User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Monster's Lurk~

    1. Back To Top    #1
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      2,107
      NDA Points
      131,837
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,009
      Given: 1,420

      Monster's Lurk~

      Name:  fRvEo.md (1).jpg
Views: 999
Size:  96.3 KBour sturgeon run is on...big bastards too.

      Name:  fR4qH.md (1).jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  90.8 KB

      4 Not allowed!
      Last edited by snow; 05-11-2021 at 12:26 PM.

    2. Back To Top    #2
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      JayKay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Southeast Bismarck
      Posts
      2,944
      NDA Points
      239,000
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 5,672
      Given: 8,252
      Wow! Fun! Do you just jump on their backs, plug your nose, and ride 'em til they're tired?

      1 Not allowed!
      Me, to Shadrap65:
      "What the heck kinda line you got on?!"
      Shadrap65, to me:
      "Fish catchin' line, son!"

    3. Back To Top    #3
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      2,107
      NDA Points
      131,837
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,009
      Given: 1,420
      Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
      Wow! Fun! Do you just jump on their backs, plug your nose, and ride 'em til they're tired?
      lol,quick cure for hemmroids,dang dinosaurs have razor sharp dorsel spiny fins that'll get your attention if your not careful.

      0 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #4
      VIP Member
      No more adulting for me
      today...
       
      Mood:
      Meh
       
      BP338's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      North Dakota
      Posts
      1,240
      NDA Points
      263,240
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      3
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,414
      Given: 3,750
      That's cool! Thanks for sharing!

      0 Not allowed!
      "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."
      Teddy Roosevelt

    5. Back To Top    #5
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,317
      NDA Points
      404,626
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,569
      Given: 16,303
      I wonder if the native americans had an open season on those

      3 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    6. Back To Top    #6
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Innocent
       
      Wags2.0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      692
      NDA Points
      37,928
      NDA Level
      85
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,583
      Given: 1,684
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      I wonder if the native americans had an open season on those
      I cant imagine they taste all that good. Easy access to lots of protein was probably tempting.

      Fun fact - nobody (modern man) fished for or sought after sturgeon until the great depression. They were seen as nuisance species and regularly thrown on shore.

      0 Not allowed!

    7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      johnr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Dickinson
      Posts
      8,307
      NDA Points
      129,938
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,773
      Given: 9,015
      Quote Originally Posted by Wags2.0 View Post
      I cant imagine they taste all that good. Easy access to lots of protein was probably tempting.

      Fun fact - nobody (modern man) fished for or sought after sturgeon until the great depression. They were seen as nuisance species and regularly thrown on shore.
      Thanks

      1 Not allowed!

    8. Back To Top    #8
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,317
      NDA Points
      404,626
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,569
      Given: 16,303
      Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  41.9 KB

      Coincidence?

      1 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    9. Back To Top    #9
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      johnr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Dickinson
      Posts
      8,307
      NDA Points
      129,938
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,773
      Given: 9,015
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  41.9 KB

      Coincidence?
      Are you suggesting Wags is a fancy boy?

      - - - Updated - - -

      Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
      Are you suggesting Wags is a fancy boy?
      a really dandy?

      0 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #10
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Duckslayer100's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      ND's Flatter Half
      Posts
      2,170
      NDA Points
      68,632
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,151
      Given: 4,788
      Quote Originally Posted by Wags2.0 View Post
      I cant imagine they taste all that good. Easy access to lots of protein was probably tempting.

      Fun fact - nobody (modern man) fished for or sought after sturgeon until the great depression. They were seen as nuisance species and regularly thrown on shore.
      Funny enough, my Grandpa Ray grew up north of the Twin Cities near the St. Croix River. His mom would send him and his brothers down regularly to catch fish for supper. He said his favorite by far was sturgeon. And this is a guy who later on in life spent his days fishing for crappies on a cold, tannin-stained lake in the Iron Range.

      I've always been tempted to try sturgeon just from his stories.

      0 Not allowed!
      Remember to always practice CPR: Catch, Pickle and Refrigerate!

    11. Back To Top    #11
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,317
      NDA Points
      404,626
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,569
      Given: 16,303
      • When the first European settlers reached North America, lobsters were so plentiful that they would reportedly wash ashore in piles up to 2 feet high. Their bounty made them a precious source of sustenance during hard times—and gave them a nasty reputation as the poor man’s protein.
      • Native Americans used lobsters to fertilize their crops and bait their fishing hooks. They also ate the abundant crustaceans, preparing them by covering them in seaweed and baking them over hot rocks. According to tradition, this cooking method inspired the classic New England clambake.
      • At first, lobsters were gathered by hand along the shoreline. In the late 1700s, special boats known as smacks, which featured tanks with holes that allowed seawater to circulate, were introduced in Maine for the transport of live lobsters. The workers who operated these shellfish-friendly vessels were known as smackmen. It was not until the mid-19th century that lobster trapping, also first practiced in Maine, became a more popular way to collect the sea creatures.
      • Dirt-cheap because they were so copious, lobsters were routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children during the colonial era and beyond. In Massachusetts, some servants allegedly sought to avoid lobster-heavy diets by including stipulations in their contracts that they would only be served the shellfish twice a week.

      1 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    12. Back To Top    #12
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      4,819
      NDA Points
      65,288
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 6,371
      Given: 313
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      • When the first European settlers reached North America, lobsters were so plentiful that they would reportedly wash ashore in piles up to 2 feet high. Their bounty made them a precious source of sustenance during hard times—and gave them a nasty reputation as the poor man’s protein.
      • Native Americans used lobsters to fertilize their crops and bait their fishing hooks. They also ate the abundant crustaceans, preparing them by covering them in seaweed and baking them over hot rocks. According to tradition, this cooking method inspired the classic New England clambake.
      • At first, lobsters were gathered by hand along the shoreline. In the late 1700s, special boats known as smacks, which featured tanks with holes that allowed seawater to circulate, were introduced in Maine for the transport of live lobsters. The workers who operated these shellfish-friendly vessels were known as smackmen. It was not until the mid-19th century that lobster trapping, also first practiced in Maine, became a more popular way to collect the sea creatures.
      • Dirt-cheap because they were so copious, lobsters were routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices, slaves and children during the colonial era and beyond. In Massachusetts, some servants allegedly sought to avoid lobster-heavy diets by including stipulations in their contracts that they would only be served the shellfish twice a week.
      I don't believe I'd be thrilled about Lobster 2x/wk even. Crab, 2x/day would be fine. Lobster, 0-2x/yr is about right for me.

      0 Not allowed!
      This has been like listening to Nancy Pelosi argue with Ozzy Osborne.

    13. Back To Top    #13
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Captain Ahab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Timbuktu
      Posts
      4,880
      NDA Points
      165,743
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,731
      Given: 3,561
      I know up at LOW/Rainy River there are a handful of people that try to get keepers every year(slot fish).

      0 Not allowed!

    14. Back To Top    #14
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      12,317
      NDA Points
      404,626
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 18,569
      Given: 16,303
      I bet they smoke up decent.

      0 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    15. Back To Top    #15
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Mandan
      Posts
      863
      NDA Points
      17,905
      NDA Level
      58
      Report Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,234
      Given: 1,078
      I visited some family in oregon and one of the restaurants there had a sturgeon special the night we were there. They happened to have a season to keep them in a slot that year. I wasn’t brave enough to order it but my brother-in-law did and he said I have to try it but that he only would part with one bite. He told me to order it and I should have listened. I had plenty of fresh dungeness crab other times during that trip and regret to this day not ordering the sturgeon special

      0 Not allowed!

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube