.270 Win Load Recommendations?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is red rep is that a new dance move they do in the gay bars?

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 270, 280,3006 are all so damn easy to load for... pick a bullet that suits your needs.
For crying out loud, it ONLY takes 35 ft lbs to go clean thru a deer, and 45 for a moose/elk. everything else is bar room BS and shock value.
Take a mid speed powder and a mid weight bullet and enjoy it... You can play with magnum powders and long barrels with heavy bullets.
With a factory pipe, good luck.... but then again, you may get lucky.
Long story short. Shut up and shoot the damn deer... most people around here have a hard time engaging a static target at over 500 , let alone a runner.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a 270 win. I load for a buddy who has one. IMR4350 behind a 140 HPBT. Garbage BC but it doesn't matter. He hasn't shot anything over 300 with it and probably never will. If he ever wants to start stretching it out, we will put together a load with a better BC to help with wind calls.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
4350 speed propellants are probably the best "bang" for your buck with the 270.... unless your pipe is over 24 inches.... then 4831/rl22 is going to be more friendly.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
4350 speed propellants are probably the best "bang" for your buck with the 270.... unless your pipe is over 24 inches.... then 4831/rl22 is going to be more friendly.

Jack O'Connor's favorite load was 60 gr of H4831 under a 130 gr bullet. Today that load is reduced to 59 gr in most books. Jack O'Connor was considered the father of the 270 Winchester. He and Elmer Keith were always at each other about the 270. Keith didn't think anything would kill elk until you hit 338 caliber. O'Connor used the 270 on Grizzly. Mostly to tick of Keith I think.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a 270 win. I load for a buddy who has one. IMR4350 behind a 140 HPBT. Garbage BC but it doesn't matter. He hasn't shot anything over 300 with it and probably never will. If he ever wants to start stretching it out, we will put together a load with a better BC to help with wind calls.

B.c. Does not matter under 600 yards.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
B.c. Does not matter under 600 yards.

BC .395 at 3200 fps 600 yard drift with 10mph wind is 26.4 inches
BC .633 at 3000 fps at 600 yards drift with 10 mph wind is 16.2 inches.

Aim directly at a deer heart at 600 yards and I would much rather have the BC of .633 Velocity and BC both are important, but as you notice the faster bullet with the lower BC can entirely miss a deer. It misses the vitals on a moose. The high BC will miss the vitals on a deer, but you have a better chance given that you have a reasonable idea of what your load does. Of course if you know your rifle you can even hit with a poor BC, but it's an important variable. Wind will get you more often than elevation adjustment. The wind drift for a 22 caliber 50 gr soft point is crazy. At 3200 fps it's 55.2 inches.

BC is even more important to energy.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I said under 600. And those high b.c. Generally suck for raw knock down power compared to the partition.

- - - Updated - - -

you are also comparing 150 grain b.c's to the 130 which is comparing an apple to an orange.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I said under 600. And those high b.c. Generally suck for raw knock down power compared to the partition.

- - - Updated - - -

you are also comparing 150 grain b.c's to the 130 which is comparing an apple to an orange.

No, that isn't what I was comparing. Wrong on both cases. I was using 30 caliber. Weight makes no difference to wind, only ballistic coefficient. A 200 gr 30 caliber bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .435 will drift the same as a 100 gr smaller caliber with a ballistic coefficient of .435. Energy is another matter, but bullets of the same weight and caliber, but with different ballistic coefficients will have different energy. I can change it to 500 yards and it will then be under 600 and show the same big difference. Ballistic coefficient is why a 6.5 Creedmoor outperforms the 308 Winchester.

Bullet construction is important, but the big factor in penetration into animals is sectional density. Ballistic coefficient means nothing once the bullet meets the target.

I don't know what you mean by raw knockdown power. A high ballistic coefficient, a low ballistic coefficient if they hit the target at the same velocity have the same energy.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
May the odds be ever in your favor, because the physics are not. :D

May the odds be in your favor as experience is not.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that isn't what I was comparing. Wrong on both cases. I was using 30 caliber. Weight makes no difference to wind, only ballistic coefficient. A 200 gr 30 caliber bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .435 will drift the same as a 100 gr smaller caliber with a ballistic coefficient of .435. Energy is another matter, but bullets of the same weight and caliber, but with different ballistic coefficients will have different energy. I can change it to 500 yards and it will then be under 600 and show the same big difference. Ballistic coefficient is why a 6.5 Creedmoor outperforms the 308 Winchester.

Bullet construction is important, but the big factor in penetration into animals is sectional density. Ballistic coefficient means nothing once the bullet meets the target.

I don't know what you mean by raw knockdown power. A high ballistic coefficient, a low ballistic coefficient if they hit the target at the same velocity have the same energy.

Tell me why partitions cost double what your vld's do then? Why is that if they are inferior?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jlk bullets cost more. Matrix bullets cost more and are both vld

- - - Updated - - -

Judging a bullet by cost is odd wouldn't it be batter to judge it for end use?

I was wrong matrix bullets have gotten cheaper

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
And they are great at punching paper and suck on big game.

- - - Updated - - -

Jlk bullets cost more. Matrix bullets cost more and are both vld

- - - Updated - - -

Judging a bullet by cost is odd wouldn't it be batter to judge it for end use?

I was wrong matrix bullets have gotten cheaper

Haha you don't know shit hahahahaha

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is red rep?

- - - Updated - - -

And they are great at punching paper and suck on big game.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha you don't know shit hahahahaha

Well I got a bunch of dead animals that disagree​. Finally get your internet turned back on after spending all your money on the expensive bullets or what. Lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1