2017 Deer Gun Season

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
db-2 just send me your vital info, including SSN, and Credit card #, and I will handle your app process... I will also set you up with some fine Asian women

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will hypocritically agree. My son did Hunter safety last year and has been counting the days and practicing ever since. Now my daughter could have the same opportunity without the same Hunter safety and practice. Granted my daughter is a better shot... And probably more responsible.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well in our area we found more dead deer than shed antlers,sucked.
Coyotes had a hay day in that deep snow.
It was a hard winter in my area but the mid winter thaws undoubtedly saved allot of deer and I saw big herds this spring. Hell on one short half mile out and back to check for a dead deer I busted out nearly 50 live ones and found zero dead so an increase doesn't seem to be out of line in that area at least.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I agree with the new law allowing 10/11 year olds to smack deer. Go ahead and roast me for saying it.......won't change my mind

Some kids are ready. Some kids aren't. I think G&F giving parents more freedom to decide what time is right for their children to begin deer hunting is a good thing.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I agree with the new law allowing 10/11 year olds to smack deer. Go ahead and roast me for saying it.......won't change my mind

I agree. There are plenty of smaller game to get youngsters started on before moving to high caliber deer rifles. They should have left it at 14 IMO.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting kids into the field at an earlier age sinks those hooks of living the outdoor sporting lifestyle a little deeper. As we are a shrinking segment of the overall population, I say ANY opportunity to recruit younger folks into our sport is a GOOD THING!! My daughter has taken 3 deer so far and started at 10. She's shot, gutted, and processed all 3 of her deer so far and loves to hunt. If I would have had to wait until she was 14, I believe I would have LOST the chance and ability to get her into hunting to more girly stuff like phones, friends, television, and the internet. Most of her friends at school don't hunt or even have an interest in hunting. That my friends, is a scary trend we should all try to reverse.

EnglishCocker

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the youth doe licenses are they guaranteed to get a license or is it a lottery process for them as well? I tried finding it in the proclamation but didn't see where it said that. I am assuming it may work like the gratis licenses and just go against the number of tags allotted for the unit they draw? Also, with this rule change to allow younger hunters in the field with high powered rifles i would like to see the age requirement for hunters safety lowered to align with these hunters.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally want my kids to wait. It's the anticipation that is key to building the desire. I wasn't allowed to hunt until I was 12. It was the law, but it was also something I think my parents wanted, too. Which was great, because the more I was brought along with the "big boys" and got to see them hunt, the more I was chomping at the bit to do it myself!

I started my son last fall on his third birthday for his very first "hunt" with dad. We laid down in a blind and he got to witness hundreds and hundreds of Canada geese fly over our heads. No, we didn't smoke an early-season limit, but we did get five, including my first band ever. He still talks about it, and claims he has dreams about hunting ducks and geese and pheasants and deer with dad (which is funny, because he hasn't come deer hunting with me yet -- but he did come with for geese and ducks and pheasants last fall).

So we'll see what the future holds for him. Maybe I'll let him plink a dove off a fencepost or ground pound a teal for his first bird ahead of our self-imposed 12 year age limit. But all I really care is to build that drive so I have a hunting buddy for life.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Johnr, Asian women eh:

The year was 1970. I was sitting on top of a hill in the brush of the highlands of SE Asia.
One day the lifers said there is a general coming out and we are going to have him come visit your gun.
So like a good soldier I told the troops to put on their best (yea) uniform they could find and maybe shave.

So the next morning I report to him for inspection and introduce him to my gunner Cpl Gannon. Gannon takes him on the inspection of the 175 mm. He proceeds to tell Gannon how we will do things going forward. I said I appreciate the input (but no way in hell is that going to happen). However the Cpl will not let it drop. I get sucked into the conversation.

Before it is over they take my M-16 away from me (however I still had my grease gun), my command away, told me to spit shine my boots (ha-ha as if there was any polish around), I will get a early out to the state and Fort Leonardworth with no strips but then, it gets really serious.
I was schedule for R&R the next week. I was gong to Bangkok (Asian women no/yes/maybe), I had 600 dollars and a vision that I had in my mind for the last month. A GI with 600 dollars, a dream, been on this hill for 6 months with 100 other GI and now going to Bangkok. And poof it was gone. And my vision went with it. 22 and still do not know a women.

And now Johnr, 40 some years later you bring Asian women back on the table.
Something telling me not to find that vision again. db

- - - Updated - - -

My boy started walking with me carrying a rubber ban gun when he was 4 or 5, then he went to a single shot BB gun. At age 13 his first bow and then later his youth 7mm-08 Remington ( I believe 14). It was soon enough for him and me with the rifle. db

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member

keep in mind kids are generally an extension of their parents ... and kids today aren't what they were 10,20,30 years ago... I would like to think that a parent wouldn’t put a child that is not ready in the field…but then again have you met some of our fellow mouth breathers

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm Ok with 10/11 year old kids hunting provided that an adult is with to supervise. I've taken my kids out for the past several years during youth season. They carry the gun and I sit/walk behind them the whole time, carrying supplies. They definitely respect the gun and won't shoot unless I give them the OK.

My brother just took his first kid out last year and we both agree that it's the best time we've had hunting ever when we take the kids.

I have to add that if you don't take your daughters out deer hunting because they are girls and you think they won't like it, you may be mistaken. I had to beg my girls to take hunters safety. They thought they wouldn't like hunting. They found the class very boring but they plowed through it. However, I was surprised how much they learned.

When we went out hunting the first year, everything changed when they saw their first doe they could shoot. They were so excited. I brought lawn chairs into the refuge and waited in the evening for the deer to walk around. They were surprisingly great shots and got their deer.

