commission to supervise the NDGF

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't always agree with what the G&F does, but I'm willing to bet I would disagree more with a commission of legislatures making decisions than the G&F. Have you seen some of the bills introduced this session? There isn't a better example of why we don't need yearly sessions than looking through so many "waste of time" examples.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a link to MT FWP Commission. It is made up of ranchers, instagram hunters, CEOs (oil and gas/Outdoor products), and outfitters.
https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/commission/members

I suppose the ND legislature was so overwhelmed by the support to give them powers over the NDGF, they decided to now take it a step further. Reap what you sow!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dan Vermillion served on Montana wildlife and Parks Commission for twelve years. That is not him on the right.

obama-vermillion.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The commission should be two thirds nda members with every decision brought to the peanut gallery for thoughtful debate.
Johnr, KDM and guywhofishes. Kurtr lives out of State. No Camper no Watson.

Democrats are just wired wrong. They will want to pack the court.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems one State agency doesn't know what the other is doing.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/utah-implements-emergency-deer-feeding/

Utah to Implement Emergency Feeding Plan Due to Deep Snow and Poor Deer Health​

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources says it's the first time the agency is taking this action since 2017

BY SAGE MARSHALL | PUBLISHED JAN 24, 2023 12:00 PM
WOW!! So a hunter placing bait to increase harvest opportunity could spread disease and is an illegal offense, but the Utah DWR is now going to place feed which will only concentrate animals moreso than baiting would have during the hunting season when conditions were most likely milder and deer were more spread out? Okay, got it!(y)

Keep in mind, Utah DWR is a member of the AFWA alliance which scorns the practice of feeding wildlife that promotes artificial congregation of deer. Hypocrites....this is a prime example of "do as I say, not as I do" from another government agency. I'm so sick of the double standard.

As a governing agency that manages wildlife, you either subscribe to the ideology that artificial congregation increases the likelihood of disease transmission and therefore you pledge to elimiate all avenues of human intervention, or you don't. You don't get to claim that on one hand what a group of people does is bad and jeopardizes the herd, but then on the other go and do the exact same thing while claiming you are trying to preserve the herd. Un-freakin-real!

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
In regards to this particular bill...this was presented by a senator as a study and it is not a commision of legislatures as one pointed out above. This is NOT a bill to create a commission in this session...It is a bill to initiate a study to identify any benefits and/or drawbacks that a commission might serve for the state of North Dakota, and to iron out details of how it would work with our current laws and century code. It would also develop an opinion if a commission is appropriate for our state, or if the current system of a single appointed director remains the best option for making decisions for our wildlife division.

This is nothing more than a bill to "initiate a study"...let's not overthink it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We all know how studies work, hopefully. They find whatever the funder of the studies wants to find, so next session they have some 'legitimacy' to make whatever changes they want to make now.

IMO there is pressure for legislators to 'legislate' (IE create or modify laws), else constituents feel they arent doing anything and its easier to challenge them next election. The amount of law on the books in the US could fill warehouses, but if they arent creating more they arent happy.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ND already has an NDGF Advisory Committee that nobody listens to, so why not another one....? This new committee won't stop bull shite bills from legislators coming through every session. It will just grease the skids. The committee would be packed with farm org members to sell off public wildlife to the highest bidder.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Utah is feeding pelleted feed. They should put some humic acid in it. It's cheap, it's natural and only 30 # per ton.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
In regards to this particular bill...this was presented by a senator as a study and it is not a commision of legislatures as one pointed out above. This is NOT a bill to create a commission in this session...It is a bill to initiate a study to identify any benefits and/or drawbacks that a commission might serve for the state of North Dakota, and to iron out details of how it would work with our current laws and century code. It would also develop an opinion if a commission is appropriate for our state, or if the current system of a single appointed director remains the best option for making decisions for our wildlife division.

This is nothing more than a bill to "initiate a study"...let's not overthink it.
I don't know you personally so I have no idea what the legitimacy of this statement is, but the group who sent me this bill and wants us to support it said that your dad wrote the bill. Is that true? And if so, you would know the intentions much more than the rest of us.

I am 100% against having anyone in the ag sector in charge of governing management of wildlife. It sure does feel like that whole slippery slope thing people have been talking about is coming to fruition.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2