2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost- Who's got one

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost went with a 3.0 Duramax Sierra Elevation. Here is what made me go gas ford:

*concern with short trips- I make alot of 5 mile runs. Problematic with diesels.
*oil changes- i like to do my own. The stuff GM specs is+$80 for the oil and filter. Ecoboost is 5W30 that I buy at a Black Friday sale for $15/ 5 quart jug.
*Fuel tank capacity. The 36 gallon tank is neat
*Key pad outside the door. This has saved my butt multiple times. Not sure why GM doesn't have this. Maybe they do and I'm not aware.
*Ford was offering $5500 off MSRP. GM was at $2000 off MSRP

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently drive a 2009 F250 that gets around 16.8 mpg unloaded and at highway speeds, or about 12.5 mpg towing anything, and a 2015 Toyota 4Runner that gets a combined 16.4 mpg as my daily driver.

I really love the F250 for towing the boat, pontoon and occasional other trailers of various weights, so I plan on keeping it for a while since I just painted it and it only has 156k on it. So, I've been thinking about ditching the 4Runner for something else. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great vehicle, but I'm thinking of an F150 with a 2.7 L engine for a daily driver. Gives me almost all the same interior room and one would still have a bed for hauling other stuff. What are the downsides of the newer F150s with the 2.7 L, or are there none? Parking?

In short, a pickup that averages better mileage than the 4Runner is awfully attractive, and the new 4Runners are listed at even slightly lower MPG (16/19) than my 2015 which was listed at 16/20 when I bought it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welp,

Took the dive and bought a '23 2.7 ecoboost.

Initial impressions:
Good gas milage unloaded. If I keep it under 70 MPH the computer shows 25 MPG. With a 36 gallon tank that's a nice range.
When I go interstate speeds North of 75 MPH the compute shows +-20 MPG.
Pulls the 19' boat like a champ. Coming from the old 5.4 liter this thing is lightyears better. Solid 13 MPG loaded down with the boat/ family/ dogs/ gear. Better than the 10 MPG the old rig was getting.
Has a weird little metal on metal rattle when it starts. My Honda generator has a deeper growl. This is no surprise as we run 2.7's, 3.5's, and 5.0 for work pickups. The 2.7's have proven to be very reliable.

So far I like it. No regrets.
Was it hard to find a 2.7? I look occasionally and it seems like there are very few of them on lots (plenty of 3.5s). Do they just sell out or are they not making many of them?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it hard to find a 2.7? I look occasionally and it seems like there are very few of them on lots (plenty of 3.5s). Do they just sell out or are they not making many of them?

Not sure about historical availability, but Eide in Bismarck has a pile of new ones right now:

https://eideford.com/sale/ford-f150-bismarck-nd

Under the "More Filters" you can choose the 2.7 L engine as a search criteria.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Actually, for the most part the 2.7L are the easier ones to find. You may notice the 3.5L more mostly due to the fact that it ends up in the higher end trims as an ordered option or in some of the certain high trim levels, its the only option. In Lariat and below trim level trucks, the 2.7L is definitely more prevalent.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about historical availability, but Eide in Bismarck has a pile of new ones right now:

https://eideford.com/sale/ford-f150-bismarck-nd

Under the "More Filters" you can choose the 2.7 L engine as a search criteria.
definetly had to hit the more filters --- otherwise what the web pages opens to --- you might as will get that Sequoia for those price tags.

I just wonder though if we not at that tipping point. I got a good deal on mine but it was a december cold as hell and they wanted to get rid of the 500 A's lariats they had as they said ford wasnt going to make em anymore.

Seems like the car lots are full here and the marine dealers ugh --- two of them i know ordered a bunch of toons and boats --- all of which have been sitting as is since spring. Very few of my friends are buying. Most bought during covid and they are just getting them broke in.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ford currently has a 5.0L, 6.8L, and 7.3L in V8 engine configurations with the later two only available in the superduty’s.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69