HB 1175: Prohibiting posting of state school land

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you haven't already contacted your REP to vote YES on this, do it NOW!!

23.0542.01000 Sixty-eighth Legislative Assembly of North Dakota Introduced by Representatives Steiner, Christensen, Henderson, Lefor, Louser, Tveit Senators Rummel, Sorvaag, Vedaa, Wobbema A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 15-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the posting of leased grant lands. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF NORTH DAKOTA: SECTION 1. A new section to chapter 15-04 of the North Dakota Century Code is created and enacted as follows: Posting of grant lands prohibited. Any grant lands leased for pasturage and meadow purposes must remain open to the public at all times. No lessee of any of the lands authorized to be leased under this chapter, nor the lessee's heirs or assigns, may post the leased tract for purposes of prohibiting public access.

I've personally witnessed a large increase in posted State School land over the past several years. Sometimes it's the best sharptail grouse hunting and deer hunting land around, especially in the couteau region. I foresee fewer and fewer opportunities for hunting in the future as it is, so any chance we can get to maintain what little access we have is a win in my book.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question - Are there any grant lands that have been tilled & planted ? If so, this bill would not apply to them

If you haven't already contacted your REP to vote YES on this, do it NOW!!

23.0542.01000 Sixty-eighth Legislative Assembly of North Dakota Introduced by Representatives Steiner, Christensen, Henderson, Lefor, Louser, Tveit Senators Rummel, Sorvaag, Vedaa, Wobbema A BILL for an Act to create and enact a new section to chapter 15-04 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the posting of leased grant lands. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF NORTH DAKOTA: SECTION 1. A new section to chapter 15-04 of the North Dakota Century Code is created and enacted as follows: Posting of grant lands prohibited. Any grant lands leased for pasturage and meadow purposes must remain open to the public at all times. No lessee of any of the lands authorized to be leased under this chapter, nor the lessee's heirs or assigns, may post the leased tract for purposes of prohibiting public access.

I've personally witnessed a large increase in posted State School land over the past several years. Sometimes it's the best sharptail grouse hunting and deer hunting land around, especially in the couteau region. I foresee fewer and fewer opportunities for hunting in the future as it is, so any chance we can get to maintain what little access we have is a win in my book.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of it where we hunt is pasture land. I also haven't noticed any of being posted in the area we hunt. You can always play around on Onxmaps to see if any has been tilled.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question - Are there any grant lands that have been tilled & planted ? If so, this bill would not apply to them

Yes, but there aren't many that I've found over the years. But I can think of at least one that has some cropland. Not all of it, but maybe 60% is crop.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I played around on Onx for a bit. I didn't find any that was crop. Some was cut for hay and I found some that was landlocked. Will they make it so it has to be accessible even if everything around it is posted?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long over due but needs to be amended to foot traffic only, or there be dirt bikes, dune buggy, etc. raising hell out there.
It already is non vehicle access only, But that does not apply to the lessee, which I think it should

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel pretty strongly about this bill, I shot a really big buck on state land, there was cows on it, I snuck thru the hills without bothering the cows and shot the buck. The leasee wanted the buck I shot. Within 48 hrs that land was legally posted to public access. The leasee and his family hunted it before and I’m told after the closure.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel pretty strongly about this bill, I shot a really big buck on state land, there was cows on it, I snuck thru the hills without bothering the cows and shot the buck. The leasee wanted the buck I shot. Within 48 hrs that land was legally posted to public access. The leasee and his family hunted it before and I’m told after the closure.
It wall illegal for anyone to hunt the land after it was legally posted, even the lessee

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
correct, did you know a game warden can’t enforce that rule? Only the department of trust lands, so who’s going to stop them?
So then could the game warden enforce the posting of it for others? If not just hunt it.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
correct, did you know a game warden can’t enforce that rule? Only the department of trust lands, so who’s going to stop them?
That I did not know. I do know I called The department of trust lands on a piece out by Sentinel Butte that was illegally posted and the next weekend the sign was removed. They also said if the guy is a repeat offender they can and will revoke his lease.

hoythunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I understand, they can enforce on behalf of the leasee/dept of trust lands. But when the game warden was at my house the day after I got my buck investigating me for a number of reports made by the leasee (all false) he told me there was nothing he could do if the leasee hunted it after closure.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Life is never fair, and we always find way to make it unfair it seems for the neighbors.
Whitetail deer, i wonder if they know all the problems, they cause with us humans manly around the fall and early winter of every year. db

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
would this be covered under this bill? if not the bill should be expanded to cover "trust lands" also imo...
20221112_084227.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
would this be covered under this bill? if not the bill should be expanded to cover "trust lands" also imo...
20221112_084227.jpg

Posting & Restricted Access​

Only signs furnished from the Department of Trust Lands can post School Trust Lands.
Signs (see below) are available to lessees, free of charge, to post School Trust Lands. These signs must be requested by filling out the form provided below and renewed annually. Please allow a minimum of two weeks to receive signs.
"Closed to Public Access"
  • School Trust Lands posted with this sign are closed to the public.
  • Hunting is not allowed on Closed school trust land by anyone, including the lessee.
  • The signs are effective only for the listed dates on the sign.
  • Closed signs are not available if the tract of land is managed with a significant amount of other adjacent private, state or federal lands.
Closed Sign

"Notify the Lessee Before Entering"
  • School Trust Lands posted with this sign require lessee notification prior to anyone entering the land.
  • Lessee notification is defined as, calling and speaking to the lessee directly, calling and leaving a detailed message for the lessee or making a reasonable attempt at trying to contact the lessee.
  • Lessee is required to provide a working telephone number with voicemail set up.
  • The lessee may let the public know about conditions on the land, others who are hunting, or ask them to be careful. Notification of the lessee can be as simple as a voicemail or a note in the door. The lessee may not refuse access or place conditions on access unless the person requesting access has abused the land or personal property in the past.
  • The signs are effective only for the dates listed on the sign.
Notify Lessee Sign

"Walking Access Only"
  • School Trust Lands posted with this sign reminds the public that only walking access is allowed on school trust lands and that vehicles must be left at the gate or section line. This sign is helpful when there have been previous occurrences of vehicles on the land.
Walking Access Sign

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even with cows they are open here. Even though some will try and run you off.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84