Brush Gun

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
“Brush-gun” = complete horseshit. You can’t touch something spinning 150K RPM + and expect flight-path to be maintained. Bullets that fly all “wounded-duck” don’t mushroom as they’re supposed to and you don’t get the secondary-wound channel vortex with a tumbling projectile.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe the concept but believe he's shooting through a created tunnel. Also obstacles should've been more consistent/replenished and groups shot from a bench. A .45/or more shouldn't need to expand at 50yds. A tumble will suffice.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad had us three boys for the purpose of building haystacks, pitching crab on a stone boat, picking rocks and walking brush to push deer to him and using our tags.

Gave us a model 94 30-30 to hunt with as he said it was a good brush gun with 7 bullets. Well iron sites were better than a scope in the brush but i think he knew we would miss and we gave him all those deer. db

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another flaw is the clearance between the brush and target. The target should've been imbedded in brush at 50. This begs more experimentation as the shot presented would be dumbass to an ethical hunter. Not saying I dislike the guy:

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/YYk8fez2d0w

https://youtu.be/crOg6YvBeXk

- - - Updated - - -
https://youtu.be/InbyFtvHilM

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/FSaqqKz5zyc

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/YpIpkPjtaN8

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/ZUwh-gP_ZCI

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad had us three boys for the purpose of building haystacks, pitching crab on a stone boat, picking rocks and walking brush to push deer to him and using our tags.

Gave us a model 94 30-30 to hunt with as he said it was a good brush gun with 7 bullets. Well iron sites were better than a scope in the brush but i think he knew we would miss and we gave him all those deer. db
That's some funny shit right there. Probably a pretty accurate assessment of your dad's motives.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brush guns are for those a-holes out east of the Red that take "sound" shots.

The pure astonishment I had at such a concept when I first heard about it is impossible to relay to you all.

W... T.. F...?

rapala_09

Honored Member

The pure astonishment I had at such a concept when I first heard about it is impossible to relay to you all.

W... T.. F...?

Is this a real thing?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe 30 or even 40 years ago a fellow published his experiment in Outdoor Life. He had 1/4 in his dowels 1/4 inch apart in a 2x4 board set in front of a target. He set his dowels at two feet in front, then six feet in front and then ten feet in front. Maybe the lever guns in large calibers were short handling in brush and so gained that reputation, but they didn't shoot brush bullets. People have the image of big bullets busting their way through everything, but not so. The large diameter bullets deflected most while the small long bullets deflected the least. The winning cartridge was the Italian 6.5 Carcano. I would guess the faster spinning bullet spinning around a smaller axis would be less easily disrupted.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A .45/or more shouldn't need to expand at 50yds. A tumble will suffice.

I vehemently disagree. Also, Eric is either the worlds best tracker, or, he doesn't eat wild game. #Gutshooterextrodinaire

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have to disagree with you a little SDMF. I have blown three inch holes in deer heart at 172 yards with 250 gr hard cast from a 44 mag rifle. One has to ponder which does more damage a 44 or 45 hard cast that doesn't expand, or a 30 caliber that expands to 44. Disregarding velocity of course. Then consider penetration. I am around people shooting 30-06 and 308 and often they find their bullets in the deer. Although slow the heavy hard cast I have never found in a deer. I see no need for expansion in my 45/70 300 gr hard cast at 2300 fps.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have to disagree with you a little SDMF. I have blown three inch holes in deer heart at 172 yards with 250 gr hard cast from a 44 mag rifle. One has to ponder which does more damage a 44 or 45 hard cast that doesn't expand, or a 30 caliber that expands to 44. Disregarding velocity of course. Then consider penetration. I am around people shooting 30-06 and 308 and often they find their bullets in the deer. Although slow the heavy hard cast I have never found in a deer. I see no need for expansion in my 45/70 300 gr hard cast at 2300 fps.

What caliber is your 44/45 hard-cast while in Yaw?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering the length of te bullet the caliber woukd increase with any tilt off axis. Keyholeing the 44 would be about 80 caliber, and likewise for the 45. With the 405 gr in the 45/70 a keyhole woukd be about 1.20 caliber. I didn't measure I just estimated from memory. My neighbors house is on fire so I don't want to go back to our house right now. 20210608_085434.jpg

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering the length of te bullet the caliber woukd increase with any tilt off axis.

Exactly. Then the next piece, anything beyond a straight and true spiral is going to potentially equal a very erratic wound channel. I'm not saying you can't kill a deer that way. I'm saying the results are erratically unknowable.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this a real thing?

Yes, sadly enough. I knew some backwoods hun-yucks from northern Minnetucky who would proudly proclaim how many "sound shots" they got while out walking through the woods. Hear a noise...shoot in its direction...go look for blood. Again, WTF?

Needless to say, I NEVER hunted with them.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, sadly enough. I knew some backwoods hun-yucks from northern Minnetucky who would proudly proclaim how many "sound shots" they got while out walking through the woods. Hear a noise...shoot in its direction...go look for blood. Again, WTF?

Needless to say, I NEVER hunted with them.

Yup they do take sound shots in Minn. I'll never forget my reaction when a friend of mine came back to school (NDSU) after opening weekend deer hunting. I asked him if he got anything and he said no but he did get some 'sound shots'. I asked him what the hell is a sound shout and he said if you hear something or the bushes move you shot. I said are you fucking insane!? and he said if you didn't do that you would never get a deer. Ironic thing was that he was bow hunting and was just drawing back to take a 'sound shot' when the wiggling bushes shot first! Arrow missed his head by 6" and he dropped to the ground yelling at the shooter. Didn't stop him from taking sound shots though. Crazy bastards.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago a neighbor came to my dad. Said he had shot a Herford cow as all its gut were handing out the back end. However the cow took off and and he asked my dad to come and shoot as he could not get near it. Shot with a 22 and afterwards the bullet had went in just above the nose.

So my dad says to me to grab the 94 and one 30-30 bullet. Well i grab two of them bullets (just in case). Cow was wild and closes my dad could get as i remember was about 100 yards.

Cow facing dad, bullet rang out, a cloud of dust from forehead, cow stood and just shook head back and forth.
Second shot, again a cloud of dust from forehead and cow drop down. (but did skin out head and holes were next to each other but first one must on not got in very far]
Ok, 30-30 with all its knock down power. 243 on a buffalo (in another post)? Just need to hit the right spot. db

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member

W... T.. F...?

Sir,

I will return your WTF with another. This is the same gd hysteria the media has fomented about race. I'm sure if a true "sound shot" study was conducted the retard results would be quite similar fucking nationwide or globally. Even as stereotypes are based in truth we cannot be lazy and allow them to cloud logic. I'm sorry you imbedded yourself amongst retards with guns.

- - - Updated - - -

Dumbasses should be treated equally.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't believe a tumbling Core Lokt or Power Point will impact ribs and exit nose or anus at 50yds (unless you're not wearing a mask):

The predictability rivals predicting how many times a flat rock will skip on a wavy day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55