2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost- Who's got one

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest pos I’ve ever driven I have a 2018 . Junk . Pull trailer and turbos will over heat and when u stop to gas up pickup will shut off . Too light terrible in wind . Overall a giant hunk of crap

You got something wrong with yours. I have a 2019 with 52k miles, with over half of those pulling between 8k and 11k pounds. I've never once had a problem with the turbos.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nothing against Ford and the eco-boost, but do they really get any better mileage than a typical V8? My GMC with a 5.3 and size bigger AT tires got 20.5 last weekend coming home from the lake doing 77 and absolutely calm winds (no tail wind). I've also done multiple 2500 mile round trips to ID with a full bed of gear driving 80 in ND and 84 in MT and averaged over 19 mpg. It seems like the Eco's can get a hair better if conditions are perfect and they aren't loaded or towing, but as soon as you add weight, wind etc, they actually get worse than V8.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nothing against Ford and the eco-boost, but do they really get any better mileage than a typical V8? My GMC with a 5.3 and size bigger AT tires got 20.5 last weekend coming home from the lake doing 77 and absolutely calm winds (no tail wind). I've also done multiple 2500 mile round trips to ID with a full bed of gear driving 80 in ND and 84 in MT and averaged over 19 mpg. It seems like the Eco's can get a hair better if conditions are perfect and they aren't loaded or towing, but as soon as you add weight, wind etc, they actually get worse than V8.

I would say no they don't. I didn't buy mine for the mpg's, I bought it for the torque without going to a 3/4 diesel.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where the Eco boost saves gas is in town or if your driving 65 and below. My wifes 4 runner makes worse mileage then my 3.5eco. 18-19 in town.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great info. Thanks all for sharing.

5.0 is being considered as a lot the miles I would put on this new rig would be for trips (interstate speeds) & pulling a boat around. I have a work truck for commuting.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
First problem I see with what you are looking at is it starts with the letter F. :;:duel ;:;rofl

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welp,

Took the dive and bought a '23 2.7 ecoboost.

Initial impressions:
Good gas milage unloaded. If I keep it under 70 MPH the computer shows 25 MPG. With a 36 gallon tank that's a nice range.
When I go interstate speeds North of 75 MPH the compute shows +-20 MPG.
Pulls the 19' boat like a champ. Coming from the old 5.4 liter this thing is lightyears better. Solid 13 MPG loaded down with the boat/ family/ dogs/ gear. Better than the 10 MPG the old rig was getting.
Has a weird little metal on metal rattle when it starts. My Honda generator has a deeper growl. This is no surprise as we run 2.7's, 3.5's, and 5.0 for work pickups. The 2.7's have proven to be very reliable.

So far I like it. No regrets.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2013 and 2018 F150 4 doors in the 3.5. and the difference in MPG and torque is night and day different. The 2018 pulls 20 mpg plus driving 75 mph. I looking at selling my 2013 Platinum for a 2020 or 2021 in a 2.7 Just to run down the highway for mileage.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My effn 2023 Ford F150 5.0 has not had better than 17mpg, and the Ford Pass app has never worked right. Been in the shop twice for this fix, and is in there again today to see what needs to happen.

Being able to us your phone anywhere in the world to start the pickup is awesome when landing at airports, but sadly I wouldn't know... :mad:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
.......the Ford Pass app has never worked right. Been in the shop twice for this fix, and is in there again today..........

Being able to us your phone anywhere in the world to start the pickup is awesome when landing at airports, but sadly I wouldn't know... :mad:

Weird, both our Ford Pass for my pickup and the Lincoln Pass for the wifes car have worked great. Much better than what we had for the wifes last buick. I was always having to re-log into that one as it would forget me since I didn't use it very often. I assume you bought your 23' new? I know they have to go through a process to nuke the connection information if it was previously owned which has to be done by the dealer and it takes some time. Heck, we both have each other vehicles on both of our phones which great. I have her pick up stuff or bring stuff to town regularly and I just pull up to her car and use the app to unlock it to grab stuff out of the car and relock. Of course we have the keyless number pads on the doors also........... so there's that option too.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friends have them fords and we are always ribbing each other I hate ford maybe why to many issues for two I had. SLE those are some impress miles per gallon. My friends don't baby them when they drive and neither do I. They avg for 3.5 15 to 19 empty and when pull something 8 to 12, I have seen it in person. How in hell do you guys get 25 and up. Christ my wife's car does 30 if lucky. I run a chevy with 6.2 and love it I got HP and torque and the damn thinks runs when I put my foot on loud peddle. The Fords after certain RPM they shift down and suck the gas bad. The chevy I have no problem and no turbo either. Not ramming RPM gauge to moon and back every hill which is everywhere. You can't care about milage when pulling it is the nature of the beast, or go sticky diesel is my two cents.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am happy with my 2.7 ---- i no longer have a camper; i wouldnt want to pull a big camper like i had with it (3.5 you didnt know it was hooked on). Mileage overall since born on date (has not been reset) 20.8. It actually gets better mileage in town then the interstate at 80plus. If you run it around 70 on hwy 10 it is the best almost 25. In town is where one gains the $$$ vs something else on fuel. In other words its a grocery getter.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.2 vs 3.5 ------3.5 especially with my old tranny ---- no shift down with the old 6 speed. The turbo would kick in and it would suck gas. I had my camper overall 35 foot long hooked on my 3.5 1/2 ton - pull a hill and that SOB would not kick down at 70mph. All it did was drink fuel and the turbo would run hard.