This year I applied for a cow moose license for my daughter, but she wasn't drawn. She was really bummed out. Unfortunately my oldest daughter is a senior this year and will be heading off for college this fall. I haven't decided if I should apply for a doe for her this year. It makes me sad thinking about it.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a few comments about deer gun season that I have experienced with my boys over the years. I am all for getting the youth involved in all types of hunting when they are mentally and physically able. What Ive seen happen in my house with deer gun season hasn't been a hunter friendly experience. Both my boys received their youth permit to hunt deer when they were 14. We did all the things a guy does to make it successful. Both boys shot nice deer. They were hooked. This is where the problem started for us. It took one of them another 6 years to draw their next tag in our area and the second one got his next tag after applying for 7 years. 14 years old to 20 or 21...So one of the boys bought a deer rifle after his first season and only shot it one season after that and the second one never saw the need to buy one as he knew he wouldn't be drawing for a few years anyway. I can't imagine growing up and not owning a deer rifle and not being able to shoot a deer most every year. I introduced both boys to bow hunting and they both bow hunt deer but don't have too much interest in rifle hunting for deer and I can't blame them. In my family, deer season is no longer a big family get together like it was when I was growing up. Pretty disappointed but not much I can do about it. They are gone from the deer gun sport in ND.
PS..... The NDGF (totally) mismanaged the deer numbers in our area! Selling upwards of 6-7 extra doe tags every year and then we had a so so winter kill on a following year. Blamed the low numbers on bad winter when in all reality they oversold tags for the MONEY!! It wasn't about the deer management, it was all about the MONEY !!!

And before someone says to just apply somewhere other than the unit where we live, I thought about it and decided that we would maybe be taking a tag from another young hunter who lives in that area and loves to hunt with his family!!!

Fish On!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think in some cases it is a good thing to get kids out at a younger age and other cases may lead to trouble, which is normally going to be dictated by the parents. My 5yr old daughter I would say is very respectful and responsible for her age and on the other hand there is a little boy in her class that I am not sure I would trust in a padded room for 5 minutes.
If the parents do their due diligence and aren't retarded about safety I see no problem with the age change. But unfortunately martinslanding has a point.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put both my youngest through hunter safety last year right around Halloween time. My daughter was 12, and the boy was 10, because of his young age, and turning 11 in a month they allowed him to go through with me sitting in the class with him the entire 16 hours. Was not looking forward to doing this, but actually turned out to be a great experience for the both of us.

Both kids have hunted pheasant for a couple years, both have come along on deer hunts with me and mrs johnr, and I feel as though both are ready with me in the back ground ensuring everything is safe and done by the book.

I am looking forward to this first season with the both of them, hoping we have a lifetime of seasons ahead of us. I personally have never not gotten a tag. I apply for my first pick and sometimes get it, most times don't, but always get a doe tag in my home area, you don't eat the damn horns anyway, and my penis is the perfect size whether my deer has a 150+ rack or not...haha

I have been blessed with some good friends who farm and ranch in my area, land access has been readily available, makes for a good hunting life, when a person married the right woman that also enjoys hunting, and can actually make a good sandwich and looks like she went slumming to marry me..

God Bless ND, and our Midwest heritage.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I looked there were FREE non resident youth tags in MN for selected areas beginning at age 10. That's where I took my daughter for her first two deer. Just sitting in the blind watching stuff with her was a treasured time for me. Have to thank a fellow NDA'er again for making it possible. Might be worth a look for some of you guys looking to get your kids started. You can check it out on the MN DNR website.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a few comments about deer gun season that I have experienced with my boys over the years. I am all for getting the youth involved in all types of hunting when they are mentally and physically able. What Ive seen happen in my house with deer gun season hasn't been a hunter friendly experience. Both my boys received their youth permit to hunt deer when they were 14. We did all the things a guy does to make it successful. Both boys shot nice deer. They were hooked. This is where the problem started for us. It took one of them another 6 years to draw their next tag in our area and the second one got his next tag after applying for 7 years. 14 years old to 20 or 21...So one of the boys bought a deer rifle after his first season and only shot it one season after that and the second one never saw the need to buy one as he knew he wouldn't be drawing for a few years anyway. I can't imagine growing up and not owning a deer rifle and not being able to shoot a deer most every year. I introduced both boys to bow hunting and they both bow hunt deer but don't have too much interest in rifle hunting for deer and I can't blame them. In my family, deer season is no longer a big family get together like it was when I was growing up. Pretty disappointed but not much I can do about it. They are gone from the deer gun sport in ND.

This is what has always bothered me about the program. However, it's up to the parents to make greater strides to keep their kids excited and provide them additional hunting opportunities. Last year my 14 year old nephew shot his first buck and was super excited. I started going through when he would draw his next tag and thought about how shitty the wait would be for him, so for Christmas I purchased him a SD preference point and this year I'm buying him a whitetail buck tag in West River. I know MN, MT and WY have great easy to draw hunting opportunities as well. Let's not put the entire blame for lower deer numbers on G&F as mother nature and farming practices generally dictates the rise and fall of the deer herd.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what has always bothered me about the program. However, it's up to the parents to make greater strides to keep their kids excited and provide them additional hunting opportunities. Last year my 14 year old nephew shot his first buck and was super excited. I started going through when he would draw his next tag and thought about how shitty the wait would be for him, so for Christmas I purchased him a SD preference point and this year I'm buying him a whitetail buck tag in West River. I know MN, MT and WY have great easy to draw hunting opportunities as well. Let's not put the entire blame for lower deer numbers on G&F as mother nature and farming practices generally dictates the rise and fall of the deer herd.

145,000 tags after2-3 very very very harsh winters had most to do with it .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17