2023 ND Deer Rifle Season

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7743.jpeg

My son was able to connect on his first buck. 230 yard heart shot.
Your son shot a damn cow with deer horns.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't see much in C1 yesterday, will be out early today

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a young 4x4 show up like a ghost in the tall grass 10 minutes after a grunt sequence tonight. I was glassing left to right and as I slowly swung right I settled on him staring straight at us from 40 yards away. Wind was in our favor so he didn't really know what we were, locked on each other for what felt like forever, then he bounded right and stopped 100 yards out. I rushed the shot and missed. Cool experience for me and the boys even though we fu%$ed it up.

I blame my manbun and the 6.5 CM

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a young 4x4 show up like a ghost in the tall grass 10 minutes after a grunt sequence tonight. I was glassing left to right and as I slowly swung right I settled on him staring straight at us from 40 yards away. Wind was in our favor so he didn't really know what we were, locked on each other for what felt like forever, then he bounded right and stopped 100 yards out. I rushed the shot and missed. Cool experience for me and the boys even though we fu%$ed it up.

Who's this "we" shit?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was pretty slow going to start off. Saw one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen right away opening day. He was bedded down 75 yards off the road on posted land. Walked many miles Saturday with no luck and finally sealed the deal Saturday evening. Both tags filled within an hour of each other. Now we might go shoot some birds this weekend.

YCbtx

Hunted out west with my daughter who did not fill her youth mulie buck tag during the September season (nerves and a big rack got the best of her on that trip). Put just short 7miles on the boots on Friday and another 6.5 on Saturday morning/afternoon. Saw a couple of very nice deer (one very old/very wide deer Saturday morning). Both were just out of her comfort range for distance, so she elected to pass...good on her (we had a good conversation about only shooting at a deer you have confidence in making a good shot). Really did not see that many deer overall considering how far away from the roads we got and the area we were hunting typically has a lot of deer (ridiculous amount of coyotes though). She passed on a small 2yr old buck on Saturday afternoon about 2.5 miles back into a some grasslands/state land. Saturday evening rolled around and we saw the first hint of rut for mulies. A decent 3yr old (tall/not wide) followed a pair of does down the side of a ridge and we were able to intercept them as they crossed a creek. Set up the bipod and she made a great shot. Buck ran 40yds and did a cartwheel. Tears and high fives followed (even tears from a proud dad). Was a great end to the season and she is now addicted to mule deer hunting out west!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunted Whitetail does in 4D SW of Belfield Saturday & Sunday. I have hunted these two sections for 30 plus years and have never seen this many whitetail deer in this area, both bucks and does. From what I witnessed the rut is definitely on with the whitetail. We watched a couple different bucks harassing and herding does away and another just standing out in the open with very little care we were there. My son harvested his doe Saturday morning and I harvested mine Sunday morning. We mostly sat in one spot and did very little walking.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like a big deer in that pic. And maybe old enough to be past his prime?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the sake of clarity I only own a figurative man bun.....not literal 🤣

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's too early and too warm.

Thanksgiving week could be golden by the looks of it. :cool:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been on the slow side around me but the bucks were moving a little Sunday just not the ones me and my buddy are looking for, we got 2-3 genetic misfits running around. Monday morning he filled out on a decent 4x4 and then moved one of our buddies and his father-in-law to the same blind and a few hours later the father-in-law filled his doe tag. Got a standing corn field that I think is playing a factor still, but one thing is for sure our deer numbers are way down from normal. I'm ok with this warm weather and hope this is a sign for months to come of a mild winter, beside most of my best deer have came with warmer weather when people say its too warm for deer to move, go ahead and keep thinking that

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is fairly obvious that ma nature did her thing last winter. Deer numbers are down all over from what i have seen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28