K- Drill won't cut

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious if anyone has ever had this issue.

Received my blades back from K-drill(re-sharpened) about 8 holes in the auger completely quit cutting. I may have hit some dirty ice but I didnt think that would stop this type of auger in its tracks. When I mean it wouldnt cut, it wouldnt even make it past the small hole created by the chisel tip.

Anyone else have this happen and did you figure out the issue?!!?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That means the bevel angle is not right and most likely wasn’t sharpened on both sides of the blade .

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
It went from cutting ice like butter to notta, still think its a bevel issue? I will be sending blades back maybe ill get an explanation maybe not.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes if you just had them sent In and sharpened and they don’t shave ice then the bevel angle is off. If the blades shaved ice after you got them back and now don’t then they need sharpening again.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you try turning your drill into forward instead if reverse?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
very dirty ice this year, i had a set dull in about the same 8 hole mark

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it for myself but my blades went from cutting like new to not cutting another inch in about 15 holes with a sand seam between ice and melted snow. Sandy ice will dull these blades very quickly and to the point that they simply will not cut regardless of pressure applied.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ice is really dirty never seen anything like this.

- - - Updated - - -

The dirty 30’s are basically making a comeback.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
like OP says, i am not convinced a dull blade on a chipper like the k-drill would stop it in its tracks and go from cutting great to nothing instantly. bevel angle maybe. but, surprised it cut at all once you got it back then. same thing with mounting the blades incorrectly. i actually like the somewhat sarcastic remark about making sure you aren't running in reverse....

- - - Updated - - -

what lake? you guys down south have some really dirty ice this year.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kluge also has different qualities of steel available for the custom blade applications. I have a set of 10 inch blades can handle dirty sandy ice much better but they cost more of course. They are a higher grade of steel. I have several sets of blades and the higher quality steel is harder and holds a better edge .

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kluge also has different qualities of steel available for the custom blade applications. I have a set of 10 inch blades can handle dirty sandy ice much better but they cost more of course. They are a higher grade of steel. I have several sets of blades and the higher quality steel is harder and holds a better edge .
I am just a western guy, we take the steel we get and we like it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have commercial grade items for applications such as red river hydrology drilling.

NDsniper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had this happen once to me. The pilot bit slid over in front of the cutting blade. Had to loosen the pilot and center it between 2 chipper

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did you drop the auger on the blades, hit a small tree branch once, blade was shot instantly

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the pilot got dull, it will absolutely not cut either. My Jiffy had that happen. Had a sharpened set of blades put on, do dice. Broke out the brand new blades, same thing. Sharpened pilot when got home, both sets of blades cut like champs

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rip the throttle drill baby drill the old jiffy’s .

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
My strike master blades are shot after drilling through sandy ice. Anyone know where a guy could have the blades sharpened around the fargo area?

$50 for a new set is redic.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The corner bait shop in Madison lake MN sharpens strikemaster blades along with all other blades including the k drill blades.

- - - Updated - - -

They also sell used blades.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day, a person never heard of issues with the Jiffy Model 30.;:;bowdown

Back in the Day ? My ol model 30 was singin the song of her people last weekend ... still smells as beautiful as ever

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82