Now this year i took out my buddies toon with his 6.2 --- throttled it down on the hwy --- the 6.2 is all noise no neck jerk. Ecos is a neck jerk hold onto your beer. But they suck fuel. Just like my rude

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's almost time to let the 2011 F-150 go and get a new truck so I've been looking. I really like the looks of the new Tundra's but you can no longer get one in a V8 and they now have one of the lowest towing capacities. I was also told that you cannot put a 5th wheel plate in the box. More than likely I will stick to Ford when the time comes.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
After 30 years as a GM employee...ive been through all these powertrain changes.

I remember our first energy crunch,mid 80's, feds imposes nationwide max freeway/hiway speeds @ 55mph,gas stations closed on sundays,no semi traffic on sunday....

At that time GM nixed big block engines,infact the max v8 for trucks was the 305v8 1500 to 3500 p/u...gutless 2 barrel carbs,gasoline prices jumped from under $.20gal to $.40+gallon,

All manufacturers scrambled for fuel economy, some of you might remember GM's shitshow converting the 5.7 v8 to diesel ,nightmare

Few years later ,things settled down, both ford and GM reintroduced small block v8 engines with throttle body fuel injection/w hydrolic manuel transmission or a 4 spd automatic,fast forward today big horsepower is back,turbo's etc

My take on GM's 2.7lit which is now standard on GM's 1500 trucks,suck unless one uses the truck as a grocery getter,so under powered but that's my OP,sad GM phased out the 4.3 v6 across the board,i suspect the feds/epa has our auto makers by the short hairs since 2007 banko bail out,dictating fuel economy veicles for all.

I read that fords ecoboost has or had turbo issues? At or around 70k,not true?

Further regarding trailering the 3.5 owner manuel pg 200 recommended using high octane fuel to avoid engine knocking, engine run on, but that was a few years ago when i demo'd a ford f150 w/3.5 eco,guessing positive upgrades have been made.

Goodluck with whatever you land on,wasn't long ago chatter here was truck guyz were dumping the eco and went back to fords 5lit.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I for surely want to stick to the 5.0 when the time comes. I am thinking in two years I will be in a new one. Hopefully they won't cost $10,000 more than today by then.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I for surely want to stick to the 5.0 when the time comes. I am thinking in two years I will be in a new one. Hopefully they won't cost $10,000 more than today by then.
Ford GMd the 5.0 with the sequence bs that they do on all GMs. Ford had issues as GM has since day 1. Not sure if they switched them back. They are not your daddy's 5.0 anymore.

GM -- 2.7 four banger turbo sequenced too --- unbelievable shitty engineering to shut down 4 bangers so what it runs on 3.

Ford ecos --- 3.5 mine had close to 150 before i traded it. I think if you treat em right you get alot more out of it until you need to replace the turbos.

Direct Injection --- ford has this so does my boat motor. They want 87 octane --- 87 is hotter then 91. My boat will do 2-3 miles faster at Wot if i run 87. The problem with 87 is finding 87 without ethanol for my boat. Per the onwers manual F150 wants 87 thats what i run. My 3.5 nor my 2.7 ford eco have never knocked.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My effn 2023 Ford F150 5.0 has not had better than 17mpg, and the Ford Pass app has never worked right. Been in the shop twice for this fix, and is in there again today to see what needs to happen.

Operator error maybe 😬

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
6.2 vs 3.5 ------3.5 especially with my old tranny ---- no shift down with the old 6 speed. The turbo would kick in and it would suck gas. I had my camper overall 35 foot long hooked on my 3.5 1/2 ton - pull a hill and that SOB would not kick down at 70mph. All it did was drink fuel and the turbo would run hard.

Now this year i took out my buddies toon with his 6.2 --- throttled it down on the hwy --- the 6.2 is all noise no neck jerk. Ecos is a neck jerk hold onto your beer. But they suck fuel. Just like my rude

Eco. Boost.

Pick one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74