HB 1175

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also witnessed first hand a section of state land closed during gun season in 3F2.

Frankly, we should discuss discontinuing the use of some state land for production agriculture. Once it is dedicated to that purpose, it's utility to outdoorsmen as public land is altered, sometimes positively but more often negatively. I know and care for many people that make part of their living on state trust land. I'm not advocating for it but would like to explore the concept. To the family farm owners, this may seem like an affront but they should be far more concerned about Burgum opening the door to more industrial farming without protecting small operations because that will be the end for many regardless of their access to trust land.

NDGF is going down a path of diverting more federal and state money to private property owners which I do not believe will have a significant positive impact for most license holders. There are two square miles of state trust land in most townships, some of which could be managed for public opportunity far more effectively than private land. Private land partnerships are also important, but to overlook trust land as an avenue to increase opportunity is foolish.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ranch and I rent a quarter of stateland and I'm in favor of this. There is very little reason to allow posting of stateland and I can see how being able to post it causes abuse. I'm pretty sure I know of an outfitter that has some stateland posted around his place which shouldn't be.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, it has been abused by those that rent and some find ways to make it their private hunting ground.
However, once a landowner rents his property the renter has way more rights that what the landowner knows about unless agree to ahead of time.

If i put cattle on this land i want the right to keep people off until i remove the cattle. Public land and is to be enjoy by the public and not just a renter. State needs to fix it, db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pheasant;
Need to let the state know what is going on. Usually when this land comes up for bids it goes dirt cheap and usually only one bidder. Need to find the next bidding date and get in with a bid to make it yours private hunting ground.

As i understand renter cannot hunt on this land either if they post.
Guy up here posts and owns land next to it. Puts bait on his land next to state land. Does create issues.
Normally there is an ending date for renting in time for all to deer or whatever late fall to hunt on it. db

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This bill is long overdue. But it is going to take legislator contact to get it passed. I hunt six different sections of state school land for sharp-tails. The renters are good, they do a good job of conserving the grass and never post it. But I've seen some miserable renters too. It's fairly easy to avoid frightening the cows by staying out of sight behind the hills.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having known renters of State land that also put 1-3 bulls into a section so they could post it through deer season, I too would be good with some tightening of the requirements for allowing it to be posted. For now, it seems like some post it just to spite the hunting community and that should be sniffed out and prevented.

A complete ban on posting of rented State land though just seems likely to fail in our legislature.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A complete ban on posting of rented State land though just seems likely to fail in our legislature.
That was my initial reaction as well but the House majority leader is a co-sponsor so it may have legs.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should start a go fund me where all sportsmen can pay into it then use the funds to bid/rent pastured state land and just let the grass grow.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should start a go fund me where all sportsmen can pay into it then use the funds to bid/rent pastured state land and just let the grass grow.
Good idea untill 127 hunters show up to hunt the same quarter of land on opening day. lol

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good idea untill 127 hunters show up to hunt the same quarter of land on opening day. lol
It would be as many sections as the money could rent. It’s just first come first serve like every piece of available land is already.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Scroll above for my comments on state land use.

We have $9 billion in legacy funds invested in all kinds of entities that are opposed to our way of life.

We have well over 90% of the state privately owned.

Annual surface lease income is a drop in the bucket relative to legacy fund holdings.

Is the average taxpayer/resident/sportsman better off having the state collect rent on state land, or would we be willing to forego some of that income to make state ground more useful and accessible to the average resident?

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yes, that way my neighbors can fight over who hunts first.db

but really yes

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26