K-drill rage

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the company is no longer in business the guy was an amazing engineer but a terrible business owner. Doug kluge like many others didn't have anything nice to say.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Retrofitting things that are not meant to be can get expensive just to justify they saved a buck or two and brag about it in there early stages until it bites them in the ass lmao!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's called updating or improving for faster easier and more efficient operations becuase that's how a company stays in business. Some work some dont example coke and coke classic
The thing about the kdrill is that it's been around for years , if you read up on Doug kluge you will realize that his augers were first designed to run with a gas auger. It wasnt till the brushless cordless drill came around could the bit be used.
https://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?8007-Cadillac-of-ice-augers&highlight

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
8 inch kdrill is a huge load on a 1/2 drill, my new milaukee didnt last long on my k drill and never drilled in ice more than 16 inches thick.

I'm guessing you had the lowest torque model they make. I beat the shit out of mine and have never had a problem. I mix sheetrock mud and concrete all the time and run the kdrill. I've drilled in 30 inches of ice and never had a problem.

SHEDZ

I know I have seen k-drill threads on here before, but I am curious about one thing. I have been using a 10-inch hole since I have started ice fishing so i would like to hear from those of you that have gone from a 10" to an 8" hole. It's hard to find anyone saying much bad about the K-drill and my only reservation on it would be moving down to an 8-inch hole as I love the extra space in the 10-inch holes.

There is no reason why k-drill don't make a 10'. With these new drills they have plenty of power to handle them. If they do make one I will buy it!!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing you had the lowest torque model they make. I beat the shit out of mine and have never had a problem. I mix sheetrock mud and concrete all the time and run the kdrill. I've drilled in 30 inches of ice and never had a problem.

2704-20

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no reason why k-drill don't make a 10'. With these new drills they have plenty of power to handle them. If they do make one I will buy it!!

Then you’d better plan on buying twice as many batteries along with the 10” bit. I’ve been fishing with a friend who’s been using a 6” auger. I use roughly twice the battery turning an 8” in a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Were you using a clam plate?

No, because I’m a man. A true North Dakotan.

SHEDZ

I could see that using small batteries but I use 60 volt 9.0AH batteries with my dewalt and get 50 holes with one battery using the 8' k-drill with 12' inches of ice easy. I would be just fine with a 10'. All else fails I would have to bring a second battery if needed.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were you using a clam plate?

no clam plate anything over 10 inches of ice it stops and sounds like a brush drill just before it smokes, and the trigger forward and reverse licks the trigger when going from forward to reverse.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
no clam plate anything over 10 inches of ice it stops and sounds like a brush drill just before it smokes, and the trigger forward and reverse licks the trigger when going from forward to reverse.
Hmm...did you try to return the drill, sounds like a possible lemon? I’m actually curious about the Milwaukee warranty if used as an auger. I’m just starting this whole drill/auger thing although I’m paired with a clam plate and shaver hand auger. So far it’s been awesome and way faster than my gas, but may switch back to gas now that ice is getting thick to preserve the drill.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Take it back and have them warranty it. Definitely something wrong. Milwaukee has a great warranty they dont give a shit how you use your tools. If it's been under 5 years they will fix it.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm with @Kickemup here. A fishing buddy of mine recently sent his off to Milwaukee. It kept stalling when punching holes and he could only get about 3 on a 4amp battery. They said it sounded like the safety limit switch was either bad or needed adjustment. If that didn't fix it they are just gonna send him a brand new drill.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran my 40V Strikemaster 10" this weekend on Lake Winnipeg in -30, and I have ZERO complaints. I was overly impressed. The only time I had an issue was when I didn't put the battery in the cab when we moved from spots. Just needed to let that battery warm up and it ran flawlessly. When I was letting the battery warm up, I fired up the Jiffy Pro-4 Propane. And that got the job done also. I've been using that Jiffy Propane 10" Auger for the last 4 seasons up there and have had minimal issues. As long as you keep the bottle in your jacket or cab of the ranger, it'll run. With it being that cold, we did have to pull on it about 20 times to get everything loose. But when it's -30 out, what more do you expect.

I will tell you that after using that 40V Strikemaster, I'll never look back! We drilled 20+ holes, through 30"+/- of ice, in -20+ conditions, on 1 battery in one day. And does that auger ever eat ice!

As to the 8" vs 10". We used an 8" auger several years back, and we hooked more fish on the bottom of the ice trying to get their heads through the hole. I have yet to have a consecutive problem with that, using a 10". But with this last trip, I didn't have a fish 28'+ either!!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran my 40V Strikemaster 10" this weekend on Lake Winnipeg in -30, and I have ZERO complaints. I was overly impressed. The only time I had an issue was when I didn't put the battery in the cab when we moved from spots. Just needed to let that battery warm up and it ran flawlessly. When I was letting the battery warm up, I fired up the Jiffy Pro-4 Propane. And that got the job done also. I've been using that Jiffy Propane 10" Auger for the last 4 seasons up there and have had minimal issues. As long as you keep the bottle in your jacket or cab of the ranger, it'll run. With it being that cold, we did have to pull on it about 20 times to get everything loose. But when it's -30 out, what more do you expect.

I will tell you that after using that 40V Strikemaster, I'll never look back! We drilled 20+ holes, through 30"+/- of ice, in -20+ conditions, on 1 battery in one day. And does that auger ever eat ice!

As to the 8" vs 10". We used an 8" auger several years back, and we hooked more fish on the bottom of the ice trying to get their heads through the hole. I have yet to have a consecutive problem with that, using a 10". But with this last trip, I didn't have a fish 28'+ either!!

I cant get over how cold and terrible it must have been.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, it was a bit on the cool side.

I've been up there with this kind of weather several times. On the way home I decided that this was the last time. I've tested my equipment enough in -30 temps, they'll work just find around 0!!

The biggest thing was that there was ZERO wind! We actually fished outside for awhile on Thursday and Friday trying to find fish. I know it's hard to imagine, but it could of been worse if the Big Windy would of cranked up..

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Happy to hear you like the SM 40V. I just bought one (8") and its maiden voyage will be on the 1st up at Winnipeg. It was highly recommended by Captain Ahab so it must be good....

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up the 8" Pistol Bit. Hopefully that thing rocks as much as I've been told.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 54
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 18