HB 1377 - Party Hunting

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean you guys shoot each other’s birds and catch each other’s fish….heathens
Couldn’t agree more
When my sons are done catching their fish I make them put their rods away nobody likes party fisherman…….:p

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big game no, birds and fish yes. As long as not going over the daily limit.

Many years ago fishing the Grano bridge shoulder to shoulder. A guy and his wife had their 10 eyes in a bucket, game warden drives up as they were leaving and says, you 2 need to come with me, guy says we only have 10 in the bucket. Game warden says no, you caught 3 and she caught 7. I have pictures and she's getting a ticket for 2 over the limit. It's the law, I get that, but what a dick move.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this bill was to allow party fishing or small game hunting I'd be all for it. I've hunted and fished with lots of different groups of people and I've never expected or been expected to stop shooting or fishing when they or I had a limit. This is a bad deal for big game hunting. Success rates will without a doubt go up, affecting already tough draw odds.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When my older daughter left home and went out in the world one of many things i told her, you shoot your own deer and be sure to let your husband know that and others know before the hunt.
One of her first hunts with others a punk kid, she did not know, shoots a deer, turns and looks for my daughter's tag. We all know how that went. Men have not changed much over the years in how they treat women. db

Last edited:

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always wanted to have the option to donate my gratis tag to a groups like sporting chance or wounded warriors if I didn’t want to fill my tag that year. Some years I get plenty of meat in the freezer and I don’t need that tag. I don’t want party hunting though as I’ve been part of that growing up and hunting in a large group. Many times I watched dad tag people’s deer that weren’t his because it was all shot up and no one wanted to claim it. Also seen peoples daughters come out only to put a tag on and leave. I’m sure that still happens some but making it legal is a bad idea. I do wish at times I could let my nieces and nephews and soon my kids shoot my deer for me legally.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
illegal is illegal it doesn't matter how you feel towards one or the other.
And thank God there is discretion afforded to LE.

I worked under a couple Democrat/New Zealand type fascists who got pissed when I didn't put kids etc in the blotter. I went from patrol car to fence line more than a couple times. Conversely I was put on the shit list a couple times by arch "conservatives" who's knees went to rubber when my troop's rubber hit the road. I thank God for a few good Lt's and commanders.

That is all.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been told that and it seems thats even up to the wardens discretion. We had a fed check us and birds were in random piles by blinds and he told us we get the wrong ass hole his words we could get a ticket. He said he likes to apply common sense to the law. Good guy
I agree there should be common sense. Years ago we had a federalie rip into the decoys and jump into the pit after a good volley. We had birds in piles by coincidence and he commented that if they hadn’t been we could have been ticketed. Whatever. We had no idea who shot which one. He went through everything but my backside looking for lead shells lasers and nukes. 15 minutes later he left.

Interactions like that are all driven by guided hunting in that area. Guides who let clients shoot their birds. We hit the end of that era north of Pierre before the public hunting got big.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
illegal is illegal it doesn't matter how you feel towards one or the other.
Obi, I fully agree. I was simply pointing out that my thoughts on the subject are that I feel I would be ok with them legalizing party hunting in the pursuit of non-lottery license required game. I was in no way stating that I participate in it currently, just stating my stance on it in those certain situations if the law was changed.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A party of 5 and the last to shoot a deer gets to hunt by himself. Some buddies.

There is a place for one to let someone use his/her tag but as humans we seem to find ways to screw that up. After my dad used my tag a handful of times in my younger years (I had no problem with that as he was my dad) i taught my kids different. Would be nice if we could police ourselves.

T:
Sometimes (????) wardens are pricks. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve always wanted to have the option to donate my gratis tag to a groups like sporting chance or wounded warriors if I didn’t want to fill my tag that year. Some years I get plenty of meat in the freezer and I don’t need that tag. I don’t want party hunting though as I’ve been part of that growing up and hunting in a large group. Many times I watched dad tag people’s deer that weren’t his because it was all shot up and no one wanted to claim it. Also seen peoples daughters come out only to put a tag on and leave. I’m sure that still happens some but making it legal is a bad idea. I do wish at times I could let my nieces and nephews and soon my kids shoot my deer for me legally.

On a quick read, that sounds like a pretty noble thing to do. But once that door gets opened there will be a dollar value assigned to a gratis tag. You think there is friction growing between the land-owning community and the Average Joe hunter now? Things would escalate quickly as every owner of a quarter of land would increasingly lock down their lands to receive the maximum value for their gratis tag.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a quick read, that sounds like a pretty noble thing to do. But once that door gets opened there will be a dollar value assigned to a gratis tag. You think there is friction growing between the land-owning community and the Average Joe hunter now? Things would escalate quickly as every owner of a quarter of land would increasingly lock down their lands to receive the maximum value for their gratis tag.
I agree there would be problems. I don’t know if there are others like me who get a gratis but then maybe fill their bow tag or fill an elk tag somewhere and don’t need the meat. It just drives me nuts to waste the tag when others without the opportunity could have it.

I could be wrong and I think this is where the idea stuck in my head but I thought that wyoming or Montana had a program to donate tags back.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you saying you never hunted with a guy that claims every bird as being shot by him
20 years ago used to hunt with a group and one guy would claim he hit just about every bird. We were pass shooting geese and it was very obvious to everyone but him that I was the one killing the birds but he kept saying he got them as they fell. Another guy in the group later asked me if it bothered me that the other guy was claiming to hit birds that I had shot. I just laughed and said let him claim them he can clean them to and then I don't have to.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you saying you never hunted with a guy that claims every bird as being shot by him
Yes, a few times, and it was always over decoys. While that's irritating, I'm not sure how what I said applies? I've even been posting pheasants and one bird is shot by multiple guys. Whose bird is it? What if no one claims they hit it since it's shot to shit? I'd been hunting and fishing in ND for years before I even knew you couldn't "party fish". I think it's asinine for fishing. A couple years ago my buddy and I reeled in the same fish. Little bastard had BOTH our spinners in its mouth. I spose ND rules would say that 1 fish would count towards both our limits.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always got a bigger kick out of watching the kids or my bride shoot the deer and birds, rather than myself doing the shooting. I have killed plenty in my day and let the others have their turn.
There is just something about seeing your bride or kids or even someone elses kids get an animal. Their big smiles and their eyes tell it all. Don't forget to watch when they start shaking from all the excitement. Now that is priceless!

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always got a bigger kick out of watching the kids or my bride shoot the deer and birds, rather than myself doing the shooting. I have killed plenty in my day and let the others have their turn.
There is just something about seeing your bride or kids or even someone elses kids get an animal. Their big smiles and their eyes tell it all. Don't forget to watch when they start shaking from all the excitement. Now that is priceless!
I am the exact same way. I actually don't mind when I don't get a tag so I can help the wife and kids get their deer. On another note, I told my wife about this and she said "nobody is going to shoot my deer". On the other hand I could care less. Especially if it's a doe tag.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess, we also all know of some friends that really enjoy a few game birds and some venison. But if it was left up to them to harvest the critters, they would only be eating feathers and track soup, due to thee abysmal shooting display.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80