pack my 4C whitetail out if you want. Staying at the trappers inn with dirtymike..... hopefully don’t get a room with bedbugs this time. Actually considering setting up the tent inside the room.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurty Mcbackpackhunt.

big pack.jpeg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big bags mean you think you need to bring more shit that you don’t need I have learned that the hard way.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big bags mean you think you need to bring more shit that you don’t need I have learned that the hard way.

I think that's pretty much how everyone learns that lesson. Sooner or later a person figures out that you DON'T need 50 rounds of ammo and 2-3 outfits/day worth of clothing. Also, tablets or a filter weigh a lot less and take up a lot less room than 3 cases of bottled water......

You have to admit, the nickname and the pic with the big pack is funny though.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, I think that goes for everything in life. Just brought the camper home for the first time to get it ready for camping. When the wife starts restocking it, she always puts way to much shit in there because she THINKS WE MIGHT need it, I can already see myself doing numerous eye rolls today!! ;:;banghead

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think that's pretty much how everyone learns that lesson. Sooner or later a person figures out that you DON'T need 50 rounds of ammo and 2-3 outfits/day worth of clothing. Also, tablets or a filter weigh a lot less and take up a lot less room than 3 cases of bottled water......

You have to admit, the nickname and the pic with the big pack is funny though.

Hey now, those jansports toted around about 40 pounds worth of books, and trapper keepers a day throughout middleschool. Legends of the Hidden Temple didnt just give one away every single day for no reason.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, I think that goes for everything in life. Just brought the camper home for the first time to get it ready for camping. When the wife starts restocking it, she always puts way to much shit in there because she THINKS WE MIGHT need it, I can already see myself doing numerous eye rolls today!! ;:;banghead

My wife is getting things ready for camping this weekend. She must think I have access to a military convoy, because that is the only way we are going to get all the crap she wants to take with there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We upgraded from a 20yr old 28' camper to a 10yr old 38' camper this spring. The new camper is fuller than the old one. :confused::confused:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82