SD Road Hunting

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up in the 70's n 80's in SD was fun!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,i remember 70's,sodak locals,road hunting,shotgun barrels hanging out the vehicle windows....hahaha, legal,then following year,stop vehicle,one foot on the ground,"bang">now stop vehicle,turn engine off,move 15' from vehicle before firing....unless this changed again,have not read 2023 regs yet.

Growing up in the 70's n 80's in SD was fun

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO: "Hunting" guns should not allowed to be "hot" during transport. All firearms cannot be fired at game within 25ft of a public improved road. Trespass laws are still in place.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,i remember 70's,sodak locals,road hunting,shotgun barrels hanging out the vehicle windows....hahaha, legal,then following year,stop vehicle,one foot on the ground,"bang">now stop vehicle,turn engine off,move 15' from vehicle before firing....unless this changed again,have not read 2023 regs yet.
You have never had to turn vehicle off or be 15’ from it . Just have to get out

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have never had to turn vehicle off or be 15’ from it . Just have to get out
Really? Guess i miss read game laws,two years ago,thanx for verification kurt,not that i followed what i read,not a fan of road hunting in my old age of roll up and bail out,i perfer working my pup,more enjoyment watching pup work than killing a couple birds these days.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
this isnt legal in ND?? :cool: Barrell out -- let em fly a ways so you dont shoot em up-- shorthair riding shotgun open the door and have her go under the posted line to fetch, but sees a deer and proceeds to chase it all the way to Canada.

Fixed it for you.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's nothing like sliding sideways on a snowy section line while making a long lead shot out the window and knees on the steering wheel.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Preferred method:

Spot ditch chickens ahead, in the ditch, with posted land on both sides of course.

Have buddies jump out and get in the back of the pickup.

Drive by ditch chickens without stopping and have buddies blast away as you pass.

Ditch chickens very rarely run or even move at higher rates of speed

And Farmer Joe has no idea what happened while on patrol. This confuses them.

Come back at a latter time and pick up ditch chickens.

Crack beers and continue....

PS: Go in for lunch with limit, eat, drink more beer, then proceed back out for second limit.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm much more interested in dog-work than bird body-count. While I'm certainly not opposed to shooting birds out of the ditch, it's after I've driven off a ways, turned the dog loose, and let him flush the bird.

I have 0 issues gunning varmints from inside a vehicle, but I have a BIG issue with a hot chamber prior to the muzzle clearing the open window.

While afoot my shotgun chamber is "hot", but my rifle chamber rarely is hot unless I've spotted a target or I'm stationary in an ambush scenario.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not allowing one in the barrel while traveling is totally against the second unless you believe in picking and choosing what applies

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
In sodak,road ditches can be rewarding,however drop a bird across the wire fence,some farmers will chew your ass,

Scouting a new area to hunt pheasants near "winner" sodak,one heck ofa pheasant meca,most private land i came across is usually a hunt operation as i found out one day,birds were bunched up in December, 100's scratching and graveling,groups of hunters everywhere in the distance,had a farmer tailing me for miles,i pulled over as well as the farmer did right on my rear bumper,chatted with the awnry old fart,asked him what's up? he said if you drop a bird across my fence,thats my bird,private property,apparently farmer raises and releases pheasants during summer months and advertises wild pheasant hunts rather than plant and charge per bird for groups, dude was a dick about road hunters even tho i had no intentions to jump birds in road ditch,asked him what he charges hunters,this was several years ago as i was traveling back home from a hunting trip in nebraska,$350/day per gun,bet that price has doubled by now?eye opening encounter,local winner small craft airport was jumping with outof state hunters flying in jumping on bus shuttles to various outfitter farms nearby,eye opening commercial business not my deal.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The road hunting is a mess in the pheasant rich areas, particularly around paid hunting operations. But when there is no land access that is what you get. Nothing worse than looking over your shoulder the whole time, same feeling I get when I’m hunting unposted land in ND. Just doesn’t feel right in either scenario.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I can say is " Mini Van with sliding door "
Just can't get myself to drive a mini van,but spot on,surprised the ghetto gang bangers haven't figured this out,as they tend to drive byein the hood.guess mini vans in the hood ain't cool

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I can say is " Mini Van with sliding door "
I hope you mean sliding door on both sides and a competent pilot who can get the power doors open for you and get the vehicle speed correct while you're getting in position.......

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84