Minnows in Refrigerator

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20220310_154316.jpg
20220310_154337.jpg

I've been using the Tetra AquaSafe Plus to keep minnows in the fridge all ice season, and it's really cut down on waste and hassle. I was skeptical the AquaSafe would work on chloramines in city water but it sure does. About 12 drops into a gallon jug with cold tap water and it's ready for the next water change. About 1 water change a week is all. Keep the water jug in the fridge next to the minnows so it's all the same temp and doesn't shock them. A lid on the bucket keeps it dark and avoids smell. A large strainer is also much quicker than a regular minnow scoop.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same thing for a while. However, I had 4 - 1 gallon jugs and changed the water every other day. It was okay for a while, but I was glad when I ended up using all the minnows. To me $4.00 a scoop is less of a headache than worrying about keeping minnows alive. If I lived in a town that didn't sell minnows, it would be the ideal thing to do. A guy should start a business selling frozen minnow heads in the winter since that's all a lot of people use.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep minnows in a five gallon bucket in a five gallon bucket out in my shop, which is at 45 degrees for weeks at a time. All I use is a small bubbler and they do fine. By the end of the summer, they only last about a week when the shop gets up to around 65-70 degrees.

Oh yeah, and I use the same dechlorination chems as shown above.

One of the keys to keeping the minnows alive is to make sure you remove dead ones as soon as you can. There's something that dead fish give off that is pretty lethal to their little buddies.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you remove the lid do they retreat to the bottom and shield their eyes in a fetal position?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^You kick ass. I was going the more "prison hole" angle. Lotion is good in many situations.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should see how they make your me maw giggle. I think she's up to a dozen.

- - - Updated - - -

They're more aerodynamic than ping pong balls.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have about 40 of them left from last weekend, have the bait bucket that looks like a little yeti with a bubbler in it. Can I keep them without changing water for a couple weeks? I am not into them that much that I am going to get water jugs and treatment whatnots.

How about if I boil water for a bit, let that cool down, is it now minnow safe?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just run tap water into 5 gallon bucket. Let it sit uncovered for a few days so the bad shit evaporates and disappears. I use city water. I try to get the water temp somewhat close to your minnows (like take your minnows out of fridge and set besides pail in garage or something for a little while) so not such a big shock. I have really had no issues doing it this way.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got an old fridge in the shop I keep mine in with an electric pump running a bubbler. Ran the tubing thru a small hole in the wall of the fridge. I use the better-bait brand blue pellets and change the water once a week. Works great if you don't want to buy new bait every trip.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got an old fridge in the shop I keep mine in with an electric pump running a bubbler. Ran the tubing thru a small hole in the wall of the fridge. I use the better-bait brand blue pellets and change the water once a week. Works great if you don't want to buy new bait every trip.
How do I go about putting some weight on this bait, some of them are not hook worthy

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have about 40 of them left from last weekend, have the bait bucket that looks like a little yeti with a bubbler in it. Can I keep them without changing water for a couple weeks? I am not into them that much that I am going to get water jugs and treatment whatnots.

Stick it in the fridge or keep adding snow or ice to them to keep them cold and you should be able to keep most of them alive for a couple weeks. Temp seems to be the biggest thing they don't tolerate warm water very well, ice cold the better.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've had minnows in the same style bait bucket without the aerator running for about 10 days now. I need to clean it up tonight as I noticed there were a few dead ones yesterday that I forgot to get rid of before I called it a night. Once one dies, the dead ones will kill off the live ones in short order. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a lot of dead ones in the bucket tonight because of this.

Note, my shop is kept at 45 degrees in the winter.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had minnows in the same style bait bucket without the aerator running for about 10 days now. I need to clean it up tonight as I noticed there were a few dead ones yesterday that I forgot to get rid of before I called it a night. Once one dies, the dead ones will kill off the live ones in short order. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a lot of dead ones in the bucket tonight because of this.

Note, my shop is kept at 45 degrees in the winter.
I have mine at 62*, so I might need to scoop a bit of snow into it this evening.

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
That blue stuff you add to minnow water does wonders at keeping them alive for extended periods. As for tap water, letting it stand a few hours in a open air container will allow the chlorine to dissipate out. Not so much for the other crap in it.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just keep them cold and replace water regularly . We kept minnows an entire ice season in the permanent as long as they didn't freeze or overheat. Minnows are tough. Not rocket surgery.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crackers for food. Change water weekly if you can. Aerator in fridge is the easiest and best option. Get a bait fridge or momma won't be happy. For those of with a bait shop in town, not 60 miles one way, just get new bait when you go.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84